Flights out of Ft. Lauderdale

Sunchaser46

Looking to book return flights from Ft. Lauderdale. Our cruise arrives in port at 6:00am. Wondering what is the earliest I can book a flight? Flying back to Seattle. Currently looking at a 9:45 am departure or 11:00am departure and wondering if I'll have enough time to get one of those flights?

Thanks!

Looking to book return flights from Ft. Lauderdale. Our cruise arrives in port at 6:00am. Wondering what is the earliest I can book a flight? Flying back to Seattle. Currently looking at a 9:45 am departure or 11:00am departure and wondering if I'll have enough time to get one of those flights?

Thanks!

The 9:45 AM departure will be very tight. Pax are not allowed off the ship until the government has released the ship for disembarkation which usually is 7:30 to 8:00 or so. The airport is maybe 15 minutes away which is good however and those getting off first have an ample supply of taxis available. If you decide have the ship unload your luggage, the first pax off are around 8ish so it could be close to 9 before you get to the taxi. The FLL airport can be very busy since there are most likely several ships (6+ sometimes) in port at the same time and 15,000+ pax leaving and the same number arriving. I would go for the 11 AM.

Thanks!

11am should be no problem. Airport is 10 minutes away,very quick cab ride. 11am gives you enough time to account for any minor delays, both with disembarkation - which won't begin till around 6:30/7, and any minor delays at the airport with security, check-in, etc...

9:45, while doable barely, is really pushing your luck with every single thing going your way including first few in walk-off with all your luggage, no hangups with immigration/customs and cabs ready and waiting - and no lines at the airport for baggage drop or security. Too close foe comfort for us for our last day.

Thanks!

I had a 11:10 flight to Boston this past January and had no problem making it.

We were off the ship at 9:00 am and at the airport in less then 20 minutes.

The taxi cabs are right outside. The 9:45 am departure if you do the walk off you may be alright. I just don't know. If you just have to wait one hour more to be safe that's what I would do. Good luck!!

Tony

Thanks!

The 9:45 am departure may be theoretically possible with self debarkation and private transport or taxi to FFL. We don't know however if the ship can actually start debarkation at 6am.

It may be stress-free if you will take your other choice of 11am departure.

Getting to the airport is half the battle. You need to take into account checking in and going through Security. Often, the lines going through Security are quite long. If you book the 9:45am flight, make sure you have a back-up plan in place. I've disembarked at FLL and due to delays, disembarkation didn't even start until close to 9:30am.

Waaay too early for me. The stress alone would give me a heart attack.

How adventurous are you? If you are willing to risk missing your flight and a good back up exists, go for it.

I however would book a later departure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks!

0945 is way too tight (IMHO). If there is a customs/immigration snafu, your debarkation could and would very well probably be delayed. I personally would never look for a flight before 1200, much less 1100.....:):):)

Bob

Edited by Woobstr112G

being st the airport is one thing, getting bags checked, which i believe you have to have done at least 45 min-an hour before flight, an then through security are another thing. i've had some nightmare security experiences in fll.

if port is fll then 11 might be doable, but i would pass on the 9:45. if port is miami, then i would go after noon, because the ride from miami to fll while technically not far can be crazy in traffic.

and also keep in mind unexpected delays, my last miami cruise, disemarbkation was stopped for about an hour because the mooring lines had come loose and the gangway had to be retracted while the ship was remoored. which was problematic becuase there ws a thunderstorm happening. yay florida weather:)

Edited by vampiress

I have flown out of FLL for almost all my Princess cruises below. I have a 10:50 and am a little anxious as in the past I have seen some very long security lines at FLL but this was the only non stop going back home that day. There are 3 of us and I know the ropes so will make sure we are off as early as possible. I have TSA pre check as well so hopefully that will help. Princess says after 11, I would not book the earlier flight. Why put yourself thru a lot of stress with the earlier one when you have a later option.

11AM is my choice. On our last cruise there was only one customs agent on duty when the walk offs started through. Just getting through customs took an hour. Then there was a traffic issue because there were seven ships in port. We got through TSA about 9:40. Several passengers missed the 9:45 flight and all the flights to Atlanta were full with long lists of standbys already. They had little chance to get out until the next day.

Book the earliest fight, no problem. I have gotten a 7:30 flight home out of Ft Lauderdale, no problem

.....PM or the next morning? While you may have pulled this off, you are doing the OP potential harm by even mentioning this stroke of luck you had. The thought of anything prior to 10 am is very risky indeed and anyone booking before 11 is still taking a chance. Last time I flew out of FLL the TSA line was enormous.

.....PM or the next morning? While you may have pulled this off, you are doing the OP potential harm by even mentioning this stroke of luck you had. The thought of anything prior to 10 am is very risky indeed and anyone booking before 11 is still taking a chance. Last time I flew out of FLL the TSA line was enormous.

Actually AM....I was off the ship by 6:15, through CBP and through airport security by 6:45,

Edited by myfuzzy

Thanks!

Take 11 in case of any delays.

Actually AM....I was off the ship by 6:15, through CBP and through airport security by 6:45,

that is spectacularly lucky.

it may be possible to make the first flight, but you should book the second flight. if you get to the airport early enough, you can see if the airline will let you take the earlier flight.

honestly, as someone who flys out of fll on the regular becuase i have family in town, i think it is unlikely you will have all water fowl and stars aligned to make the first flight.

only you can determine how much salt each response is worth on the internet.

Edited by vampiress