Thanks a lot Celebrity, (NOT), change in port times

Cheers4cb

Celebrity Infinity has changed our port time for Ketchikan for next July from 12:30 arrival to 2:00 arrival. I already had made a reservation to take seaplane to Anan Bear Observatory, which now gets cancelled because the short time in port does not allow enough time, according to the tour operator. Has anyone else had this experience on Infinity? I am so disappointed as going to Anan was my "bucket list" thing to do, and I made the reservation over a year in advance. Thanks a lot Celebrity. If it wasn't a group of us going and the logistical nightmare to switch, I would switch to a different cruise. I am contacting several other tour operators to see if they offer a shorter option. :mad:

Celebrity Infinity has changed our port time for Ketchikan for next July from 12:30 arrival to 2:00 arrival. I already had made a reservation to take seaplane to Anan Bear Observatory, which now gets cancelled because the short time in port does not allow enough time, according to the tour operator. Has anyone else had this experience on Infinity? I am so disappointed as going to Anan was my "bucket list" thing to do, and I made the reservation over a year in advance. Thanks a lot Celebrity. If it wasn't a group of us going and the logistical nightmare to switch, I would switch to a different cruise. I am contacting several other tour operators to see if they offer a shorter option. :mad:

I Am so sorry that the time change messed with your excursion.

The good thing is, you have enough time to change cruises or cancel before being out any real money.

Maybe there is another option for visiting Anan, I too am considering going there on our cruise in July 2017.

Let us know how you make out on this, please.

bon voyage

Are you quite certain this was Celebrity's choice? Ore likely the port made the decision. I'd be careful about aiming your anger until you find out the reason behind the decision.

Agreed. We're aboard Millie at the moment and had a 4 hour adjustment due to tidal conditions. Had we left at the original time the ship wouldn't have cleared a bridge due to high tides!

I know your pain!

We were on a cruise in 2009, Panama Canal, and 2 days into the 15 day cruise, they announced that we would be skipping ALL 3 Mexican ports of call due to N1H1.

So we never got to Acapulco, Cabo San Lucas and Puerto Vallarta. I had really wanted to see them all.

A few days later, our new itinerary/replacement ports were announced:

1) San Diego; arriving around 3 pm. Got off ship around 4 pm and left around 9 pm

2) Catalena Island off coast from Los Angeles; there for the day

3) Arriving in San Francisco the day before, around noon with disembarkation the next morning.

In 2020 we missed the Falklands and Elephant island on a South American cruise, so you just have to know things can change when you book. FYI, on that cruise, we also aborted our try at Antartica and headed to Ushuaia, Argentina. There some passengers created a mini revolt and Captain disembarked them! Next day the announcement came on that weather looked good, so we would be making a second attempt at reaching Antarctica. We made it less the group who complained about missing all the ports previously mentioned.

Wishing you a great cruise, lots of memories and some great unexpected positive surprises!

Edited by shipshape sam

Maybe the whole group will cancel with you? Or ask Celebrity can they change it back?

In 2020 we missed the Falklands and Elephant island on a South American cruise, so you just have to know things can change when you book. FYI, on that cruise, we also aborted our try at Antartica and headed to Ushuaia, Argentina. There some passengers created a mini revolt and Captain disembarked them! Next day the announcement came on that weather looked good, so we would be making a second attempt at reaching Antarctica. We made it less the group who complained about missing all the ports previously mentioned.

2020? Can I borrow your crystal ball? I want to check the lotto numbers for this weekend. ;)

After spending much of the afternoon online reading reviews and emailing tour companies, I received a very nice response from one who does 4 hour tours to Anan, and if they are successful with getting permits for that day, will work with our abbreviated port time. So there is hope! The reason for making reservations so far in advance is that these are floatplane trips with limited seating, so it is important to get on their list very early. Plus, I just love all the reading, researching and planning ALMOST as much as the actual trip. ;)

Cheers!

After spending much of the afternoon online reading reviews and emailing tour companies, I received a very nice response from one who does 4 hour tours to Anan, and if they are successful with getting permits for that day, will work with our abbreviated port time. So there is hope! The reason for making reservations so far in advance is that these are floatplane trips with limited seating, so it is important to get on their list very early. Plus, I just love all the reading, researching and planning ALMOST as much as the actual trip. ;)

Cheers!

Makes total sense. I would just make sure booking this far out the reservation is refundable - or better yet you don't pay anything in advance. There is just no way to know what can happen over the next 10 months.

We were on a cruise in 2009, Panama Canal, and 2 days into the 15 day cruise, they announced that we would be skipping ALL 3 Mexican ports of call due to N1H1.

So we never got to Acapulco, Cabo San Lucas and Puerto Vallarta. I had really wanted to see them all.

1) San Diego; arriving around 3 pm. Got off ship around 4 pm and left around 9 pm

3) Arriving in San Francisco the day before, around noon with disembarkation the next morning.

shipshape sam, we were on that cruise too. If I remember correctly we were not permitted to disembark in the Mexico ports due to the fear of the H1N1 virus or some such. The SF area is our home, but we loved spending the night on the ship that night because it was warm (unusual for SF) and there was a full moon hanging over the city. We made lemonade from lemons...

BTW, I seem to remember some guy running around the ship with a camera. Could that have been you?

Betsy

Also, we were on the Eclipse in April, going from Miami to Southampton. We were to overnight in Bermuda, but couldn't dock there due to stormy weather. We've never been there. We had an extra sea day and an unscheduled day in LeHavre instead. Ooh-la-la, a day in France! More lemonade...

We talked with someone from England on the ship who had taken a transatlantic three times and had to skip Bermuda every time. Now that's a bummer. As far as I know they haven't been there yet.

Betsy

shipshape sam, we were on that cruise too. If I remember correctly we were not permitted to disembark in the Mexico ports due to the fear of the H1N1 virus or some such. The SF area is our home, but we loved spending the night on the ship that night because it was warm (unusual for SF) and there was a full moon hanging over the city. We made lemonade from lemons...

BTW, I seem to remember some guy running around the ship with a camera. Could that have been you?

Betsy

No, not me. LOL :)

As with most changes, there were some good alternatives. We went under golden gate bridge around noon on that 2009 cruise and were allowed on the heli-port area and with no fog, it was a great view.

Once off Infinity we headed to Sonoma valley for 3 days with friends living in santa rosa we met on our 2006 panama canal cruise.

Our 2006 panama canal cruise had us in SF for the 100 anniversary of the fire of 1906 and, I think it was around 5:00 am in our land based hotel the next morning after disembarkation, all the fire alarms went off in honor of that. :)

Edited by shipshape sam

Cheers!

GREAT! Have a great cruise!:)

I too love to plan and also love interacting with others on CC sailing threads, then meeting them onboard. We have at times booked excursions ahead of time too with others we have not met in person.

Cheers!

No need to feel defensive or to explain the reasons for advance planning and booking despite that one gratuitous comment above. Lots of folks plan and book in advance, for the very reasons you say.

Glad you may have an alternative for your excursion, and hope it all works out for you!

Glad things are apparently going to work out but remember that it may not have been Celebrity at all that made the decision to change the port times. It could have been the port of Ketchikan. It could be a marine traffic jam.

And it could happen again, port arrangements get changed all the time!

Good for the Captain. BTW, having crossed the Drake Passage during a huge storm (waves over the top of the ship), it is not something I would ever recommend nor would I ever want to do it again. Edited by NLH Arizona

Good for the Captain. BTW, having crossed the Drake Passage during a huge storm (waves over the top of the ship), it is not something I would ever recommend nor would I ever want to do it again.

On that 2010 cruise, we crossed Drake's passage 4 times, or at least portions of it. Each with high seas of 15-20 as I recall. Don't recall waves coming over top of the ship, so I am sure even though we had high seas, not as high as your experience.

Our day in Antarctica was a National Geographic day there!

Have seen some utube videos of some high seas off Antarctica.

Cheers!

So pleased it looks like you may be able to sort your special trip! Like you we are early bookers and planners!

As others have said it isn't uncommon to have changes, it is just so disappointing when it is a highlight of your tour that is compromised.

We are increasingly concerned about cruise lines chartering...Loosing time in a port or even a full port is annoying but to loose your full cruise...This is especially hard, I think, when people book early to tie their cruise into a special occasion (anniversary, birthday) and are also booking special rooms to match. By the time the cruise is chartered it can be too late to find a real alternative.

I agree with OP about booking early for excursions in Alaska. I was told that they book up early! I'm going to Alaska in June 2017 and I already have my excursions booked with private companies that were referred to me here in CC and on Trip Advisor. I didn't want to wait and not be able to go on the ones I wanted to go on. I also didn't want to go on cruise excursions. Deposits were all that were required and as we get closer to the sailing date, since they also monitor the schedule of the cruise lines, I will pay the balance. Refunds are available but there are individual stipulations for each company. I was happy with all of them.

And we are also going on Island wings in Ketchikan! We can't wait!