Falmouth Jamaica and Safety

Catperson

I've been reading a number of threads and have noted many people suggesting not to venture outside the security gates in Falmouth. Just wanted to share my experience.

My 28 year old very attractive daughter and myself, a typical 57 year old woman travelled on the Liberty of the Seas in January. We booked a private tour to visit Montego Bay and spend some time at Dr.'s Cave Beach. We met with our tour guide and found out we were the only people on the tour. :( Interesting...I felt uncomfortable but off we went. We toured MoBay and our guide felt we should cancel the beach part of the tour due to the rainy weather we were experiencing. I did receive my money back for the missed part of the tour. I ended up being very comfortable with our guide, a nice man, not particularly friendly but nice.

We decided to not enter the secuity gates but wander around Falmouth instead. We did this because I saw other tourists from the ships wandering about as well; I would not have otherwise. At no time were we bothered by anyone. Maybe because we were woman no drugs were pushed at us, but I thought my daughter might get a bit of unsolicted interest, but nothing. We thoroughly enjoyed wandering around Falmouth, taking pictures, etc.

So just wanted to make the point that we felt very comfortable in Falmouth, nobody stared at us, bothered us, everyone just went about their business. I love to hear other peoples' experiences that have happened lately.

Oh, and concerning Dunns River Falls - did this back in 1978 and have no interest in doing it again. I'm not sure why anyone wants to hang on to the person in front of them with their bum in your face while struggling up slippery rocks!:D

I've been reading a number of threads and have noted many people suggesting not to venture outside the security gates in Falmouth. Just wanted to share my experience.

My 28 year old very attractive daughter and myself, a typical 57 year old woman travelled on the Liberty of the Seas in January. We booked a private tour to visit Montego Bay and spend some time at Dr.'s Cave Beach. We met with our tour guide and found out we were the only people on the tour. :( Interesting...I felt uncomfortable but off we went. We toured MoBay and our guide felt we should cancel the beach part of the tour due to the rainy weather we were experiencing. I did receive my money back for the missed part of the tour. I ended up being very comfortable with our guide, a nice man, not particularly friendly but nice.

We decided to not enter the secuity gates but wander around Falmouth instead. We did this because I saw other tourists from the ships wandering about as well; I would not have otherwise. At no time were we bothered by anyone. Maybe because we were woman no drugs were pushed at us, but I thought my daughter might get a bit of unsolicted interest, but nothing. We thoroughly enjoyed wandering around Falmouth, taking pictures, etc.

So just wanted to make the point that we felt very comfortable in Falmouth, nobody stared at us, bothered us, everyone just went about their business. I love to hear other peoples' experiences that have happened lately.

Oh, and concerning Dunns River Falls - did this back in 1978 and have no interest in doing it again. I'm not sure why anyone wants to hang on to the person in front of them with their bum in your face while struggling up slippery rocks!:D

I agree with you 100%, my last trip to Falmouth we sat in a small local bar, had a beer and people watched without a problem.

Having been to other parts of Jamaica before, we chose to venture outside the gates and walk around Falmouth, with no issues from any of the locals. In fact, they were nothing but very friendly and we felt safe. Of course one has to always be aware of their surroundings and not bring attention to themselves ... no visible jewelry and money. I didn't even carry a purse nor a camera. We went to a local restaurant for some jerk and roti, shopped at the grocery store for some local spices, bought some wooden crafts, etc. If we were ever to go back, we would rather stay onboard and enjoy the ship to ourselves.

That is good to hear. We spent a week in MoBay at a Sandals and ventured out several times during the week. We enjoyed the city.

In March I tried to get 4 people from our roll call to join a private tour of Dunn's River Falls. I could not get anyone to join. :( Several people replied that they really wanted to join but had heard such bad things they were afraid to leave the port area--even on a ship tour.

. . . So we went with the ship tour. It turned out to be fun. I wanted to avoid the large 55 passenger bus tour. But, they had so little interest we had a small van.

I am glad to see these positive posts.

Thank you Catperson, for the brief review about Falmouth Jamaica. The questionable comments from many others is the reason that I've been hesitant to do an itinerary that included that port. Maybe I'll give it a chance in the future. :)

Thank you everyone for the positive stories about Jamaica, a place we love. If people were to rely only on the fear ridden threads here from people who've never given it a chance they would never experience this beautiful island and wonderful people.

We went to Falmouth years ago when the Allure was brand new and we were one of the first cruises to go there - The port wasn't even complete yet! I do not recall any bad experiences and I remember we went a distance from the "gates" and felt safe! - Then again, we are from the "big city" and have our wits among us!! :D

And guess what - This fall I'm going back to Falmouth and I can't wait!!!

The people who are using "scare tactics" are only ruining it for themselves..... go ahead, live in that bubble...

We were four young pretty women walking around Jamaica with no problems.

Yes, they approached us to buy some weed, and would come up to say hi,

and asked us to buy some souveniers, but that is on every island. I love jamaica, mon.

I can't say what I would really like to say about why I think there are some people say what they say about going outside the gates of Falmouth. There are people who have never been outside the gates to know what goes on. With at said I doubt the cruiseline would allow people out there if it was not safe and too dangerous to go. Some folks worry about their kids getting approached to buy weed...... Hell they are getting approached to buy weed at school and when they are at the mall!

Edited by bigque

We were out and about for 7 hours and were treated like normal people! No drugs were ever offered. Had 4 teens and nobody was harassed. Would do it again in a heartbeat!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We did a walking tour of Falmouth with a local tour guide. It was good to learn some of the history of the area. I encourage everyone who cruise to take at least one cultural tour of one of the islands you visit.

We love Jamaica. Yes we have been "harassed" by a few vendors here and there but no different than some of the other ports. Ganja is a big part of Jamaican pop-culture even though it is used by a small minority. I've been offered it at one of those gated private markets for tourists. And once our tour van stopped in front of Bob Marley's mansion for pictures and a guy stuck his head in and ask if anyone wanted weed. The driver told him something in patois at that was that.

If your idea of the Caribbean is Diamonds International, Senior Frogs, or Margaritaville. Just stay inside the gates. I think I read where RCI added have an Auntie Anne's pretzel stand in Falmouth.

We also walked outside the gates and felt safe. The only thing that bothered us was there were a few stray dogs. However, there was not too much to do. It was by far the least interesting port we have been to and we've been to 35 countries on cruises. We had a map and we went to a small church. Nothing of interest there but it is a tour stop on one of the tours, we saw a bus there and were even there for the short talk. We walked back past a school and someone stopped us and offered a tour for $5. To keep a friend, we took him up on his offer. We felt safe, there were children playing outside. He took us to the back of the school where there were some artifacts and gave us a little history. We then walked back through town, and stopped at a grocery store. If I went back again I would probably not walk outside the gates unless I wanted something from the grocery store, not because I felt unsafe but because it was at best depressing. This does not mean there is nothing to see further from the gates, just not in the immediate 1 mile vicinity.

Been there with my girls. Common sense goes a long way outside the gates. Forgot if you can post you tube vids here but here is a great one from the JoCo cruise showing the difference. If the link does not work just search you tube for joco cruise Jamaica.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

It's possible things have improved as our visit to Falmouth was Jan 2012, but once you got out the gates the vendors were plentiful, vocal and relentless with little regard for one's personal space Police were present to keep the road cleared and the more aggressive folks from hassling the tourists but they seemed understaffed.

Just my experience, and bearing in mind it's 2+ years since; but I was also not at all impressed with Ocho Rios and the fact that getting anywhere away from that market directly beside the port in Montego Bay required a taxi or bus trip was a turn off. Personally on that route we'd rather spend 2 days in Georgetown and blow off Jamaica completely.

Same experience here with the locals pouncing on your as soon as you get outside the gate. However I remember reading in the local newspaper many of the shopkeepers were getting annoyed at this behavior because it was chasing away customers coming from the cruise ships. Hopefully between RC and the local business they have managed to get this under control.

Same experience here with the locals pouncing on your as soon as you get outside the gate. However I remember reading in the local newspaper many of the shopkeepers were getting annoyed at this behavior because it was chasing away customers coming from the cruise ships. Hopefully between RC and the local business they have managed to get this under control.

We've had this happen at many of the Caribbean ports I think it's just their culture if they would only realize they would do better just letting people look and then deciding instead of being drug into their place of business! At times I try to walk as far away from the business even though I wouldn't mind looking just to avoid the hassle!

• 2 weeks later...

We just returned on Oasis 6/21-6/28/14

We walked around outside the fenced area for about 15 minutes with our 10 & 15 DD's. We were swarmed by shop keepers to buy everything and anything. They were relentless and followed us up the block. The kids were terrified but we did not really feel threatened in any way. The locals just get right in your face trying get you to buy things. We were completely surrounded on the first block the girls were clutching our arms and wanted to get back to the ship. After the first block it lightened up and eventually they left us alone.

I think if you take an excursion it is better suited at this port or stay inside the fenced area. We did not find anything outside the fence close by worth seeing.

ImageUploadedByForums1404087152.907487.jpg.52cbc6a289166bf185172014642d1fce.jpg

ImageUploadedByForums1404087166.030361.jpg.c8d12ac0ef87e87f0d4eda04d5b498aa.jpg

ImageUploadedByForums1404087183.960898.jpg.b3fde9019969283463a533bdd41d9c11.jpg

ImageUploadedByForums1404087204.236050.jpg.4a1fa11c14828957ce34cec9c7a88ab1.jpg

ImageUploadedByForums1404087226.046624.jpg.47dfc3e1c0060639f6c77a28709ed5d5.jpg

ImageUploadedByForums1404087241.051551.jpg.dd3902bafcc01efe4af5a2dd3280ffae.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Forums