Flip Flops vs Sandals

TennesseeSong

Greetings and salutations.

My GF is in a panic because Amazon has basically lost her new shoe delivery and she insists her sandals will not be allowed on formal night. The only thing I see is flip-flops are not allowed as far as footwear goes. I have scoured the boards here and at RC and cannot find a definition of a flip flop vs a sandal. So.. I pose to you.. my veteran cruisers. What is the difference?. I define a flip flop as the foam rubber things you can buy for $1 at Walmart.. not $40 sandals you order online. But I'm a guy.. I may be wrong about shoes

I'm guessing that whatever she has is fine. That said, she's a woman who is going on a cruise, and deserves to FEEL great on formal night. Therefore, if she isn't going to feel special in what she's calling flip flops, then she should pick up sandals that she'll like better.

What is the difference?. I define a flip flop as the foam rubber things you can buy for $1 at Walmart.. not $40 sandals you order online. But I'm a guy.. I may be wrong about shoes

Flip flops are sandals with toe thongs (many places call those sandals "thongs") and no back strap around the heel. They flip and flop. It doesn't matter if they're cheap rubber or $50 leather. They're still flip flops.

That said, I don't think it will matter.

The only kind of sandals I wear are the thong type. Mine are typically in the $50-100 price range, rather than the $1 at Walmart shower shoes/flip flops. I have never had an issue on any of my cruises.

Flip flops are sandals with toe thongs (many places call those sandals "thongs") and no back strap around the heel. They flip and flop. It doesn't matter if they're cheap rubber or $50 leather. They're still flip flops.

That said, I don't think it will matter.

Totally agree that it will not matter that the OP's girlfriend wears sandals.

HOWEVER, for some god natured "arguing", I beg to differ on your definition. Go to Zappo's Shoes and search flip flops and hundreds upon hundreds of just rubber flip flops come up. Search sandals and you will find, probably hundreds again, sandals with a toe thong and no back strap around the heel. Also, I have some slides that don't have a toe thong and they go flip flop when I walk.:D:D:D

Totally agree that it will not matter that the OP's girlfriend wears sandals.

HOWEVER, for some god natured "arguing", I beg to differ on your definition. Go to Zappo's Shoes and search flip flops and hundreds upon hundreds of just rubber flip flops come up. Search sandals and you will find, probably hundreds again, sandals with a toe thong and no back strap around the heel. Also, I have some slides that don't have a toe thong and they go flip flop when I walk.:D:D:D

Ah, yes, I forgot that an internet retailer is sets the definition ;)

I'm not into shoes so I bring as few pairs as possible on a cruise. For me, three pairs (walking loafers or sneakers, sandals, and dressier sandals) will work on a two-week cruise. On our last one, I brought a closed shoe instead of dressier sandals, and ended up hurting my toe nail. So for the rest of the cruise wore my ordinary sandals. Even on New years eve, which was a formal night (my dress was cocktail length). Not a problem at all.

BTW, grew up in Southern California, and called these "zories", but we also refer to these as flip flops or throngs. (anything else that's an open shoe, whether with the thingy between the toes or not, whether with the back strap or not, with heels or are flat, are sandals)

1773767288_flipflops.jpg.c790aefb90367e415a13e6d3e591ab40.jpg

Sandals can be thong sandals...but they aren't "flip-flops" unless they're rubber/plastic...and they will be FINE for any dining venue! Tell your GF not to worry!

By the way, cost has NOTHING to do with how appropriate a piece of clothing might be.... You could buy a nice thong SANDAL for less than some "designer-named" flip flops!

Edited by cb at sea

\

Well, Zappo's was just one example and it's probably the norm for most sellers of shoes, online or otherwise. Seems like you're setting the definition.;)

. But I'm a guy.. I may be wrong about shoes

You are totally right but you are a guy so it makes no difference if you are right or wrong. By definition, you are wrong because you are a guy. You should know that by now. LOL!!!

With regard to the post right above this one, I wear Birkenstocks or Chacos at dinner except for formal night and sometimes even then. I just wear them with dress socks that match my dress pants. If women can wear open shoes, so can I.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

...unless you are male, then they may ask you to change your footwear.

You beat me to it. :D

It seems women can get away with virtually anything but we gents are subjected to special scrutiny. Not a complaint, just an observation.

To that end, as long as any shoe doesn't "look" like a flip flop - even if it is - it will more than likely pass muster.

Rep

But I'm a guy.. I may be wrong about shoes

You will find you get along much better if you always end any opinion, during a debate with a female, with the above qualifier...minus the last two words.

This applies to everything...not just those matters related to a cruise vacation.

It seems women can get away with virtually anything but we gents are subjected to special scrutiny. Not a complaint, just an observation.

Funny.....I was thinking just the opposite. I guess it depends on who's deciding. I find men are often very dressed down (jeans and shirt-tails hanging out) while women are gossiped and even chastised for not dressing "up" in dresses, heels, and jewelry. (I'm not speaking about cruise ship MDRs, just in general.)

Remember how Hillary Clinton was ragged on for not having her hair done, when the male politicians had a day's growth of beard without comment?

Flip flops are typically what you wear around a pool or beach. They are very casual and typically waterproof. Sandals are also open-toed but are dressier. They are often worn in warm weather but you would usually avoid getting them wet in the pool or surf.

On a cruise, I wore my flip flops when I was lounging by the pool or into the Windjammer but I wore sandals into the MDR.

To that end, as long as any shoe doesn't "look" like a flip flop - even if it is - it will more than likely pass muster.

Rep

I know right.:p

You will find you get along much better if you always end any opinion, during a debate with a female, with the above qualifier...minus the last two words.

This applies to everything...not just those matters related to a cruise vacation.

Reminds me of the saying.

If a man says something and no one hears it, is he still wrong?

Woman's answer =Yes.;)

Funny.....I was thinking just the opposite. I guess it depends on who's deciding. I find men are often very dressed down (jeans and shirt-tails hanging out) while women are gossiped and even chastised for not dressing "up" in dresses, heels, and jewelry. (I'm not speaking about cruise ship MDRs, just in general.)

Remember how Hillary Clinton was ragged on for not having her hair done, when the male politicians had a day's growth of beard without comment?

Two observations (not being political either) to counter your argument.

Guys with messy hair are commented on as well -see Trump and if any women had a day's growth of beard they probably would be commented on as well.:eek:

• 1 month later...

I agree with the other posters, in general a flip flop is what the OP describes something you wear to the pool or beach and generally made of rubber or plastic.

A sandal along these lines I suppose you could call a thong sandal but in English or British English, the only one that counts:D a flip flop is not a sandal.

A thong sandal would probably look fine in the MDR but certainly not a flip flop IMO.

Edited by CELTICGIRLCRUISER