Coffee card question

xavier

if I purchase a coffee card can I get a specialty drink like an americano and can I get a normal but fresh brewed coffee for my husband at the same time?

I only drink americanos and he only drinks normal.

Thanks

if I purchase a coffee card can I get a specialty drink like an americano and can I get a normal but fresh brewed coffee for my husband at the same time?

Thanks

I'm pretty sure you can. My wife and I took her parents on a CA coastal cruise a few years back. We bought 1 coffee card between us (my Scottish frugalness kicking in) and we'd order 3 specialty coffees and a fresh brewed tea, or a hot chocolate for me as I don't like coffee and they would only punch the card 3 times, so we got 5 days worth of specialty coffee and fresh brewed tea out of one coffee card.

Most likely but it may depend on the person working at IC. The coffee card is supposed to be for the benefit of the card holder - not the benefit of the card holder's spouse, friend, child, etc. You should have your husband get the card. That way he can have all the fresh-brewed coffee he likes and you can use his punches for foo foo coffee. Sharing punches is perfectly legitimate.

The coffee card is supposed to be for the benefit of the card holder - not the benefit of the card holder's spouse, friend, child, etc. ...Sharing punches is perfectly legitimate.

Just to be crystal clear, the "fresh brewed coffee" aspect of the coffee card is supposed to be for the benefit of the card holder. The "punches" aspect of the card is fully transferable. The final sentence in the post makes this point, but the earlier sentence could be read as suggesting that none of the card's benefits are transferable.

Most likely but it may depend on the person working at IC. The coffee card is supposed to be for the benefit of the card holder - not the benefit of the card holder's spouse, friend, child, etc. You should have your husband get the card. That way he can have all the fresh-brewed coffee he likes and you can use his punches for foo foo coffee. Sharing punches is perfectly legitimate.

No worries. I belIeve we will get 2 by trading in our mini bar so I will have him take both cards with when he goes to fetch the coffee.

Edited by xavier
Typo

No worries. I belIeve we will get 2 by trading in our mini bar so I will have him take both cards with when he goes to fetch the coffee.

Suggest you write your name on the card in case you accidentally leaves it at a IC table. Happened to us before and was returned by waitstaff when we came back.

The IC staff have been known to write down the sailing # & ship's name on the coffee card which would limit the "unlimited" fresh brew usage to that voyage. Left over unpunched "spots" can be used on later/other sailings for IC drinks (fresh brewed or specialty drinks).

Just to be crystal clear, the "fresh brewed coffee" aspect of the coffee card is supposed to be for the benefit of the card holder. The "punches" aspect of the card is fully transferable. The final sentence in the post makes this point, but the earlier sentence could be read as suggesting that none of the card's benefits are transferable.

I agree with you because my wife can use her coffee card to get a brewed coffee & can use a card punch to get me or anyone else a specialty coffee drink.

This is one of the best solutions to the I want free brewed coffee and a specialty coffee at the same time for two people. Semantics, but works best. Thanks for the clarity.

Thanks

That's what I do every morning. We have two cards every cruise but only use one at a time & they've never questioned me about a second card.

That's what I do every morning. We have two cards every cruise but only use one at a time & they've never questioned me about a second card.

That has been our experience as well. I keep the second card handy in case there is a question.

We get one card and get two coffees every morning - but then - I leave a tip every day and if we have the same barista he gets another tip at cruise and.I have never seen anyone in front of me ever leave a tip - they have a tip jar

That's because the card has a surcharge for the tip already and most people don't double tip.

That's the way we looked at it. I bought the card and it was charged to my folio, but I was happy with fresh brewed tea and I gave away the foo-foo punches.

Of course, that is all moot now as my wife and I both opt for the AIB package and foo foo coffees and alcoholic coffee/ hot chocolate are included.

That's the way we looked at it. I bought the card and it was charged to my folio, but I was happy with fresh brewed tea and I gave away the foo-foo punches.

Of course, that is all moot now as my wife and I both opt for the AIB package and foo foo coffees and alcoholic coffee/ hot chocolate are included.

I have 3 old coffee cards. One hasn't been punched at all, one has maybe one or two punches left, and the third is maybe half gone. We have the AIBP included on our next two cruises so I'm thinking I'll just take the cards along anyway and buy drinks for some folks on the ship. The cards aren't the new style so it will be quite obvious they weren't purchased on the cruise so no "free" fresh brewed coffee but the punches will still be valid.

Good advice Thrak!! That's the way I would do it. On the Rowboat you can have coffee anyway you want it and all you want. :D :D

The Captain of the Rowboat,

Tony

I cruise single, but I've watched people use a fair number of coffee cards and I've never seen a barista question taking multiple coffees. I think they'd rather err on the side of smiles.

You've got that right. Most of the crew are pretty decent guys when you get to know them and an extra dollar or two doesn't hurt either.

Can you get the ice tea drinks without a punch.

DW usually just has them brew one of the teas she prefers and then has it poured over ice. No charge or punch with card. I have done the same on occasion with coffee.

The iced specialty drinks do require a punch.

Never heard an Americano described as a specialty coffee, it's just a watered down espresso...:cool:

Yep. Toss a shot of espresso into a coffee cup and then add very hot water to fill the cup. Not exactly a specialty drink.

The most resistance we ever got was a barista saying "this is from another ship", so you can only finish out the speciality punches, not fresh brewed. OK by me, still got to use my punches.

If you only want the fresh brewed, can you use the punches for it?