fishing on a cruise

madascharley

ok bit of a strange question we are doing the transatlantic ruise in april and i like to do a bit of fun fishing with my telescopic rod.

does anyone know if it is possible to fish in some of the ports from imediate area where you dock???

no way in the immediate area. you'd probably have to book a formal excursion( either through the ship or elsewhere) in order to get the necessary permits and what not taken care of.

IME the biggest problem you'd have is they don't want folks near the edge of the pier as there are seldom safety rails ... so there is a do not cross line 8 or 10 feet back from the edge. Get too close to the edge and you'll get to meet Mr Security!

I don't understand the negativity of replies.:confused:

No, not mid-Atlantic from the ship. But that's not what the OP was asking about.

And no, almost certainly not in the immediate area of the ship, because of over-zealous implementation of safety & security issues

But with a short walk or taxi ride, where's the problem??

I'm not a fisherman, I can't help with specifics, but yes I'm sure you'll be able to find places & mingle with locals doing the same.

JB :)

ok bit of a strange question we are doing the transatlantic ruise in april and i like to do a bit of fun fishing with my telescopic rod.

does anyone know if it is possible to fish in some of the ports from imediate area where you dock???

Is your pole collapsible? If so, take it and then ask a local taxi driver about fishing spots and whether a license is needed.

I don't think there is any fishing allowed near the port, but maybe farther away?

I don't understand the negativity of replies.:confused:

No, not mid-Atlantic from the ship. But that's not what the OP was asking about.

And no, almost certainly not in the immediate area of the ship, because of over-zealous implementation of safety & security issues

But with a short walk or taxi ride, where's the problem??

I'm not a fisherman, I can't help with specifics, but yes I'm sure you'll be able to find places & mingle with locals doing the same.

JB :)

OP did state 'in the immediate area where you dock' thus the answers as to fishing off the dock.

Edited by sail7seas

I can think of three ports on our recent eight day western med cruise where we saw locals fishing very close to the ship. Barcelona, far side of that shopping centre area at the bottom of Ramblas, on Corsica (several places), and Majorca. I can also recall seeing people fishing in Madeira.

I doubt very much whether you will need an excursion. Just don't expect to fish from a pier where ship is tied up. Any place where you have to tender may be good. Where there is water, there will be some old guys fishing...you can count on it in Europe. It may involve a short hike.

I would take your rod, get off the ship, if necessary take the shuttle into town, and then ask a local. Just hold up your rod and point. My guess is that you will be happily fishing within a half hour or so.

Edited by iancal

You might want to check local licensing regulations. Sure, you may see locals fishing, but they may have a license or not need one. For instance, residents of Florida can fish from a dock (salt water) without a license but non residents need to purchase one.

Other than toss the fish back, what would one do with fish they caught if one a cruise?

I don't think the Chef would likely cook it, would he? :)

Eat it ceviche or sashimi style! Doesn't get any fresher than that! I always see guys fishing off the rocks inn San Pedro and all they have is some hot sauce and limes. I always wanted to get some uni when snorkeling but I can never dive that far down, and the ones I can get are too small.

Edited by whataboutport

OP asked about

from imediate area where you dock???

go away from the pier and it is very possible BUT not always allowed as you may then be in a small boat docking area, or close to a beach, or or or . . .

My guys on duty in port would often toss a line over the side and seldom caught anything .... the fish had been driven from the pier areas LONG ago . . . (and typically the 'port area' water ain't the cleanest . . . )

and you can't toll from the average cruiser underway ... it is going over 10 knots (most closer to 20) .... a wee bit fast for trolling.

Not a strange Question: I do it. I've even went out with locals in skiffs free. Give em' some Lead-head jigs, a spool of 16/lbFireline, Rapalas, Gulp, Beer etc and you might have a free fishin' trip. Or buy minnows there and pitch a bobbered bait. Scope where they hang as you come in to Port at 6/am. In Madeira take Taxi Left/West 2Mile and hang with ALL the locals fishing, Barcelona go East/Right800/ft at the old Ore Dock Rip-Rap. Cadiz go Left. Have em' grill em or give em' to the 'skunked' local guy. Skip the museums....Enjoy the local folks. Locomotiveman Tom