Elite Wine Tasting

bexdisney

My mom is going to become an Elite passenger on her next cruise, however she is the only one in our party that is up to this level in cruising. She probably won't want to go to the wine tasting alone. I don't drink, so I was wondering would they let me in the wine tasting room just so I can keep her company?

I don't think they're set up for "observers". They would probably charge you.

We went once, right after we got to Elite. The crackers and grapes were good.

I'm not a wine connoisseur (don't really drink it at all), but wine drinkers tell me, "you just have to drink a really good wine". Guess the ones they serve at the wine tastings aren't the "really good" ones.

I think JF is correct. I have been to the wine tasting lots of time, yes, it fills in a couple of hours, but it does not cost much for you to join her. I would goes at least once, it is fun to see everyone sipping and acting like they really know a good wine, I don't know a good wine from a Costco $4.00 bottle of wine but the crackers and grapes are really good and it can be a fun time if you get the right tablemates. Normally you get a free shot glass at the end, I have a collection of them now, so I guess I have been a lot.

Well the wine is a little better than the $2.00 Chuck (Charles Shaw) that Trader Joe's used to sell. Now for $2.99. However it is not off the upper end of their wine list and would not please a real wine lover. We went once after becoming Elite but not my best use of time. Also the matter de over talks the whole affair.

I think JF is correct. I have been to the wine tasting lots of time, yes, it fills in a couple of hours, but it does not cost much for you to join her. I would goes at least once, it is fun to see everyone sipping and acting like they really know a good wine, I don't know a good wine from a Costco $4.00 bottle of wine but the crackers and grapes are really good and it can be a fun time if you get the right tablemates. Normally you get a free shot glass at the end, I have a collection of them now, so I guess I have been a lot.

No more shot glasses, only reason I went. Loved the other guests swirling their wine around the glass and commenting on the "legs". I'm not a wine drinker and the wines I tasted at these gatherings gave not persuaded me to become one. As a guest you pay I think around $10.

My mom is going to become an Elite passenger on her next cruise, however she is the only one in our party that is up to this level in cruising. She probably won't want to go to the wine tasting alone. I don't drink, so I was wondering would they let me in the wine tasting room just so I can keep her company?

No they will most likely charge you.

Wow, no more shot glasses, guess I should be happy with what we have. We are going on the Grand in 5 days, so I guess I can go and see if I want to, but actually I have not gone on the last 4 or 5 cruises, so I guess that is why I did not know about the shot glasses. Really does depend on the table mates, I have been at one or two good tables, but some of the folks are just way to serious about this stuff and take the fun out of the event. Live, laugh and be Happy....

They sit you at larger tables so the OP's mother will have company. I have noticed that they scan in your cruise card to make sure you are elite or they charge you so no "observers". The wine is good and certainly not 3 buck chuck but of course they don't pour the top of the line either. The price is reasonable for what they are pouring. We love wine so the time is worth it to us particularly considering what we paid to be there. If you are not a wine lover, then this is not the place for you.

I don't know about the Elite wine tasting, but I went to the $25 wine tasting on the Ruby this week. At my table, there was a couple with us. The wife had paid to do the tasting and her husband came along to hang out. I think someone may have said something at the door, but they just said he was coming in and not tasting and it was fine. He was funny, so we enjoyed having him at our table.

Won't your picture come up when they scan your card? :o :o

Tony

In all the times we've gone there they've never scanned my card to check the photo.

We gave up on the wine tasting when the glasses disappeared so maybe they're now scanning cards.

Who knows?

Yes this was the first time our card has been scanned after handing them the invitation. May be something new or maybe just a one off.

AE_Collector

May be new procedure. Not experienced the card being scanned.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

May be new procedure. Not experienced the card being scanned.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

In February, on the Grand, there was no scan. Elites were directed to one line and the invitation was collected with a brief glance at the card. It was very well attended.

For the folks who are expecting a fine wine experience, you will likely be disappointed. For those wine drinkers, like me, who enjoy a glass of good table wine with a meal, you may find one of the selections to your liking.

I'll bet that will change with the Medallions.

One would think so and hope so. I look forward to be able to show up, be welcomed and be seated without having to show an invitation or give a reservation time, cabin number or name. Who knows, maybe technology will ferret out those rascals sneaking booze on board.

On the last cruise DH didn't want to go so I went by myself to the Elite wine tasting. It's nothing to write home about that's for sure. The waiter just rambled on about nothing much, just talking to hear himself talk. If I want crackers and grapes, I can go to Lido for that. We won't attend on our next cruise in a couple of weeks. If you were on our cruise, I'd give you our tickets to get in. We were served a couple cubes of cheese which was good. Nothing fancy, I would never purchase the wine tasting.

On the last cruise DH didn't want to go so I went by myself to the Elite wine tasting. It's nothing to write home about that's for sure. The waiter just rambled on about nothing much, just talking to hear himself talk. If I want crackers and grapes, I can go to Lido for that. We won't attend on our next cruise in a couple of weeks. If you were on our cruise, I'd give you our tickets to get in. We were served a couple cubes of cheese which was good. Nothing fancy, I would never purchase the wine tasting.

I imagine that it's much less crowded since they stopped giving out the souvenir glasses.

• 2 months later...