Canadian cruise question

Caroldoll

Yea. By starting one cruise and ending the other in a foreign port (or otherwise including a foreign port stop on the itinerary of each leg), you're set. More of an issue for the cruise line than the cruiser - if this is the concern.

What was your original concern about the potential plan?

I have read in CC about some B2Bs not being permitted, attributed to something called the Jones Act in the US. One example was a cruise starting in Seattle to Alaska, ending in Vancouver. The second cruise was Vancouver to Hawaii, and this B2B was not allowed due the act.

I have read in CC about some B2Bs not being permitted, attributed to something called the Jones Act in the US. One example was a cruise starting in Seattle to Alaska, ending in Vancouver. The second cruise was Vancouver to Hawaii, and this B2B was not allowed due the act.

The "Jones Act" is about U.S. ports I copied and pasted a very brief note about it below:

The Merchant Marine Act of 1920 (P.L. 66-261), also known as the Jones Act, is a United States federal statute that provides for the promotion and maintenance of the American merchant marine. Among other purposes, the law regulates maritime commerce in U.S. waters and between U.S. ports.

Starting and ending in Canada is perfectly fine--Canadian law is applicable in this case.

You are correct and I do understand the TS's concern since Canada borders the U.S. and the Jones Act does have some weird requirements in place for the of us in the U.S. that sail into and out of U.S. ports.

The applicability of the Jones act is between the cruise line and the US government. It is safe to assume that all cruises by any major line will be in compliance. We did a Regent that left from San Francisco, then up to Alaska, and disembarked in Vancouver.

The other part about Americans being able to visit Canada, the only requirement is that the Americans are limited to 180 days without a visa. I assume that, like Canadians in the US, that figure is for any 365 day period. There are no restrictions on how many times American can leave and re-enter Canada, and similarly for Canadians leaving and re-entering the US.

This is the example cruise and what is being discussed. In the case of this B2B, the cruise started in the US, Seattle and ended in the US, Hawaii and this is not allowed by the Jones Act so why the person could not do this B2B.

Don't confuse this with round trips from Miami and the like which are OK due to another part of the Jones Act allowing Closed Loop Cruises that start and end in the same port. Seattle and Hawaii are not the same port.

My understanding is that cruises can start and end in different U.S. ports' date=' as long as they stop at at least one non-U.S. port during the course of the cruise.[/quote']

Close but, no cigar. Must be a "Distant" foreign port and Canada, Mexico, Central America, Bermuda and most Caribbean Islands do not qualify as distant foreign ports.

Close but, no cigar. Must be a "Distant" foreign port and Canada, Mexico, Central America, Bermuda and most Caribbean Islands do not qualify as distant foreign ports.

Ah! That explains the stop in Colombia on my Panama Canal cruise last year, which sailed Miami to San Francisco. It was the one non-Central American, Caribbean or U.S. port on the cruise.