Formal attire for men

3095-ag

My husband and I have cruised about six times. We have only attended a couple of formal night dinners because my husband does not like to wear a tie. The kicker is that we have seen just about every odd and quirky clothing imaginable and yet the people are seated in the dining room anyway. Now at least my husband plays by the rules and either wears appropriate attire or opts out. My question is this: would he be unreasonable to attend wearing a dress shirt, slacks, and jacket skipping the tie? Seems to me he would still look nice but again, we don't want to offend anyone.

My husband and I have cruised about six times. We have only attended a couple of formal night dinners because my husband does not like to wear a tie. The kicker is that we have seen just about every odd and quirky clothing imaginable and yet the people are seated in the dining room anyway. Now at least my husband plays by the rules and either wears appropriate attire or opts out. My question is this: would he be unreasonable to attend wearing a dress shirt, slacks, and jacket skipping the tie? Seems to me he would still look nice but again, we don't want to offend anyone.

You would probably get some responses if you identified the cruise line and ship.

Which cruise line?

HAL defines formal wear for gentlemen to be jacket and tie.

That is not to say it is consistently enforced but there is the chance he could be turned away without the tie. HAL seems to have brought the description of formal down to the absolute lowest they can and still be able to make some of the people, some of the time, think that is actually formal wear.

Edited by sail7seas

My question is this: would he be unreasonable to attend wearing a dress shirt, slacks, and jacket skipping the tie? Seems to me he would still look nice but again, we don't want to offend anyone.

No, not unreasonable. I've dined on formal night w/o a tie many times. I looked fabulous! 😀

If you have seen "odd and quirky" clothing during the formal nights that you attended then I think that it is safe to say that on those lines a tie is not required on formal night.

Personally I prefer a VERY nice shirt of high quality and jacket over a jacket and a tie while on vacation. You can't enforce "very nice or high quality" but you can enforce a tie so that's what they do!:D

No, not unreasonable. I've dined on formal night w/o a tie many times. I looked fabulous! 😀

:D And if you happen to find that the cruise line you are on actually enforces the tie requirement I always carry a VERY nice polyester clip-on tie with me. Very fashionable and it can be washed up in the sink. A MUST for every cruising gentleman.;)

Personally I prefer a VERY nice shirt of high quality and jacket over a jacket and a tie while on vacation. You can't enforce "very nice or high quality" but you can enforce a tie so that's what they do!:D

But YOU would enforce "very nice or high quality" if you could.;)

But YOU would enforce "very nice or high quality" if you could.;)

I only have eyes for 1 fella and he chooses very nice and high quality on his own. What can I say, I enjoy a well dressed man. :)

Edited by Karysa

It all depends on the line. More and more mass market lines are doing away with formal nights, and on the ones that still have them a shirt and tie are appropriate, or a jacket without a tie works too, as does just a dress shirt.

On the upsclae and luxury lines the situation may be different though some of them frown on anything more formal than country club casual, and others require a tux.

All of you have been so helpful. Thank you and my husband looks forward to attending formal night "without" a tie!

I would double check with your cruise line. Some WILL turn you away if you are not formally dressed.

Which cruise lines do you had personal knowledge that turned away passengers not dressed formally?

Cunard apparently does. Among my investigating a jacket is needed for all nights and a tie/dressed neck for formal nights as well. Although things apparently changed recently.

Family who sail on P and O say its formal as well and I have heard Crystal cruises mentioned as very formal as well.

I have not heard of people being turned away but I imagine it happens. When discussing cravats and whatnot on the Cunard board even they were not acceptable on formal night (apparently).

Edited by Velvetwater

Which cruise lines do you had personal knowledge that turned away passengers not dressed formally?

Since "formal" is a relative term (some believe it is black tie for men, while others feel Dockers and a polo shirt make the grade), I can only answer about people being turned away. I've seen men on Cunard being turned away for not wearing a neck tie, and on HAL for trying to come in wearing shorts and a muscle shirt.

On the Carnival Breeze during our Mediterranean cruise in 2012, two young men (I won't use the word gentlemen due to their potty mouth) were turned away from the MDR on Elegant night because they were wearing shorts and jeans. They were not happy and very vocal about it. Not what I wanted to witness on what was supposed to be a special night.