Most Quantum room service NOT complimentary

• 2 weeks later...

Last weekend I was going over my past RCCL cruise materials from past voyages. I was very surprised on how much the room-service menu was downgraded, examples (removed) below:

1. New York Steak Sandwich.

2. Seeded Rye Baguette--with smoked salmon.

3. Mediterranean Chicken Salad.

4. Fried Honey-Stung Chicken.

5. Bistro Burger (now for a charge).

6. Breaded Flounder.

7. Cheese Plate (now a charge).

8. Chocolate & Pear Tart.

So, is this the new way of "freestyle/Dynamic cruising"???

When this thread emerged I sent a note to Royal to express my opinion. On all instances prior whenever I have corresponded to RCI they have either called to discuss or emailed a response. This time there is silence which tells me all I need to know about their position on the matter. The charges are here to stay and the suckers to pay.

What items ARE included for complimentary room service?

Complimentary Room Service includes:

Continental Breakfast with Cereals and fresh fruit. (Hot Oatmeal)

All day Corn Chowder, Chicken Noodle Soup, Chicken Caesar Salad and Italian and Vegetable Wraps. (11AM to 6AM, $4.95 fee 11PM to 6 AM)

All day Cookies, Key Lime Tarte, Red Velvet Cheesecake and Dark Chocolate Tiramisu.

Everything on Room Service Menu is complementary for suite guests. Extended menu to Coastal Kitchen and American Icon for breakfast and lunch (on sea days). Extended dinner menu to include all DD venues, CK, AI, Silk, the Grande and Chic.

Edited by MADflyer

FWIW, suite guests get the entire room service menu at no charge. someone on another thread posted the "welcome" letter from the concierges, and it specifically stated the entire room service menu was complementary for suite guests. i know this doesn't affect most people, but treacher and some others were asking, so figured i'd pass the info along.

i know people complain a lot about royal nickel and diming, and i've never felt that was so before, but the room service charges are making me feel that way for the first time. i'm not happy about it (and i'm in a suite on quantum and anthem, so apparently it doesn't even affect me). i suspect that rather than royal reversing course on the matter, other cruise lines will just start to follow suit, and soon it will become the new norm. :(

oooops, just saw madflyer included the info re suite guests. sorry i'm late to the party. ;) also, just wanted to add the kids' menu is also no charge. i can't remember what it has on it, though - the only thing i know for sure is chicken fingers, which i remember because they are my junk food of choice!

Edited by karmacats
new info

Hm.... thought of something today....it's not nickel&diming, it's trying to eliminate staff. If they charge some nominal fee (on which they make virtually no money) but the room service requests drop by half, they can eliminate a lot of staff due to the reduced demand. That is much more valuable to RCI.:cool:

Hm.... thought of something today....it's not nickel&diming, it's trying to eliminate staff. If they charge some nominal fee (on which they make virtually no money) but the room service requests drop by half, they can eliminate a lot of staff due to the reduced demand. That is much more valuable to RCI.:cool:

Quantum Room Service staff are on rotation in the Windjammer as well now, per a nice quick conversation with a waiter on the aft outdoor terrace.

RS is labor intensive, has quality control issues along with the extra work created for room stewards and cleaners around the ship.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Here is a direct quote from the Celebrity website. Sounds like this issue is a big deal to them.

"Perhaps a day of kayaking, shopping or golfing has you feeling pleasantly languid-or was it the afternoon spent relaxing with a novel that has you so serene? Either way, when you're in the mood to relax and dine in the comfort of your stateroom, Celebrity offers complimentary 24-hour in-stateroom dining".

I can't believe more people are not protesting the room service menu. Princess tried something like RCI has done and after a week or of people protesting together Princess stopped charging

I think its because most people will us RS if its free but if its not its not a big deal. Personally I will miss my spinach and artichoke dip but its not that big of a deal.

Most of the latest reviews have the restaurant worse than ever so do you really think the "freed up staff" are out there providing better restaurant service? Or is this another cutback?

Most of the reviews I have seen for recent Quantum trips have been positive regards service in restaurants, and certainly better than earlier ones:confused:?

Most of the reviews I have seen for recent Quantum trips have been positive regards service in restaurants, and certainly better than earlier ones:confused:?

Actually my review isn't up yet. I thought that the reviews were just because somebody had unrealistic expectations. However, some of the problems on the ship are worse then expressed in the reviews. Got off the ship last Saturday. Terrible lack of staff, horrible crowding.

Will stick to the Oasis and or Freedom ships going foward. Or Celebrity.

Edited by Cruise a holic

• 1 month later...

We travel with disabled passengers who often find it difficult, if not impossible to get out for all meals, though they can make it out once a day, on average.

Years ago, you could order anything off of the dining room menu free for room service. They put up with only soups, salads and sandwiches and late night charges were not an issue.

We tried picking up food from Windjammer, but no trays made it hard to carry, and we ended up with cold food back in the cabin.

All of us have already paid for our meals, why should we have to pay to eat them in the stateroom? We always tip the person bringing the food!

This is especially unfair to those who cannot physically get to a dining room every day for every meal.

Of course, people in suites do not have additional charges and they can still order from the main dining room menu free of charge.

Though I believe it should be free for all cruisers, I am wondering if other cruisers would complain if those in accessible cabins were included in free room service?

We have 2 more cruises booked with Royal and if the room service fee becomes reality, we may have to reconsider.

• 7 months later...