Disappointed with crowds on Oasis

We are very frequent cruisers on almost all cruise lines. We have previously sailed on Oasis once and Allure twice (in addition to other RC ships). On July 11 we took our entire family of 14 on Oasis.

The lines for everything were much longer than I remembered. Lines for Windjammer, Park Cafe, and even Sorrento's Pizza.

My granddaughters waited in lines of over 100 people twice to ice skate (finally getting in their third attempt). The line for the flowrider was also ridiculous at times. Last time the family went on Allure the girls got right into skating and waited for maybe 15 minutes to surf.

The main dining room was so crowded we were practically touching the chairs of the people behind us on one side and the wall on the other side. Our waitress could not get around to all of us take orders or even to deliver meals. She had to have guests pass plates to each other!

The solarium, instead of being relaxing had standing room only in the pool. Even the disembarkation was a mess walking through Disney like mazes six times back and forth with all our luggage to get to customs.

I don't know what caused the difference. Maybe the fact that last time we traveled in June and this was July. Maybe because there were several very large groups of teenage girls on board.

Whatever the reasons, we certainly did not have the pleasant cruise experience we had 3 times before on this class of ship. Of course we enjoyed many many things on our cruise and felt fortunate to be with our family on this beautiful ship, but we were very disappointed with the overcrowding.

I am guessing that your previous experiences were not in the peak travel and cruise season in July? That would be the only reason I would think such a marked difference would be noticed.

I was on the May 23 sailing and did not experience any of this. Sure there were some lines for things like Sorrento's, but nothing that took longer than 5 minutes. I waited about 15 minutes for the flowrider. I never waited to get in the WJ, maybe I just went at off-peak times, who knows.

I did NOT post this to discredit your experiences, I just wanted to put this up for reference.

I know there were large groups of girls, which would account for flowrider and ice skating lines. But the solarium? the windjammer? tables to close together in MDR?

I guess it was "peak season", Last time we travelled in June. Who would know the difference one month would make.

So for us no more cruising in July

I have seen a lot of posts indicating that ships are sailing a close to full capacity . On Oasis, that would be closer to 6200 vs. 5400 at double occupancy. If you add 800 presumably younger passengers then I can imagine that the solarium would be a sought after respite.

We avoid cruising in summer to many children

We try also, but we cruise when we can cruise. As long as you know up front what your in for, then we embrace and take some time to get to know and engage the younger folks. My Sister is a teacher which has caused us to do several cruises over spring or Christmas break. And although not as crowded as Summer, they still seem to be a bit more crowded. I go on Vacation to not be in a hurry, a few more minutes in line...... eh, so be it.

I was on the July 4th cruise and experienced none of the crowding that you describe. In the summer many more families cruise and the average occupancy per cabin is much higher. I ate lunch almost every day in Park Café and there were no lines and no trouble finding a table. In instances where you are encountering crowds, you may want to change your preferred time to visit the popular spots. With 6,000 fellow passengers it is inevitable that you will encounter crowds at some point, but in my 10 cruises on the Oasis and 8 on the Allure I have not found them to be any more crowded than the smaller ships.

Now you have me worried. I'm leaving on the Oasis on Saturday. YIKES!:eek:

Why? 1 O class ship carries over 300,000 pax a year and you are worried about 1 post. The ship carries the same amount of pax no matter which week you cruise, on average 104% full. Go and make up your own mind

We are very frequent cruisers on almost all cruise lines. We have previously sailed on Oasis once and Allure twice (in addition to other RC ships). On July 11 we took our entire family of 14 on Oasis.

The lines for everything were much longer than I remembered. Lines for Windjammer, Park Cafe, and even Sorrento's Pizza.

My granddaughters waited in lines of over 100 people twice to ice skate (finally getting in their third attempt). The line for the flowrider was also ridiculous at times. Last time the family went on Allure the girls got right into skating and waited for maybe 15 minutes to surf.

The main dining room was so crowded we were practically touching the chairs of the people behind us on one side and the wall on the other side. Our waitress could not get around to all of us take orders or even to deliver meals. She had to have guests pass plates to each other!

The solarium, instead of being relaxing had standing room only in the pool. Even the disembarkation was a mess walking through Disney like mazes six times back and forth with all our luggage to get to customs.

I don't know what caused the difference. Maybe the fact that last time we traveled in June and this was July. Maybe because there were several very large groups of teenage girls on board.

Whatever the reasons, we certainly did not have the pleasant cruise experience we had 3 times before on this class of ship. Of course we enjoyed many many things on our cruise and felt fortunate to be with our family on this beautiful ship, but we were very disappointed with the overcrowding.

Was on the same cruise as you and honestly never encountered a single line all week.....:)

I can appreciate the OP's point of view, but I do find the class of ship not that crowded overall. How is that for contradictory? Let's face it, the Windjammer is more crowded at most times than other classes of ships, but we found alternatives. The Park Cafe, I've only found to be too crowded on Embarkation day. We've enjoyed several breakfasts there and enjoyed the roast beef sandwich and salad later the first day. I do find the solarium pool, if you want to call it that to be too crowded. The flowrider, might be a problem of expectations. Waiting 15 minutes doesn't seem all that bad to me, especially when there are a lot of skilled passengers on board. A few things with the OP reflect traveling with kids, we are empty nesters traveling with kids and I found all of the things related to kids make the things I'm interested in less crowded. I'll stick with from my experience, teh Oasis class doesn't seem any more crowded than smaller ships.

Like I noted, we have sailed with this same family on the Oasis class ships 4 times. Before last week, I would have agreed that there was never a crowding problem. That is why we booked it.

For the poster who was on the same cruise, maybe didn't try the same activities. But if you were in the dining room 6 PM seating on deck 5 the table chairs were literally back to back.

As I said, I love the Oasis and Allure and especially the great entertainment (except Cats, but that is a different post). We will surely be back, but not in July.

I was on the Allure last thanksgiving and was surprised to have to wait in line to get into Windjammer. A crew member was asking how many were in a party and seating people. I grabbed some food and went back to my room since the line was long.

Irritating, but the flowrider and the hang gliding didn't have a bad line.

Why? 1 O class ship carries over 300,000 pax a year and you are worried about 1 post. The ship carries the same amount of pax no matter which week you cruise, on average 104% full. Go and make up your own mind

Really? I wouldn't think so.

As for the dining room being overfull, I wonder if the demographic of this time of year cruise made a difference. We were on Oasis in April, and at late dining seating, every night there were many, many empty tables. As the tables were set for dinner, I assume that the people assigned there had chosen to eat at a specialty restaurant that night. Made for lots of room and faster service. On your cruise, since there were more family groupings, perhaps fewer of them choose to do the specialty dining and ate in the main dining room each night?

Obviously the MDR has a set amount of tables and chairs, but having a good chunk of them empty would make the entire facility look larger and less crowded.

Like I noted, we have sailed with this same family on the Oasis class ships 4 times. Before last week, I would have agreed that there was never a crowding problem. That is why we booked it.

For the poster who was on the same cruise, maybe didn't try the same activities. But if you were in the dining room 6 PM seating on deck 5 the table chairs were literally back to back.

As I said, I love the Oasis and Allure and especially the great entertainment (except Cats, but that is a different post). We will surely be back, but not in July.

The answer is simple. When the ship was redone for the aborted switch to Dynamic Dining, deck five was converted to Silk, the Asian fusion restaurant. The furniture installed here is much heavier and bulkier then the furniture installed on deck 4 (Grande) and deck three (Icon). We noticed it on night one and spent the rest of the cruise on deck 4 for dinner (the top two levels were MTD). We had lunch a couple of times on deck three, the Tutti salad location. Much lighter and smaller furniture.

How disappointing that was....but as you said overall you had a wonderful time. Seems ridiculous about the skating.....But when you are in a small city some times are busier than others.

Thank you for posting this as a reminder...not to book Oasis or any of the large ships during the summer. I would hate to fly from Southern California and feeling like I was at home...lol

Edited by land lover

hmmmm? so the OP took 14 people on a cruise. if everyone on the cruise took 14 people, I can imagine the crowd. I wonder what the newly married couple r the small family thought of a crowd of 14 people in the MDR.

it's just a matter of perspective

Edited by happy traveler69