Cunard A Good Fit?

jkspringtexas

We are seriously considering taking a 50+ day cruise on the QM2 in January, however, after reading comments here on CC we just aren't sure if Cunard would be a good fit for us. The many postings here make Cunard sound like it is only for the wealthy and for those in a social class that we certainly aren't a part of.

We are just average middle class retirees that absolutely love to travel. We hope to have a wonderful time with a good mix of friendly passengers from all walks of life. Yes, we definitely know how to dress and act properly - wow lots has been written here about that issue!

Certainly Cunard isn't just for the privileged. Thanks everyone, we hope to hear that our fears are unfounded.

I am also an average middle-class retiree. I was a school teacher for 38 years so I am definitely not wealthy.:D In 2014 I did a world voyage on Cunard and loved every moment. Met many wonderful people from different walks of life but found most of them were not extremely wealthy nor were they "bluebloods" (or if they were, they kept it to themselves). Most people I met saved for a cruise, just as I do.

Much is posted about the so-called "class" system on Cunard. Unless I saw someone going to the Grills restaurant (they have a keycard that is used in the lifts to take them there), I would not know they were in a suite. (Actually a number of ships today have special restaurants and perks for suite passengers.) The days of barriers keeping the "classes" apart are gone.

The only people I would not recommend Cunard to are those who do not wish to dress in the evening. You, however, do not seem to have any problems with this.

I think you would be very happy on Cunard.

We are seriously considering taking a 50+ day cruise on the QM2 in January, however, after reading comments here on CC we just aren't sure if Cunard would be a good fit for us. The many postings here make Cunard sound like it is only for the wealthy and for those in a social class that we certainly aren't a part of.

We are just average middle class retirees that absolutely love to travel. We hope to have a wonderful time with a good mix of friendly passengers from all walks of life. Yes, we definitely know how to dress and act properly - wow lots has been written here about that issue!

Certainly Cunard isn't just for the privileged. Thanks everyone, we hope to hear that our fears are unfounded.

I am not upper class or wealthy and I love Cunard :)

If you enjoy dressing for dinner and relaxing in a calm civilised environment you will have a great time. A 50+ night trip is quite long for a taster cruise though.

Like Scrapnana, my wife and I are neither rich nor to the manor born. We've now crossed the Atlantic eight times on QM2 (it is addictive) and we've had a fabulous time on each every crossing. We've met people of all sorts and conditions from around the world, and we have yet to encounter a hint of snootiness from anyone.

I wouldn't hesitate for a minute in booking your 50+ day cruise. I only wish that we could do likewise.

I have spent 45 days on QM2 and I will be on QE for the whole World Cruise in January:D.I am retired and I have saved for that cruise and the others that I have taken. In every situation there are the very few who are compelled to exalt their own importance. Just remember , status is like sex and money, those who have it don’t talk about it.

Get on that cruise and have a wonderful time! The Queen awaits your pleasure. You will really enjoy it.

Dear Husband and I are happy inside cabin people. Over 100 days on Cunard ships (the majority on the QM2). Always comfortable, happy, and satisfied.

Britannia accommodations make-up the largest group on-board. People staying in the Grills rooms are far fewer by number. I have always considered most fellow passengers in the Main Dining Room to be (in general) solidly middle-class.

We have had very friendly exchanges with people who were staying in the Grills and never felt any uncomfortable atmosphere of snobbishness to be pervasive.

DH and I have also taken a couple segment voyages---one 36-day in the South Pacific and a wonderful 28-day cruise (on the QM2) around South America. We hope another (even longer) segment will be in our future. In my opinion, there is nothing so fabulous as sailing far and wide and really feeling like the ship is truly your home. The QM2 is a great vessel and such a lovely (if temporary) home.

50+ days !!!! What a great adventure awaits you !!!! Lucky, lucky you !!!

I also agree with Scrapnana who I met on the 2014 world cruise. I just did the half and got off in Sydney. In early 2015 I did the other half of the world cruise. I am a single traveller and I was cabin crew for a major British airline for 39 years. Definitely not wealthy. I just loved the cruise and everyone I met. Just people who enjoy travelling and I love the dress code on formal nights. The ship looks so lovely these evenings. Hope you enjoy your cruise.

I think the answers so far pretty much sum it up.

We were a bit concerned before our first Cunard experience in July, also worried that it might be a bit posh and the passengers a bit pretentious. To be honest we didn't see a bit of it. If anything we found far fewer people boasting about how many cruises they had been on or about how senior their loyalty status was than most other lines we have been with. Certainly the Brittania/Grills division was a complete non-issue.

We assumed our B2B transatlantic would be our first and last Cunard cruise and now we are off for 60 days on a QM2 world cruise segment. Also inside cabin passengers on the whole trying to use a limited amount of money to see as much of the world as we can.

Britannia accommodations make-up the largest group on-board. People staying in the Grills rooms are far fewer by number. I have always considered most fellow passengers in the Main Dining Room to be (in general) solidly middle-class.
Solidly middle-class, but well-traveled and possessing a global perspective for the most part, I'd say.

I've been fortunate to have travelled on one QM2 TA in QG. It was a dream trip of a lifetime and a bucket list item. We had such a good time that we are ready for another adventure and will be travelling on QV in QG. It took us four years to save up enough.

Believe me when I say, no one cares. I only mention it to illustrate that nice people come in all kinds of packages. In our case, we save up and wait longer in order to enjoy the QG dining room. It's important to us. But, that's how we choose to spend our money. We just delay our gratification. Others would rather travel more often and think that Britannia Class is an excellent way to see the world. We are both correct.

What is different with Cunard is there is an appreciation for hospitality and graciousness. There won't be any rock climbing walls, sliding boards, pool side lounge wars or drinking contests. I wouldn't want to spend my travel dollar or pound in that atmosphere. I'm willing to bet that no one else aboard a Cunard ship would either. That is unless they had made a tragic booking error:)

Good taste, good manners and an adventurous spirit is all that is required. It doesn't matter where you sit for dinner. Take the plunge. You are going to have the adventure of a lifetime.

I've been fortunate to have travelled on one QM2 TA in QG. It was a dream trip of a lifetime and a bucket list item. We had such a good time that we are ready for another adventure and will be travelling on QV in QG. It took us four years to save up enough.

Believe me when I say, no one cares. I only mention it to illustrate that nice people come in all kinds of packages. In our case, we save up and wait longer in order to enjoy the QG dining room. It's important to us. But, that's how we choose to spend our money. We just delay our gratification. Others would rather travel more often and think that Britannia Class is an excellent way to see the world. We are both correct.

What is different with Cunard is there is an appreciation for hospitality and graciousness. There won't be any rock climbing walls, sliding boards, pool side lounge wars or drinking contests. I wouldn't want to spend my travel dollar or pound in that atmosphere. I'm willing to bet that no one else aboard a Cunard ship would either. That is unless they had made a tragic booking error:)

Good taste, good manners and an adventurous spirit is all that is required. It doesn't matter where you sit for dinner. Take the plunge. You are going to have the adventure of a lifetime.

Very nicely said, orvil.

I have it on my "Bucket List" but hope to get there within the next couple of years. Maybe a Transatlantic would be good.

All our crossings on the QM2 have been "good." In fact, more than just good. East to west or west to east. Excellent! A very enjoyable experience, in my opinion.

The best to you ticking this item off your list!

I will take issue with just one thing scrapnana said. Unlike QE and QV, on QM2 the Grills restaurants are mixed in with other facilities on deck 7. No special card is required to get in, although if you tried you would surely be redirected by the Maitre'd. Think of it as the equivalent of dining in Blu on the Millenium if you were not Aqua class. Exactly the same situation.

Roy

Dear Husband and I are happy inside cabin people. Over 100 days on Cunard ships (the majority on the QM2). Always comfortable, happy, and satisfied.

We have had very friendly exchanges with people who were staying in the Grills and never felt any uncomfortable atmosphere of snobbishness to be pervasive.

DH and I have also taken a couple segment voyages---one 36-day in the South Pacific and a wonderful 28-day cruise (on the QM2) around South America. We hope another (even longer) segment will be in our future. In my opinion, there is nothing so fabulous as sailing far and wide and really feeling like the ship is truly your home. The QM2 is a great vessel and such a lovely (if temporary) home.

50+ days !!!! What a great adventure awaits you !!!! Lucky, lucky you !!!

We did a Queens Grill suite 5 years ago.(kind of a honeymoon voyage) A friend of my mother went as well. Though she could buy the ship, she did an ocean view & was totally happy. We did "sneak" her to the Queens Grill lounge for tea several times, however.

Please ignore all of that. (...and to be frank, when I've had the good fortune to be amongst the wealthy on occasion, they don't give a whit about such pretension that you might be worried about)

Yes, the atmosphere aboard is somewhat refined, with an appreciation for thoughtful lectures, high tea, and a grace throughout the day.

Yet, despite the tut-tutting you may see about things like onboard haberdashery, there are a wide variety of folks with amazing stories!

Sailing the oceans on the QM2 is a one-of-a-kind experience. Surely you don't want to let silly people dissuade you.

Your fears are unfounded. You are going to have a great time. Enjoy everything that is laid on. (Especially high tea in the Queen's Lounge every afternoon.)

Regards.

Hi,

we are about to go our 6th cruise with cunard (canaries Dec12) and yes there are some people on the ship with a touch of "let ME through I am important(well I think I am)" BUT the majority of people you meet are from all walks of life.

You will fit in as anyone who has bought into the idea of dressing for dinner and enjoying it as opposed to the numerous posters who bitch and whine about it (lordy knows why they book) will fit in.

My partner and i are working class - he's a retired teahcer and i work in an office and take public transport to work-we find we fit in. Clearly there people on board form lower And higher ends of the social scale but just going to a supermarket you run into that

We laugh at some fo the Hyacinth Bucket characters pretending to be whatthey are not and yes we comment at some of the people with rolexes on heading off to the grills & say "wow they must be rich" but its like flying -you see all sorts!

Go and dont stress you wont regret it

Our only "regret" is going on our first cruise with cunard as we became hooked and now i just dont feel inclined to fly or take other sorts of holidays

Hi,

we are about to go our 6th cruise with cunard (canaries Dec12) and yes there are some people on the ship with a touch of "let ME through I am important(well I think I am)" BUT the majority of people you meet are from all walks of life.

You will fit in as anyone who has bought into the idea of dressing for dinner and enjoying it as opposed to the numerous posters who bitch and whine about it (lordy knows why they book) will fit in.

My partner and i are working class - he's a retired teahcer and i work in an office and take public transport to work-we find we fit in. Clearly there people on board form lower And higher ends of the social scale but just going to a supermarket you run into that

We laugh at some fo the Hyacinth Bucket characters pretending to be whatthey are not and yes we comment at some of the people with rolexes on heading off to the grills & say "wow they must be rich" but its like flying -you see all sorts!

Go and dont stress you wont regret it

Our only "regret" is going on our first cruise with cunard as we became hooked and now i just dont feel inclined to fly or take other sorts of holidays

Your first post here (or so it seems), Yay! The more the merrier. Always a good thing to hear fresh perspectives. Have a great voyage in December, I hope you let us readers know how it goes.

I laugh every time I see a Hyacinth Bucket post. As an American, most of us would be unfamiliar with her. However, I watch a lot of PBS, the public broadcasting network. They play a lot of British comedies and dramas. I love Hyacinth and her interactions with her brother-in-law, Onslow.

Welcome to the Cunard board, 50+ days is quite an initial commitment !

Have you had a look at our sticky at the top of the board ? There are lots of photos, copies of menus, Daily Programmes etc. It might help to see if you think you would like the activities on offer.

Good luck with whatever you decide and let us know how you get on.

Edited by Host Hattie