Paris- Which Princess Tours?

JulieM

Bonjour!

We will dock in Le Havre in August on a British Isles Cruise. Hoping for help choosing which Princess excursion to take.

Could anyone who has been on the Princess "Paris City Drive and Louvre Museum" or the "Paris City Drive and Seine Rivercruise" please advise / review for me?

This will be our first time in Paris. Want to get in as much as possible in case we never get back. Seeing the Louvre is not as much a priority but getting to have lunch in the Eiffel Tower on the "PCD and Louvre" tour" is very attractive. However, it seems like we'd get more actual sites in for our time with the Seine Rivercruise.

Not looking for advice on not to go to Paris (ie Normandy instead) nor that we should use private tour. We are set on using Princess just need help narrowing down btw the 2.

Appreciate any help!

Bonjour!

We will dock in Le Havre in August on a British Isles Cruise. Hoping for help choosing which Princess excursion to take.

Could anyone who has been on the Princess "Paris City Drive and Louvre Museum" or the "Paris City Drive and Seine Rivercruise" please advise / review for me?

This will be our first time in Paris. Want to get in as much as possible in case we never get back. Seeing the Louvre is not as much a priority but getting to have lunch in the Eiffel Tower on the "PCD and Louvre" tour" is very attractive. However, it seems like we'd get more actual sites in for our time with the Seine Rivercruise.

Not looking for advice on not to go to Paris (ie Normandy instead) nor that we should use private tour. We are set on using Princess just need help narrowing down btw the 2.

Appreciate any help!

Have you joined the roll call for your cruise? Usually lots of good info there. ;)

We tried to book the lunch in the Eiffel Tower, but were waitlisted, and never did get on it - but we did do the Seine river cruise and loved it. The food was fantastic, the violin player was excellent and we had no regrets. The only negative of the whole day was the fact that the bus we were on must have been made for very small people, because while neither my husband and I are very tall, it was a long time with no leg room! We were like you - might never be back that way, and if we were that close to Paris that was what we wanted to see. Loved our (brief) time there!

Another vote for the river cruise. You'll see more of Paris especially if it's a nice day. I personally love the Louvre, but it would be overwhelming given the short amount of time you will have. Also, it will be very crowded in August. You won't regret taking the river cruise as so many of the landmarks of Paris are along the river. Enjoy your trip to Paris--you will want to come back for a longer stay.

Another vote for the river cruise. We've been to Paris a couple of times and this would be the best way to see several sites, get lots of pictures and learn about those sites in a short period of time. Personally, I think it's more of a thrill to see the Eiffel Tower from a distance than to wait in lineups to go in and have lunch. The Louvre is nice to see too but only one of the many wonderful things to see in Paris.

The Princess excursion we took was "Paris on Your Own"!

Basically, Princess provided our transport to and from Paris and we were free to do whatever we wished while there. :)

Agree with many others: Seeing the Eiffel Tower from a distance was more thrilling than seeing it close up. ;)

LuLu

Basically, Princess provided our transport to and from Paris and we were free to do whatever we wished while there. :)

Agree with many others: Seeing the Eiffel Tower from a distance was more thrilling than seeing it close up. ;)

LuLu

We are also doing the "Paris on Your Own" tour. While looking forward to it, me gut tells me that it would look better from a distance. I have been to the Statue of Liberty a few times. And it is definitely better looking from a distance.

As for the tour, my concern is getting back to the bus. I assume it will be parked where we get off. But you know how it is....waiting for the cruise I think of everything that can happen....

I am sure there will be no problem.

I was recently in Paris. I've been many times with having family in France. The Eiffel Tower is best seen from afar. That was its purpose in the first place. There is a good view from up there, but you can get a view from the top floor of the Pompidou museum that is about as good. This may be your only opportunity to see Mona Lisa and the Venus de Milo, so you would have to weigh your options concerning the Louvre. If art is not your thing, then the river cruise is a good choice. You will see the Eiffel Tower from the river, which is nice. It will be difficult to see everything in one day, so you'll need to research what you do want to see. I can't imaging not visiting Notre Dame and the Sainte Chappelle, but those are my priorities. You'll love the visit no matter what you do.

Bonjour!

Appreciate any help!

I've done the Louvre Museum Princess tour as I was in the same boat as you, never been and want to see the classic landmarks as I would probably never be back again. My vote is also for the Seine Rivercruise. I shared my lengthy story from the Louvre tour as my worst tour experience on another thread here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=46385161#post46385161

Personally, the "city drive" was the best part of the whole time. Tack on a pit stop at the Eiffel Tower to get pics and ride up the elevator to experience the view and it would have been a perfect excursion for me.

We are also doing the "Paris on Your Own" tour. While looking forward to it, me gut tells me that it would look better from a distance. I have been to the Statue of Liberty a few times. And it is definitely better looking from a distance.

As for the tour, my concern is getting back to the bus. I assume it will be parked where we get off. But you know how it is....waiting for the cruise I think of everything that can happen....

I am sure there will be no problem.

Hi Past Cruise Pal! :D

You're right! We were told to meet at the same place they dropped us off!

No Problem ... Easy! :)

LuLu

LuLu

Good idea. :)

Bonjour!

Appreciate any help!

We have been to Paris twice with Princes. Both times took the river cruise with meal. No regrets doing it twice. That worth while. Be prepared for a lot of wine!! The second time we were given free time (about an hour). Just enough to roam around main shop areas. We have also had the pleasure of doing Normandy. So maybe next time around we will do that for the second time. You will se so much on the river cruise. I enjoy just rethinking about that day. We are rather tall and the bus was roomy.

Hi Past Cruise Pal! :D

You're right! We were told to meet at the same place they dropped us off!

No Problem ... Easy! :)

LuLu

Thanks, I knew that, but you know how it goes....;)

Edited by AKman2495

Just be aware that you'll be spending a minimum of 6 hours on the bus and less than 3 hours in Paris. Also, it can get very hot in Paris in August!

Ours with Princess was 10 1/2 hours total with 4 1/2 hours in Paris. :)

LuLu

We have visited Paris many times, my DH is from Paris. Whenever we are on a cruise that stops in LaHavre, enroute to England, i.e last stop... we get off there and spend time in Paris and return to the USA from France. We request a trip deviation from the cruise line in advance. Book the tour Paris on your own, which makes it easy for us to get from the port to Paris.

Paris is such a wonderful city, impossible to do it justice in 3-4 hours... so offer this as another option.

Paris is a great walking city... like others have said, the River cruise is a great option for the limited time on a cruise ship tour.

I am planning to visit Paris twice next year enroute to Televiv... we plan to stop both direction and enjoy the city in the spring.

Hope you enjoy Paris and return many times like we have -- special city.

We have visited Paris many times, my DH is from Paris. Whenever we are on a cruise that stops in LaHavre, enroute to England, i.e last stop... we get off there and spend time in Paris and return to the USA from France. We request a trip deviation from the cruise line in advance. Book the tour Paris on your own, which makes it easy for us to get from the port to Paris.

Paris is such a wonderful city, impossible to do it justice in 3-4 hours... so offer this as another option.

Paris is a great walking city... like others have said, the River cruise is a great option for the limited time on a cruise ship tour.

I am planning to visit Paris twice next year enroute to Televiv... we plan to stop both direction and enjoy the city in the spring.

Hope you enjoy Paris and return many times like we have -- special city.

We would love your advice on seeing Paris.

We're not cruising this year. (The cruise we were considering ended up conflicting with my high school's 50th class reunion.)

Then we received an offer to fly to Paris, spend 3 days there, and then fly to Amsterdam, and spend 3 days there. We have been to Amsterdam (but in the winter, not in the summer when tulips have bloomed in the Netherlands), but have never been to Paris.

Since we have been advised that 3 days in Paris is not really enough, I can see why 4 hours is totally inadequate. My DW is the world's finest art teacher, so naturally museums are important to her. Her plans (I just follow along) are to buy the 2 day museum pass and book a tour of Monet's Gardens and the Palace of Versailles for the other day. Does this sound reasonable?

BTW, we actually land in Paris on our wedding anniversary (#38). (Last year on out anniversary, we had an overnight in Edinburg on a British Isles cruise on the Ocean Princess.)

I think you have to accept the tour descriptions on face value and let the description guide your decision. If you do not have an interest in the Louvre then it seems silly to spend part of your too-short time in Paris being dragged through the musuem. Short Louvre visits usually involve being rushed through the huge place to see the most famous works such as the Mona Lisa. Unfortunately for some, this is a lot of walking since the famous works are not necessarily close to the entrance (or each other).

As to the river cruise (a very common activity in Paris) it is what it is :). You go up and down the Seine in a large tour boat and get a narrative of what is along the shore and various bridges. Having been to Paris many times (on our own) both DW and I still enjoy occasionally taking a River Cruise (although I prefer nighttime). But I think the best advice we can give the OP is to simply go with your instincts knowing that you will only get a very brief overview of Paris in such a short time. We have literally spent weeks in this city without ever being bored or thinking we have "seen it all." Our first visit was also on a cruise tour (about thirty-five years ago) which is what started our love affair with this amazing city. Now, a visit to Paris usually means renting an apartment for at least a week.

Hank

We did the Seine River cruise. It was a lot of time in the bus but since we hadn't been to Paris we thought this was the best choice. The lunch was fantastic but it wasn't really a good opportunity to take pictures unless you happen to be seated by a window. They file you in and you don't have a choice of where you will sit. The boat is filled with long tables and we had people between us and the windows. We did have photo opportunities while driving around the city and we stopped at a place that was perfect for taking pictures of the Eiffel Tower.

I did the Seine Bateaux lunch cruise from LeHavre and absolutely loved it. It was a sizzling 91 degrees that day. The people were enjoying the fountains and out along the riverbank. It was a very long but wonderful memorable day.

Ours with Princess was 10 1/2 hours total with 4 1/2 hours in Paris. :)

LuLu

I know is not ideal, but for never having been to Paris, this is the best we can do.

Plus, I figure the time we have there, although limited is not time spent in a bus looking at things. Walking around the city-for even a few hours-gives you a "boots on the ground" feel for it.

Yes!!!!! Do a Paris excursion. We were on the BI cruise in May and did the Louvre and Eiffel Tower excursion. We had a good guide. We stopped at a pit stop where they also sold souvenirs. When in Paris we drove by the Arc de Triomph. I got a lot of pictures through the bus window that came out great (I was on the side of the bus the driver sits on which is the right side as you walk up the aisle). We also drove down part of the Champs Elysee and past the Place de la Concorde. There was some issue with computers or something which our tour guide said caused her not to be able to take us on a tour inside the Louvre. She told us how to get to the Mona Lisa. Before you get to that painting you climb up stairs which has the Winged Victory statue (it is from ancient greece and although I had heard about it from many years ago many people I have spoken with never did). After the Mona Lisa we got lost trying to find the Venus de Milo. Was it hectic in there? Yes. Did I see much? Not really because we could not follow the map we were given and did not want to miss the bus so we rushed and really ended up at the meeting place about 20 minutes early. Was I glad we went? YESSSS! Then we had lunch at the Eiffel Tower. We had no issues there. I wish we knew what the lunch was because I ate the appetizer even though I did not care for it because I thought it was the main meal :( It was a slab like meat loaf that had duck and fois gras. It filled me up. The main meal was chicken and mashed potatoes. I took a few bites and it was delicious!! Nice and moist. Dessert was a lemon tart of some sort. We got lots of pictures of Paris from that level of the Eiffel Tower. Then we had the ride back to Le Havre.

All in all I would do this again in a heartbeat. Even my tall dh did not mind the bus ride (some tour buses have more leg room than others. Luckily this one had more leg room). The ride goes by fast. You listen to the tour guide, you talk to neighbors sitting nearby and you also sleep a little because you have to meet so early.

Whichever tour you choose… enjoy Paris!

Edited by dickinson