What is going on at RCCL?

First, the Empress transfer was a debacle, now, reports are the Harmony is a total mess!!! They have changed their minds on the Majesty a few times. ANy thoughts on what is going on?

First, the Empress transfer was a debacle, now, reports are the Harmony is a total mess!!! They have changed their minds on the Majesty a few times. ANy thoughts on what is going on?

There are always a million kinks and hiccups that need to be worked out with the new ships or old ships with new routes. It will be fine.

This happens every time a new ships sets sail.

Jonathan

There are always a million kinks and hiccups that need to be worked out with the new ships or old ships with new routes. It will be fine.

This happens every time a new ships sets sail.

Jonathan

I was on the maiden crossing of the NCL Escape from Southampton to Miami last fall. We were the third set of passengers onboard following two short preview cruises. There were a few IT issues, some minor tweaks to various systems, etc. The free fall water slides were inop for the crossing, but there was nowhere near the amount of work incomplete as on the Harmony. Food and beverage service ran smoothly. Except for the slides you would have thought the ship had been in service for several months

RCCL rushed Harmony into service. End of. Other lines have done the same. Revenue trumps readiness

Edited by AtlantaCruiser72

Just off harmony. Had a fabulous time. Aqua theatre show still not on. Showed match on big screens though last night. Few workers about but nothing to worry u. All in all. Had fabulous time no hiccups. So anyone boarding today don't worry

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Yep we had a fantastic time on Harmony - yes there are a few bits that are being finished off but the vast majority is in full working order. The Grease show is very good , I liked the Solaruim area , Central Park is an amazing space , yes the Bars do get busy at night but the staff are working so hard , the silent disco is a must as well - wish I was going to Barcelona today

Try reading some more reviews before labeling the whole ship as "a total mess".

Frankly, I just think that RCCL is launching/relaunching too many ships in too short a period of time. I understand the whole idea of supply/demand and the need for market share but I think in this case "slow and steady does the trick" should have been employed. Just my Opinion.

Try reading some more reviews before labeling the whole ship as "a total mess".

No thanks. I already saw it on two different news outlets and on another cruise website. I saw tweets from guests showing urinals that wouldn't flush. That right there qualifies for "total mess" in my book. Thats publicity that normally goes along with Carnival. But yeah, keep that condescending flow.

Harmony is NOT a total mess, those of us on the actual ship as she sets sail for the cruise to Barcelona know the ship is fully operational and the ongoing maintainance is no more than would be found on any other ship at any time.

The problem with comparing Empress and Harmony issues is that you want to have your cake and eat it too. Empress was a "debacle" because when they started the Reno they found that it needed more work then anticipated. So they kept the ship in Dry Dock and completed the work. Disappointing? Yes including myself that was booked for second week of May on her.

Harmony on the other hand is being reported that it isn't ready. Now was that the fault of RCI or the Shipyard, I don't know, but either way lets also remember the complaints are about a pre-inaugural sailing. Work being done on the ship while it's "in service" is nothing new. From general cleaning to regular preventive maintenance, someone is always fixing or painting or replacing something.

You are right, so I called RCI. They said stop reading post on cc from people that are not on the ship:rolleyes:

I think that RCI and STX wanted to impress the public with the "early delivery" of the Harmony of the Seas, based on their experience with Oasis and Allure, but their calculations were inaccurate. They didn't take into account that french workforce has a slower pace than Finland... The same happened with Airbus and the A380.

Edited by Pipo

I think that RCI and STX wanted to impress the public with the "early delivery" of the Harmony of the Seas, based on their experience with Oasis and Allure, but their calculations were inaccurate. They didn't take into account that french workforce has a slower pace than Finland... The same happened with Airbus and the A380.

I think you may be onto something. Its always nice to have something rolled out early. Its impressive and surprising, especially something of this size and status.

I feel like Royal put itself in a "no win" situation by allowing people to sail on this ship while construction was going on. Cruise lines do construction on ships all the time while in operation, however, its usually small scale. I was on a cruise once where the pool was being redone. This wasn't a huge deal. The ship had two pools. From the pictures I have seen and posts from twitter and other cruise blogs, this construction is more major and disturbing. After the Empress being delayed for over a month, it raised my eyebrow.

Since I know this answer will suggest starting a thread where you have actually been on the ship first.......:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Of course there are good and bad reviews. Just like there are good and bad pizzas. The problem is, google search "Harmony of the Seas" and click on news and the headlines aren't good. (Its normal for news cites to glorify problems that happen on board for a case of headlines that are clickable, but thats a different topic) "obviously gathering info from a bunch of twitter posts?" Do you even know what you are talking about? Go ahead and click on this link, that will get you started, then maybe do some further reading. Really kind of shocking that Royal would do this, especially after the Empress and all the problems with that ship.

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/district/southampton/14523767.Passengers_demand_apology_and_compensation_after_Harmony__PR_disaster_/

I had not read that particular news story, but the majority that I've read over the past week days have been a compilation of pictures that passengers posted on Twitter. The only serious issue that I saw was the missing glass. When you think of the whole ship, some of the issues are such small isolated incidents. I'm not on the ship (but neither are you!), but you can't deny that there have been several positive reports here on CC, and you can't claim that they're all blind loyals. All I'm saying is look at the whole picture, and accept the fact that others may disagree with your "assessments".

I have to put my two cents in- just off the harmony and what I experienced what not even close to a disaster! I cruised on a brand new ship with a few minor areas still being worked on ( like Starbucks). I saw maintenance people working on areas in pairs of twos- NOTHING that I don't see on every ship to maintain the ship. I am flabbergasted that anyone would use the word disaster !!

I agree the Empress issue was a mess, but the other things kinda seem like non-issues. The Harmony thing sounds typical of a mega-ship inaugural, and a reason I learned long ago never to book a brand new ship until she's broken in a bit.

I have to put my two cents in- just off the harmony and what I experienced what not even close to a disaster! I cruised on a brand new ship with a few minor areas still being worked on ( like Starbucks). I saw maintenance people working on areas in pairs of twos- NOTHING that I don't see on every ship to maintain the ship. I am flabbergasted that anyone would use the word disaster !!

Well, I'm certainly glad that they weren't in pairs of three! :)

Just had a look at the cruise critic member reviews page. Harmony has a 0% rating from 10 reviews so far. :eek:

Yes everything went swimmingly for the first couple of sailings.:D

Has RCCL changed it standards in releasing ships prior to our expected standards? I was on Liberty when she was brand new and I honestly do not remember any ongoing construction. I do feel that RCCL has been cost cutting in recent years and is this just another one? Get people on this ship before it's done and we make a lot of money while we are still working on it. :)

Has RCCL changed it standards in releasing ships prior to our expected standards? I was on Liberty when she was brand new and I honestly do not remember any ongoing construction. I do feel that RCCL has been cost cutting in recent years and is this just another one? Get people on this ship before it's done and we make a lot of money while we are still working on it. :)

I don't think they want this stuff to happen, but if its not finished, they're most definitely NOT going to cancel the first cruise for a brand new ship.

For a counterpoint, Ovation was pretty much completed at the time of her first sailing.