Passport Expiry Worries

kmorg1234

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Still will not renew his passport, but he called Princess again and they did accept his info- online, says his boarding pass is actually ready to print. Maybe the TA interfered on his behalf, as I did contact them? At any rate, I am a tad more optimistic, but......

Am still insisting on the notarized letter so that C can travel with me as he beyond excited about this trip (as am I!).

Thanks again for all of the info and advice. Will def let you know about the final outcome. Could be interesting for many others in similar situations. (But yes, I'm still keeping my fingers crossed and biting my fingernails- just saying).

I feel so sorry for you kmorg1234. Just go ahead, get the permission to take your son and IMO forget about taking SO with you. If he gets through be prepared for the "I told you so's", but don't bank on it. And yes, keep us all posted on this!

I'm so sorry for you........and yes, you're right. It is a control issue with him.

I don't see how you can send in a passport renewal request for him without his knowledge. Doesn't he need to sign the application? I don't see any way to secretly get his passport renewed for him.

I hope he will sign the letter so that you can travel w/ your son. Very best wishes to you, and please keep us posted. - EBC

Regardless of what somebody has told the person on the phone, the passport will be checked at the pier and when the passport is scanned by the check-in person if it is expired it will indicate that (actually, the scanner will inform the check-in person if the passport expires within 180 or 190 days from the check-in day's date (don't know why it checks for both 180 days and 190 days, but it does.) If it is expired that will be noted and someone at that location will have to make a determination as to the validity of the documentation.

Tom

I do feel bad for the OP who started the thread because sounds like this struggle has become a struggle of wills.

If one thing is certain, the right hand doesn't usually know what the left hand is doing at Princess. Regardless of what emails or letters your SO brings, if the passport isn't valid for at least 6 mos after the cruise - there will be problems. The counter reps that check you in do not work for Princess - they work for another company that checks in passengers for every cruise line. They can not go off script. My friend lives in Ireland, has an Irish passport, and was almost denied boarding in Ft. Lauderdale because of an issue with her ESTA. The ESTA paperwork was fine but because the rep wasn't familiar with it, she initially told my friend she couldn't board. It took over an hour to get someone who knew what was going on to ok the ESTA and let my friend board. Don't expect these reps in Southampton to be able to verify anything with Princess in CA because of the time difference. Boarding very well may be denied.

Regardless of what emails or letters your SO brings, if the passport isn't valid for at least 6 mos after the cruise - there will be problems.

This is one of those cases where false information is put out by a well-meaning person. What is stated above is not necessarily true. One example of this is where a person is traveling on a US passport or a Canadian passport on a cruise to Alaska or a cruise that goes out of New York and calls at a port in Canada. When in doubt, check with the foreign country that is visited during the cruise as they are the ones that set the rules for such rules.

Tom

This is one of those cases where false information is put out by a well-meaning person. What is stated above is not necessarily true. One example of this is where a person is traveling on a US passport or a Canadian passport on a cruise to Alaska or a cruise that goes out of New York and calls at a port in Canada. When in doubt, check with the foreign country that is visited during the cruise as they are the ones that set the rules for such rules.

Tom

It really isn't up to the country but it's up to the clerks who check you in at embarkation who follow the direction of the cruise line to the enth degree. They do not have the authority to make exceptions. The situation you describe is a totally different and unique situation between the US and Canada. The context of this thread is a British Isles cruise, not crossing into Canada.

It really isn't up to the country but it's up to the clerks who check you in at embarkation who follow the direction of the cruise line to the enth degree. They do not have the authority to make exceptions. The situation you describe is a totally different and unique situation between the US and Canada. The context of this thread is a British Isles cruise, not crossing into Canada.

That may have been the context in which you meant it but I took it as being a general statement of fact, so I guess we can agree to disagree on that minor point. The people doing the checking-in do have to make determinations as to whether the letter of the law or the spirit of the law is covered by the situation being judged. While that judgement is almost surely not being being made by, say, a new person on the job, it will probably be done by someone who has been judged to have experience in that area and found to have good judgement. While they may not make "exceptions" to the law, they may certainly be called upon to make "judgements" as to whether the law is being fulfilled or not. That's the same way courts work, lawyers argue points and judges make judgements.

Take care!

Tom

• 2 weeks later...
He will be left behind! So you need to decide if you want to take a "chance" that the verbal given will work. I know I wouldnt, just send his passport out for renewal.

That's all been covered. The poster's cruise started today. I was just hoping that she might come back and let us know how it went.

Sorry for not updating yesterday, guys, but I discovered that Princess's internet is slower than molasses. In Brugge today on my data plan. So it turns out that he secretly did renew the passport after the last trip, leaving a copy of the face page on the table in the midst of the rest of ours. Glad he got it done, but he could have just told me! Even funnier was upon reaching customs in Heathrow, said passport was again missing.... He had left it on the plane. Fortunately the really nice flight crew had found it and came looking for us. Harrowing 45 minutes, but all ended well.

Thanks again for all the advice and supportive comments- love this community. Happy cruising, everyone!

Sorry for not updating yesterday, guys, but I discovered that Princess's internet is slower than molasses. In Brugge today on my data plan. So it turns out that he secretly did renew the passport after the last trip, leaving a copy of the face page on the table in the midst of the rest of ours. Glad he got it done, but he could have just told me! Even funnier was upon reaching customs in Heathrow, said passport was again missing.... He had left it on the plane. Fortunately the really nice flight crew had found it and came looking for us. Harrowing 45 minutes, but all ended well.

Thanks again for all the advice and supportive comments- love this community. Happy cruising, everyone!

That's hilarious. Although, if I was the wife, I don't think I would be laughing. :)

kmorg seems like a really nice, kindly person, who just wants to family to cruise together and to have a fun and relaxing vacation. She has not done anything to have to put up with the stress and worry about a passport expiration. I wish her the very best, and I do hope she enjoys the cruise and has a great holiday. :) EBC

Thanks for letting us know. Have a great time.