Suite upsell offer criteria?

Paula_MacFan

My TA told me today that Princess offers suite upsells to Captain Circle members first, and does so by loyalty tier. I hadn't heard that before. I've read threads here about people offered upsells for $199 or $299 to full suites. Does anyone here have any first hand knowledge or experience with upsells and whether their loyalty level was a factor?

We have a mini suite booked for Alaska and would LOVE an upsell offer:)

I think it's done by the type of cabin you have more than your loyalty level. They're trying to sell every single cabin on the ship. If they think they can sell your balcony cabin if you move up to suite, then you could get the upgrade offer over someone who has sailed more in a cabin they don't think they can sell as easily.

My TA told me today that Princess offers suite upsells to Captain Circle members first, and does so by loyalty tier. I hadn't heard that before. I've read threads here about people offered upsells for $199 or $299 to full suites. Does anyone here have any first hand knowledge or experience with upsells and whether their loyalty level was a factor?

Can't tell you if there is any order for the offers. We were Elite, but barely, with 16 cruise credits for our Baltic cruise last June. DW, DD and I had a Cat ME mini-suite booked. About three weeks prior to the cruise we were offered an upgrade to a full suite for $299/person. The added charge was just for the first two passengers. It was great having the added space of the suite with three adults for an additional $598 :) :)

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by IECalCruiser

We went on several cruises in a mini, hoping for a deal on a suite. In 2012 we finally gave in and booked a suite. It was everything we hoped it would be and we've never looked back. I could kick myself for not having done it sooner.:cool:

Alaska on the Golden was when we got our upsell offer. We had booked an Emerald deck mini suite and upgraded to a Penthouse suite. I have since heard of several upsell offers on Alaska cruises. It's not a cruise where you spend a lot of time in your room and maybe people just don't want to spend the money on Alaska cruises. Good luck to you!

I recently had an offer for an upsell from a balcony to a suite, for $199.00 each and actually turned it down. They made the offer twice, once when there was a price drop after final payment and the other time shortly before sailing (when there was also a price drop). I often wonder if I made a mistake, but I knew my cabin and was happy with it. It also wasn't on Princess. If it was Princess I would have gladly paid the extra just for the free laundry! Yeah, I know the math doesn't add up, but hey!

We were upgraded for free many years ago from a cat BB to a full suite. Am I to understand that the days of free upgrades are over?:confused:

We got a free upgrade mini to full suite on a three day cruise last October.

We didn't get was double cruise credit.

You wouldn't get double credits since you got a FREE upgrade. Double credits are for those who actually pay for the suites. Upsells also get double credit.

We did not get double credit for the upsell. We asked and were denied as we had not paid full price for the suite.

I recently had an offer for an upsell from a balcony to a suite, for $199.00 each and actually turned it down. They made the offer twice, once when there was a price drop after final payment and the other time shortly before sailing (when there was also a price drop). I often wonder if I made a mistake, but I knew my cabin and was happy with it. It also wasn't on Princess. If it was Princess I would have gladly paid the extra just for the free laundry! Yeah, I know the math doesn't add up, but hey!

I hate to tell you this, but HAL suites also get free laundry. They also get free dry cleaning.

Alaska on the Golden was when we got our upsell offer. We had booked an Emerald deck mini suite and upgraded to a Penthouse suite. I have since heard of several upsell offers on Alaska cruises. It's not a cruise where you spend a lot of time in your room and maybe people just don't want to spend the money on Alaska cruises. Good luck to you!

That's our exact situation! We're booked on the Golden for Alaska, and have an Emerald deck mini suite booked. :)

Apparently not from many threads I searched. I couldn't believe how many people ask "should we take it"? It would be a no brainer for me.

It's not a no brainer. We declined an upsell last year because the asking price was too steep to go from a mini to a full suite. I forget the amount but it exceeded $1000 for a seven night cruise.

Have a look and see how many suites are still available for your cruise by doing a mock booking. That will give you an idea what the chances are of them being offered. On my next cruise the suites were all gone 13 months out. A couple opened up due to cancellations but never lasted a day before they were snapped up. On the 4 day we did last Nov on the Golden I met several people who had been offered them. That cruise however sailed half empty with just over 1350 passengers on board.

We did not get double credit for the upsell. We asked and were denied as we had not paid full price for the suite.

If you paid for an Upsell to a full suite, call Princess back cause you should have gotten double credits. We have done this twice and received double credits but had to call to get it.

Hello Paula. We have received the following email for each or our last three cruises! The amounts varied by offer and length of Cruise had nothing to do with the offer. Every offer was because we had booked a mini-suite! Also, the Can/NE was the most expensive!! Go Figure!:confused:

1. *SPECIAL OFFER FOR PAST PASSENGER GUESTS BOOKED IN A MINI-SUITE CABIN(AA-AE) On Star Princess departing SEPTEMBER 09, 2012 (9229) PRINCESS CRUISES is pleased to announce a very special upgrade offer!
  2. Received one for a 14 day Hawaii Cruise.
  3. Received one for a 7 day Can/NE Cruise.

We took advantage of each because we were afraid that if we didn't, they might quit offering...HAHA :eek:However, the timing was also quite a surprise... 9 days on the 1st offer, 7 days on the second offer and 28 days on the last offer. What ever the Price or the Time, we will never turn down a chance to buy up to a suite! :D

Enjoy and Relax, particularly in a suite!:rolleyes:

If you paid for an Upsell to a full suite, call Princess back cause you should have gotten double credits. We have done this twice and received double credits but had to call to get it.

This is absolutely correct! As a result of the upgrades we are now Platinum on our way to Elite if I last that long!!! :rolleyes: