Cinque Terre and Pisa?

Mademoiselle22

Hey lovely ppls :D

I was hoping if you could weigh and share your past experiences. Our cruise ship will be in Livorno from 8am to 7pm and I'm thinking about doing either a full day Cinque Terre tour or a Cinque Terre + Pisa tour? With either option I'll go with the same tour company and the prices are the same. Maximum 8ppl per tour.

Here are the itineraries:

Visit Riomaggiore, Manarola, Vernazza, and Corniglia.

Can't go to Via dell’Amore which remains closed due to a landslide,

Leaning Tower en route back to Livorno port.

(The Tower is apparently 24km from the Port of Livorno. The Pisa stop is just a quick photo-op stop which we will do only if we have time).

Driver is with you for the whole time, you might pay for the ferry, but generally you don't buy the Cinque Terre Pass

OR

Monterosso, Vernazza, Corniglia, Manarola, and Riomaggiore

Possible Portovenere (will try to get the tour company to include this)

Off on your own, driver leaves you and you get the Cinque Terre Pass

Do you think we will be too rushed if we try to see Pisa too? I consider including this option in because it does seem to be on the way back to Livorno. Please let me know if I'm making a mistake with this assumption or am missing something pretty big.

I'm going to be staying in Florence for a few days pre-cruise. I don't have a big need to see the tower or anything (saw it last time). But if we don't go with this tour, I will probably make the trip by train or bus from Florence if my mom wants to see the tower (it's going to be her first time in Tuscany). I'm just considering this since it seems like it's literally on the way back to Livorno.

Will we be missing out a lot if we don't see Monterosso and Portovenere?

Also do people generally have a better experience if they have the driver with them?

If you're willing to do DIY, I recommend taking the train to La Spezia then pick up one of the boat trips to Cinque Terra. The boat gives you such a unique perspective on the villages and it's hoho so you can explore any of the villages if you choose. We spent several days in Cinque Terra and the boat ride was my favorite way to view the villages.

http://www.navigazionegolfodeipoeti.it/

Then take the train back to Livorno, with a stop at Pisa ... to save time grab a taxi from the station to the leaning tower.

Will you be rushed? Sure, since you are considering itineraries with many places. But we have done our own driving trips from Livorno to Cinque Terre (parked at Riomaggiore) and crammed in a quick stop at Pisa (we had another couple with us who had never seen the Leaning Tower) and it worked fine. It is just a matter of personal priorities.

As to using the train between Livorno and Riomaggiore.....we have often recommended NOT DOING this itinerary! The train schedules are not optimum and one will waste an awful lot of time just adapting their schedule to fit the trains. And one needs to consider that getting from the port (Livorno) to the train station can cost about 25 Euros (each way) for taxis.

An alternative for those not wanting to take an excursion is to simply rent a car at the Port (the local Hertz franchisor will provide cars at the pier). If two couples share a car the cost drops to about 30 Euros per person for transportation and the drive from the port to Riomaggiore (where there is parking) is about 1:20. However, anyone driving a car into Pisa needs to be cognizant of the ZTL (limited driving zone) area near the Tower as you will get a nasty fine if you penetrate the ZTL with a rental car.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Thanks for your suggestions

I'm looking at 75 euro per person (maybe less with a multi tour discount). I'm pretty scared of using the trains from Livorno to La Spezia and get to and back to the port of Livorno/relying on public transportation to make it back to the cruise on time.

I think renting a car is the way to go, but unfortunately there's no one in our group who'd be comfortable driving in Europe.

I'm looking at 75 euro per person (maybe less with a multi tour discount). I'm pretty scared of using the trains from Livorno to La Spezia and get to and back to the port of Livorno/relying on public transportation to make it back to the cruise on time.

I think renting a car is the way to go, but unfortunately there's no one in our group who'd be comfortable driving in Europe.

Suggest you arrange a Private-Hire Taxi for a return journey from the dockside direct to Riomaggiore. Arrange your pick-up time to suit your schedule. (allow 90 mins. for the journey Livorno to Riomaggiore )

Don't bother with Portovenere, your day is too short. When you arrive at Riomaggiore immediately take the ferry direct to Monterosso (8euro/pp) then travel back between the villages by the local trains (total of 4/5 euros/pp)

You will find that the private hire taxi will be significantly cheaper than if you go to a tour company. The average rate for a RETURN journey will be 410- 450 euros for an 8 seat Luxury Van depending on which company you approach.

Also suggest you check out http://www.cruisetimetables.com to see if any cruise ships are in La Spezia the same day, as that is when you will find the Cinque Terre to be buzzing............. Also have a back-up plan if the seas are rough as the Ferries between the villages stop operating.

Edited by mickey89

Suggest you arrange a Private-Hire Taxi for a return journey from the dockside direct to Riomaggiore. Arrange your pick-up time to suit your schedule. (allow 90 mins. for the journey Livorno to Riomaggiore )

Don't bother with Portovenere, your day is too short. When you arrive at Riomaggiore immediately take the ferry direct to Monterosso (8euro/pp) then travel back between the villages by the local trains (total of 4/5 euros/pp)

You will find that the private hire taxi will be significantly cheaper than if you go to a tour company. The average rate for a RETURN journey will be 410- 450 euros for an 8 seat Luxury Van depending on which company you approach.

Also suggest you check out http://www.cruisetimetables.com to see if any cruise ships are in La Spezia the same day, as that is when you will find the Cinque Terre to be buzzing............. Also have a back-up plan if the seas are rough as the Ferries between the villages stop operating.

Thank you so much for your suggestions :) I might end up using them^^

Also have a back-up plan if the seas are rough as the Ferries between the villages stop operating.

The backup plan is to take the train between the villages back to Riomaggiore and your car. We were in Cinqueterre about three years ago on a land trip. One of the days we were there, the ferry stopped running because of high seas and the trains were on a one day strike. In Italy strikes are scheduled at least three months ahead of time. Read my post below to find out if there is one scheduled for your port day.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2059722&highlight=sciopero

In any event, your driver should be able to pick you up wherever you are, but it could get complicated.

Edited by marazul

If the seas are rough, the weather is also likely to be poor.

Not at all, the boats stopped running due to waves caused by very high winds. There was a clear, blue sky. This is typical of the "maestrale" winds (mistral in France) in the area. It was beautiful in the towns and inland.

I would not avoid traveling to Cinqueterre for fear that the ferry might not run. Just make sure the trains are running that day. And that you have your driver's mobile number!

Personally, I would pass on Pisa. You will really enjoy Cinque Terra.

I totally agree too. Pisa is just a massive tourist grab, but Cinque Terra is such an unique area and fun. Be ready for steep terrain but worth the walks down and up again. If you have walking sticks, take them for this, it sure helps! Have Fun!

You don't have to spend much time or money at Pisa. You can go to see it take a few quick pictures and head back to the ship. If seeing "the leaning Tower" is something you ️have always wanted to do then do it.

True. There are times when the "Chevy Chase" (*) stops are appropriate. If all you want to do is take a selfie at the Tower, it's totally doable within 20 minutes.

* Remember the Griswalds at the Grand Canyon in National Lampoon's Vacation ;)

True. There are times when the "Chevy Chase" (*) stops are appropriate. If all you want to do is take a selfie at the Tower, it's totally doable within 20 minutes.

* Remember the Griswalds at the Grand Canyon in National Lampoon's Vacation ;)

Isn't that why you're supposed to go???? lol We went on the way to Florence

Isn't that why you're supposed to go???? lol We went on the way to Florence

My 2 friends and I were staying at an agriturismo just outside of Pisa, in Terme San Giuliano. We would go into the outskirts of town to do laundry and grocery shopping, but never went into the tourist area until our last day. It was one of those "we're here, I guess we should go see it" kind of things

If you still want to go with a private tour company and include Portovenere, you might check this one out: http://www.papillonservice.com/tours_cinqueterre.php. We used them several years ago and were very happy with our day. We enjoyed Portovenere. They're still showing the Via dell'Amore walk but it sounds like that's not doable at this time. And we did make a stop at Pisa to get some pictures but you can probably make it as short or as long as you want.

• 1 month later...

Can you recommend any private car hire for Livorno Port to Cinque Terre/Pisa for the day, docked 7am-7pm.

• 2 weeks later...

Mademoiselle22, we'll also be doing these ports May 2016 and I'm looking for someone who can offer tours for the Italian ports, can you please give me the contact of your tour operator? Thanks!

I'm also a little wary of taking the train from Livorno to visit CT, my mom will be with us and she might find a small group tour easier to handle.

Thanks again and enjoy your cruise:)

• 1 month later...

Do you know how I could go about getting a private-hire taxi? We are sailing into La Spezia and just want someone to drive us to Pisa for photos quickly then drop us back off at Cinque Terre.

Do you know how I could go about getting a private-hire taxi? We are sailing into La Spezia and just want someone to drive us to Pisa for photos quickly then drop us back off at Cinque Terre.

I think we should discuss some geography. If you want a taxi from La Spezia to Pisa and then back to Riomaggiore (the closest Cinque Terre village) you are talking about 100 miles of driving plus the waiting time in Pisa. This will cost you hundreds of Euros. That is a lot of money for a quick photo stop :). There will be some taxis waiting in La Spezia (first come first serve) and they would love this kind of fare :). You could also book a private car/driver online but that will also cost you hundreds of Euros. Personally, having been to Pisa we do not think its worth hundreds of Euros.

Hank

I think we should discuss some geography. If you want a taxi from La Spezia to Pisa and then back to Riomaggiore (the closest Cinque Terre village) you are talking about 100 miles of driving plus the waiting time in Pisa. This will cost you hundreds of Euros. That is a lot of money for a quick photo stop :). There will be some taxis waiting in La Spezia (first come first serve) and they would love this kind of fare :). You could also book a private car/driver online but that will also cost you hundreds of Euros. Personally, having been to Pisa we do not think its worth hundreds of Euros.

Hank

If it were just me, that would be too much. However there are 5, so we are coming out of pocket regardless and I really don't want to be at the mercy of the train schedules. I'd be fine with just CT, but the kiddos want to see the tower. If the kiddos aren't happy, no one will be happy. So it might just be worth hundreds of Euros. ;)