Drive to Emerald Lake

btorlv

We were going to use Dyea Dave's tour on a mini bus to Emerald Lake in Skagway. Does anyone know if the road is very windy (my husband tends to get car sick) or are the turns pretty mellow?

We're thinking about getting a rental car and doing our own drive up to Emerald Lake. Will be there the first week of Sept. Has anyone experienced bad winter weather---snow, sleet, etc.---the first part of Sept.?

Also, do rental cars in Skagway tend to get booked up early? How far out should we book a car? And can we cancel if say the week before vacation the weather forecasts show snow, etc for that area?

Avis is really the only place to rent so I'd do it as early as you can. Chances of just walking up and renting a car are slim to none. Early Sept you should be fine, maybe even some color change. Late Sept things might get poor. I don't think you have to worry about snow that early.

How far is Emerald Lake? Thinking of a car rental and need to decide how much time to allow for the trip.

About 70 miles.

It's a very easy, very scenic drive, with lots of pullouts all along the way.

Around 5 hours should be plenty, including stops for lunch and sightseeing, and ice-cream at the general store in Carcross, and dropping off your passengers and packages at the ship, re-filling the gas tank and returning the rental car when you get back to Skagway.

But we like to allow 6 hours to play it safe, so we can drive slowly and enjoy a relaxing trip without feeling rushed or worrying about the time.

That allows extra time to stop and watch the bears, if any are out alongside the road that day.

There may or may not be a delay at the border crossing in either direction, depending on how many other vehicles are there in line in front of you.

Sometimes there is nobody else in front of you at all, so you just make a brief stop at the border and continue on your way.

Don't forget to bring your passports.

Edited by fleckle

Two Questions

On the drive back to Skagway from Emerald Lake

Is it a straight drive back or is there a lot of pull overs ?

Also i see that there is a trading Post that has a mush camp north of Carcross notice you can get lunch there (BBQ) and you can take a dog sled ride

Is it worth the stop ? Does this stop eat up a lot of time

Two Questions

On the drive back to Skagway from Emerald Lake

Is it a straight drive back or is there a lot of pull overs ?

Also i see that there is a trading Post that has a mush camp north of Carcross notice you can get lunch there (BBQ) and you can take a dog sled ride

Is it worth the stop ? Does this stop eat up a lot of time

It is entirely up to you whether you want to drive straight through, or make stops for sightseeing along the way.

There are pullouts as well as wide shoulders in many places on both sides of the road.

You are the ones who decide how many stops you want to make, and how much time to spend at each.

Often highly recommended here is to print out a copy of Murray's Guide to the South Klondike Highway to bring along with you.

Just google it. There is a shorter free version, or you can get the full version for $5.

The trading post you mention, Caribou Crossing, is where the tour buses stop for lunch. There are dog cart rides, puppies to pet, and a museum of stuffed animals. Some people like it, and others consider it a tourist trap.

It is not a dog sled ride, only a wheeled cart pulled by dogs, but probably worthwhile if you have children with you.

We prefer to have lunch at the little bakery in Carcross, where they have homemade soup and sandwiches, without the tour bus crowds.

Edited by fleckle

......re-filling the gas tank and returning the rental car when you get back to Skagway.......

Fleckle, thank you for this very helpful drive-time info. Now another question! How far are the car rental places from the ship pier? Is there any kind of shuttle to get you back and forth between the two, both in the morning leaving the ship and returning in the afternoon? I don't walk well at all and need to plan even very short walks carefully!

Thanks again for all your great info! :)

That is a good question... (and, Hello Neighbor!!!)

I am assuming it is walkable, for most people who do not have significant limitations. (I can do about a mile....)

I have google mapped the AVIS location.

I have been assuming that everyone walks. I have have not heard about using taxis or shuttles???

I just do not know where the Princess ships usually dock.

I hope that somebody here can give some more specific info.

Edited by Wishing on a star

What ship and date will you be in Skagway? Depending on which ship you’re on and the date you could be at Ore Pier or Railroad pier, Princess uses both those berths. It’s a pretty good hike to Avis car rental from either Pier. If you’re on Railroad Pier they have a golf cart shuttle that will take you to the end of the pier, if you can catch the guy, he works for tips. If you’re on Ore Pier you’ll have to get a cab to Avis, cabs are few and far between in Skagway. It takes us about 25 – 30 minutes to walk to the Avis car rental.

Thank you so much, eagle.

I did a search and found this web-site:

http://skagway.com/skagway-cruiseship-calendar/

The Coral Princess is scheduled to be at the RR, early a.m.

(probably good that we dock well before the three other three cruise ships at Skagway that day!)

AVIS really should have a shuttle van, like airport terminals. given that there are no other good options available.

They do not acknowledge any discounts... charge expensive rates... and no shuttle???

Maybe my husband will put on his running shoes (so to speak) and hustle himself up to AVIS, while I wait for him to pick up the car and come back and get me!

Edited by Wishing on a star

AVIS really should have a shuttle van, like airport terminals. given that there are no other good options available.

They do not acknowledge any discounts... charge expensive rates... and no shuttle???

Skagway is a VERY small town. Even from the furthest docks, it's only about a half mile walk to Avis. Sure, someone with mobility limitations might need to catch a ride on the SMART bus, but most people can walk it quickly. I'm fat and out of shape and I can make it in 10 minutes. :rolleyes:

Thank you so much, eagle.

I did a search and found this web-site:

http://skagway.com/skagway-cruiseship-calendar/

The Coral Princess is scheduled to be at the RR, early a.m.

(probably good that we dock well before the three other three cruise ships at Skagway that day!)

Maybe my husband will put on his running shoes (so to speak) and hustle himself up to AVIS, while I wait for him to pick up the car and come back and get me!

Wishing on a star thanks for posting the docking schedule for Skagway, you’re lucky it looks like the Coral Princess docks on Railroad Pier forward, it’s a lot closer to Avis than Ore Pier which we dock at. The only problem I have with docking at Ore Pier is it’s right next to the Helicopter landing pad and it gives me flash backs from all the coming and going of the helicopters.

Whoever owns the Avis franchise in Skagway has a monopoly on car rentals and doesn’t have to do much extra to rent their cars. No shuttle, no discounts, they are the only game in town besides Sourdough and Alaska Green Jeep Tour Rentals. Whenever I go someplace I’ve never been I go on google earth take little photo tour and look at the lay of the land.

Randy

We booked through green Jeep because Avis won't let you go to dyea. Have not used them before so can' t comment on them.

We rented from Avis and went to Dyea after we returned from Emerald Lake...no one told us we couldn't...

It is lucky there are rental cars at all. They have to come from Anchorage and are returned there end of season ( a few are left, since they are now open all year). Take a look at a map- how far those cars have to come and the costs involved. An Avis shuttle??? I'll speculate you'll see why that isn't an option when you get there. There already is a shuttle- SMART bus for a few dollars, takes you to the Avis block. Yes you have to book ahead. It never fails, I see walk up people trying to get cars- with them all turned away.

Emerald Lake shouldn't be looked at more than a turn around point. The drive to Whitehorse is dull after Emerald lake. There are activities there, but cruise ship passengers don't have enough time for many of them.

I highly recommend, for first timers, Murray's Guide, every detailed and nicely written. At the start in Skagway, set your trip odometer since the mile posts are easy to miss, and some are missing.

I have never run into any snow beginning of Sept. Most of the time, I've enjoyed the fall foliage. I have run into a lot of snow in May, one time a white out at the pass and at least 12 foot high snow banks. :) This past May- there was no snow, mid May- every year is different.

Edited by Budget Queen

• 1 month later...
For anyone who has taken the train and did the drive yourself to Emerald Lake, which did you prefer and why?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Numerous times. They are equally excellent touring options. With the train- you MUST, have the interest, in my opinion. The train, is superior for scenery, engineering, and history. But- I see people, think they "must" take the train, because reports claim this. I can't disagree more.

The combo tours, do offer very nice options and give a wide range of enjoyment. 2 different modes of travel, also breaks up the trip. I have done a lot of round trip Emerald Lake shuttles, with people sleeping on the way back. :)

I compared the cost of a rental car for two people, with the added fees and gasoline,

etc. and found we could let Dyea Dave's tour do the driving (with guide) for about

the same amount of money.

Following week there will be four of us, so cost per person changes, but was not

worth it for the cost of two people in a rental car for us.

To each their own of course. ;)

Fleckle, thank you for this very helpful drive-time info. Now another question! How far are the car rental places from the ship pier? Is there any kind of shuttle to get you back and forth between the two, both in the morning leaving the ship and returning in the afternoon? I don't walk well at all and need to plan even very short walks carefully!

Thanks again for all your great info! :)

Tennessee Rose, just did this a couple weeks ago. There are shuttles on the dock that take you to the end of the dock (just a tip for driver), then there are shuttles into town...$2 per person. The one that let's off right in town is just around the corner from the Avis.

It is a level, but far walk from the ship without any extra transport if you don't walk well. I took it really slow on the way in but took advantage of the shuttle from town to the pier on the way back.

I have done a lot of round trip Emerald Lake shuttles, with people sleeping on the way back.
DH slept on the Tundra Wilderness Tour in Denali. I couldn't understand how anyone could sleep with so much to look at.

When we rented a car in Skagway, Murray's Guide was invaluable. My favorite spots were a lake along the way where we saw eagles fishing and a waterfall near a bridge where I was able to pick some wild blueberries. I also enjoyed the world's smallest desert.