Ebola making a difference in your next cruise?

Sam.Seattle

I was so surprised last night when I suggested we buy airline tickets to FLL for a holiday cruise and not book the ship till the last minute looking for a deal. If the ships were full, that would be fine and we would enjoy Florida sunshine!

The surprise was when DW said, I prefer to not travel until we learn more about the Ebola situation.

Anyone else amending their travel plans?

No, I haven't changed my travel plans as long as I am flying jets that are US based rather than international. I run a hospital - we are all gearing up 'just in case' and it does worry me, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am traveling to Istanbul for a cruise this week. I'm planning to be in Rome for a week at Thanksgiving. After that I will be flying in February to Thailand for a SE Asia cruise.

I'm not too worried. Seems more likely to me that I would be in an deadly traffic accident going to and from work than that I would be a) exposed to and b) would contract Ebola. At least, as of now.

I'm not too worried. Seems more likely to me that I would be in an deadly traffic accident going to and from work than that I would be a) exposed to and b) would contract Ebola. At least, as of now.
We agree. We're MUCH more likely to have a fatal car accident in our 20-minute drive to the airport. ;)

We agree. We're MUCH more likely to have a fatal car accident in our 20-minute drive to the airport. ;)

Indeed. And also more victims of influenza each year then Ebola.

Indeed. And also more victims of influenza each year then Ebola.
Exactly. Particularly since influenza can be transmitted airborne, it is more contagious.

If we didn't already have plans, we'd have taken an African cruise this fall. There were some GREAT deals out there due to the knee jerk paranoia. I know we're not planning on coming into contact with body fluids from any strangers - no matter where we cruise.

Our International cruise plans stand. No US or Caribbean cruises on our horizon.

As much as the news is making of this, there are many other ways to meet one's demise while on vacation. Take influenza, malaria or traffic accidents as examples.

Sometimes one is better off not watching/reading the news.

igraf

The surprise was when DW said, I prefer to not travel until we learn more about the Ebola situation.

Exactly. Particularly since influenza can be transmitted airborne, it is more contagious.

If we didn't already have plans, we'd have taken an African cruise this fall. There were some GREAT deals out there due to the knee jerk paranoia. I know we're not planning on coming into contact with body fluids from any strangers - no matter where we cruise.

Our International cruise plans stand. No US or Caribbean cruises on our horizon.

I think of the risk as extremely low, however, public bathrooms would best be avoided IMO

What is one to do if they need a restroom while on an airplane? No choice but to use it. I think that is the most likely place of risk.

I was so surprised last night when I suggested we buy airline tickets to FLL for a holiday cruise and not book the ship till the last minute looking for a deal. If the ships were full, that would be fine and we would enjoy Florida sunshine!

The truth is nobody really knows what is going to happen. Not the CDC not anyone. The book is being written daily.

That said as a retired medical professional, I am sticking to USA travel and avoiding mass gathering Las Vegas, NY, Houston, Chicago.

As far as Africa and the Mid East, There are places I would love to have gone. However I am not gong to risk it.. Africa is a time bomb you have disease coupled with civil war and top it off with terrorism.

Then there is the ISIS thing where they are headed to Turkey with Turkish cooperation, and want to take Istanbul and Jordan in the months ahead... The problem is they have the cooperation and resourced to do it.. and nothing has surfaced to stop that.

The world is changing exponentially and its fine to be an optimist.... but to a point. In truth at this point in either theater, there is no basis for being one.

I am going t sit this one out for the next 24 months and see what happens..

I plan to go on three cruises over the next 18 months and I'm not changing my plans for any of them.

I do a risk/rewards assessment. At this point I feel my risk of getting Ebola on a cruise ship is very low and my need to enjoy myself at this point in my life is very high.

Yes, I would.

I'm not all together crazy about the demonstrations in Hong Kong lately.

Well, the Hong Kong situation is something different. However, many Carnival-family ships are sailing out of Singapore, including the Volendam.

You are a well respected poster on this forum. Are you suggesting that passengers sailing out of Singapore should cancel????

Actually, ebola is very contagious if someone who has ebola sneezes near you.

And if it mutates, it will be incredibly dangerous.

We are traveling soon but are more concerned with Isis right now.

No, you can't catch ebola if someone sneezes near you.

According to http://www.webmd.com/news/20140806/ebola-virus-how-contagious

What's more, Ebola is much less contagious than many other more common diseases. The virus, much like HIV or hepatitis, is spread through blood or bodily fluids and is not airborne.

RJ2002

Well, the Hong Kong situation is something different. However, many Carnival-family ships are sailing out of Singapore, including the Volendam.

You are a well respected poster on this forum. Are you suggesting that passengers sailing out of Singapore should cancel????

Please do not put words in my mouth.

You asked a question and I answered it as applies to me. I wouldn't begin

to suggest what anyone else should do. We all have individual circumstances,

priorities, risk comfort levels and so many other variables.

I have never had any desire to visit Singapore.

Each capable adult person can make their own decision.

Edited by sail7seas

No. No change of plans. Cruising to the Caribbean in 3 weeks and have plans for Panama Canal next year. There's a whole lot of things that are more likely to "get" me than Ebola.

Bear in mind that it's not contagious unless the infected person is actually sick. Someone showing no symptoms is not contagious.

Last I heard, 2 children have died from the Enterovirus in the U.S. and a couple more that may have been related to having the virus, some paralyzed, and cases in many states across the country and yet there has been no major hoopla about that. Why is that?

No, you can't catch ebola if someone sneezes near you.

According to http://www.webmd.com/news/20140806/ebola-virus-how-contagious

I generally don't consult wedmd but I am aware that there are bodily fluids expelled during sneezing. I do not think anyone is an expert on ebola, at this point, and it is clear that the information is far from clear from the experts.

It is, nonetheless, a very scary disease.

I think a lot of people here need to reorganize their priorities.

Seems to me that people are more worried about the kind of sauce they put on their hamburgers at the Dive In or someone smoking on the adjoining balcony than they are about the possibility of a world-wide epidemic. :rolleyes:

Nope!