Why no cabin yet?

I booked an outside guarantee weeks ago on an Alaska NCL.. and my category was sold out several days ago.. in fact the 2 outside category above and the first category of balconies are sold out to.

SO why no cabin assignment yet? I don't think they are going to bump me up as high as they have available to sell it is mid ship balconies... I keep checking everyday.. I want to print out my documents.. I will be traveling soon and not have that much internet access.. If the cruise line held back for guarantees they should have assigned them by now.

They have lot of insides and portholes still available but I was promised I would get what i picked or higher. I actually cant understand why outsides are sold out and insides are not.. :(

Edited by squeeky336
spell

Unless the cruise departs later today, there is lots of time to make cabin assignments. There may be any number of reasons why you have not seen an assignment yet. Be patient.

You dont understand

I paid for a OC.. and it is sold out now.. and all outsides are sold out about OC.. OA and O1.. Sold out.. and even BD the lowest balcony is sold out.. I am sure they are not going to put me in a high end balcony that they can sell for double the price .. But i dont want to end up in the bottom of of the ship with just a porthole or maybe even a inside when I paid for an OC ..

I have done many Caribbean cruises.. this is my first Alaska but it seems so odd

Edited by squeeky336
spell

They are showing sold out because they have sold enough selected and gty cabins in that category. They are busy assigning cabins to gty, and offering upsells to other categories...It is a complicated formula, assigning cabins and offering upsells. But you are guaranteed an OV cabin, you will not get anything lower. If, on the rare occasions they oversell your category, and they needed to move someone down to a lower category, they would ASK you first, and offer generous OBC, maybe a percentage off a future cruise in order to move. EM

but that makes no sense.. if they had a "secret" room for me in that category i would think they would have given it to me by now.. i have a gty on celebrity for a cruise the week before and i was assigned that day.. i saved 60 per person by letting them pick the room. They were all on the same deck so i did not care..

i do not want a lower room.. i had a lower room and paid extra for this one.. i do not want another cruise at a later date.. i have paid for airfare and also another cruise the week before this one..

i had a porthole room and i paid for an upgrade.. i want a window.. i know they are not going to give me a balcony that cost twice the price.. it is portholes and insides they cant get ppl to buy.. i can see the availability.. i know they can get ppl to buy the balconies for $1000 more..

Edited by squeeky336

They have lot of insides and portholes still available but I was promised I would get what i picked or higher. I actually cant understand why outsides are sold out and insides are not.. :(

Simply people prefer a window!

When you book a outside guarantee cabin, the deal you are actually getting is a minimum grade guarantee cabin - outside cabin. So this is any outside cabin or other cabin which the cruise line has designated the specific grade mentioned or any higher grade whatsoever.

The cruise line will allocate a specific cabin number to you at any time up to boarding which is sometimes inconveniently late. Put GTY on labels and your mobile phone number clearly. The cruise line will be reluctant to allocate you a cabin number because of the hectic "upselling" operation going on in the background whereby they are trying to move everybody to higher grades for a fee. They will be trying to upgrade people of your grade to better cabins and get the cash depending on the terms of their booking i.e. not the guarantee people. What they do not want to do is put you in a higher grade cabin early on tell you what it is and nearer to sailing day find someone of your grade has upgraded thus vacating a lower grade cabin which they could have put you in.

In short to the cruise line you are a bit of a problem, you have paid a fair price for a low grade cabin but they have only currently got much better cabins to put you in.

Hopefully nobody wants to go for an upsell and you are a winner. Main thing do not worry let the cruise line do that.

Regards John

Edited by john watson

Do try and relax. Essiesmom is right. The fact it's showing sold out is neither here nor there. A guarantee means you will get at least the category you have paid for. The fact that you haven't been allocated a cabin yet doesn't alter that. Occasionally people don't get their cabin assignment until they're actually at the dock. If that should happen to you, the porters will have a list and will know where to take your luggage.

Pretty sure NCL knows how to assign guaranteed cabins, they do it every day. You are worrying needlessly. Its true you may in fact not know your cabin number till you arrive to check in. No big deal.

A guarantee is a gamble. You give up choosing your own cabin in exchange for a lower price and a possible upgrade.

Cruise lines typically wait until the last moment to assign upgrades and the better cabins hoping to sell them to full fare passengers. Guarantees tend to be the cabins that experienced cruisers do not want because of location, noise, or other issues. In any case you are guaranteed to get the grade you paid for, no less.

It's what you signed on for when you paid a guarantee fare. I hope it works out well for you.

They will be making offers to people in those sold out Cat to move up so they can fill the GTY requests

Best thing to do in the future is book a specific cabin no GTY

You may not find out your cabin number until you check in at the dock as others have said

i have never heard of that.. i have booked before and picked the room.. but the cruise lines never called me asking me to take a more expensive room.. i took a gty becsue i was todl to take what i woudl be happy with at a slightly power price and let the cruise line pick the room.. I know i woudl be happy with any room in OC catagory.. I looked at the deck plan..

So you are saying that all the OC are taken and they are trying to get ppl to give that room up to put me in it so they can charge more money to someone else instead of putting me in the better room?

I would think that makes no sense at all either.. I would think ppl have already decided what they are willing to pay.. the next ca is 1000 more.. I would not pay 1000 more.. i would not think anyone else would either .. if this the case why have they just not asked me to pay more?

Cruise ships, like God, work in mysterious ways. It may not make sense to you - but that is the way they do things. I'm not going to tell you to "relax", because I get nervous about the same sort of things - that is why I insist on choosing our cabin from the get go. Relieves a lot of stress.

So you are saying that all the OC are taken and they are trying to get ppl to give that room up to put me in it so they can charge more money to someone else instead of putting me in the better room?

I would think that makes no sense at all either.. I would think ppl have already decided what they are willing to pay.. the next ca is 1000 more.. I would not pay 1000 more.. i would not think anyone else would either .. if this the case why have they just not asked me to pay more?

Yep, that's what folks are saying, the cruise line is trying to do upsells to free up an OV. While you may not pay $1,000 more, there may be someone willing to pay a few hundred more. Often times, an upsell goes for something less at the last minute than the differential on the booking engine.

Why haven't they called you? Pretty much because those of us that book GTY are pretty much bargain hunters gambling on getting lucky.

well i just checked the inventory.. my category and higher is gone.. It is the insides and portholes they cant seem to get ppl to take.. I don't want stuck in that. I paid for a window NOT a porthole.. OF course i would be happy with a balocney..but no i would not be happy with a porthole.

There are only a few lower balconies left.. It is higher end balconies that they have many available.

I will be happy with any balcony on the ship.. I have been in a aft and forward balcony before.. I like the rocking of the ship anyway.. Since the outside windows are all gone, i can't understand why they dont just pick the lowest they got and put me in it.. It makes sense to give me the lowest one they got so they can sell the higher ones for more money..

i just want to print documents and not have any issues later at the port. :eek:

If you booked an outside GTY, you could well get a porthole. If you booked a specific outside category, one that only has windows, you will get at least that category.

Might not be a good idea for you to book GTY in the future.

Yep, that's what folks are saying, the cruise line is trying to do upsells to free up an OV. While you may not pay $1,000 more, there may be someone willing to pay a few hundred more. Often times, an upsell goes for something less at the last minute than the differential on the booking engine.

Why haven't they called you? Pretty much because those of us that book GTY are pretty much bargain hunters gambling on getting lucky.

Ahh i see

well I would pay 100 more.. but not 1000 more and that is what the lowest balcony is going for now. i have called to ask when do i get the room several times.. I told them i really don't want to wait until last minute because i am flying into Vancouver 12 days before and i will be on another ship the week before this cruise.. I wont have internet or a printer that week for luggage tags and documents. but they never asked if I wanted to pay more.

See it is so puzzling because I have booked GTY before.. Sometimes it was assigned even before final payment. always way before 44 days before the cruise. I bought 2 cruises at the same time this time. I am on Celebruty out of Vancouver on June 5.. I did a outside GTY and it was assigned within a few minutes. The category was all on the same deck on the port side, so i did not care.. a window is a window.

It was the same situation on the ncl.. i am taking that one back to Vancouver out of Seward.. (Anchorage) all the cat OC were on the starboard side and a window is window. But they have let OC Oa and o1 get sold out.. and now low end balconies are selling out. That is what makes no sense to me.. Geez at this rate they have to put in me in the Owners Suite if they wait much longer. It is the insides they cant get rid of, but they are already obligated to give me much higher than that.

So it is just so puzzling.. I kind of wonder why they have not done something to get the insides sold out. :confused:

Edited by squeeky336

but that makes no sense.. if they had a "secret" room for me in that category i would think they would have given it to me by now.. i have a gty on celebrity for a cruise the week before and i was assigned that day.. i saved 60 per person by letting them pick the room. They were all on the same deck so i did not care..

i do not want a lower room.. i had a lower room and paid extra for this one.. i do not want another cruise at a later date.. i have paid for airfare and also another cruise the week before this one..

with a GTY you get what you pay for.. no choice in the matter as to when you are assigned a cabin. could be tomorrow, could be next week, could be at the pier.

if that bothers you then do not choose a GTY cabin.

i have never heard of that.. i have booked before and picked the room.. but the cruise lines never called me asking me to take a more expensive room.. lots of people NEVER get the opprtunity to upgrade i took a gty becsue i was todl to take what i woudl be happy with at a slightly power price and let the cruise line pick the room.. I know i woudl be happy with any room in OC catagory.. I looked at the deck plan..

So you are saying that all the OC are taken and they are trying to get ppl to give that room up to put me in it so they can charge more money to someone else instead of putting me in the better room? NO. that is not what is being said. while it is true some people will get a coimplimentary upgrade to a better cabin to make room for anyone who booked a GTY for that category, or that some one might be offered an upsell, that does NOT mean that all cabins in that category are spoken for.

I would think that makes no sense at all either.. I would think ppl have already decided what they are willing to pay.. the next ca is 1000 more.. I would not pay 1000 more.. i would not think anyone else would either .. if this the case why have they just not asked me to pay more? again, not everyone is offered an upsell or even an upgrade. we never have

don't try to analyze things., no one knows how they choose who gets upgraded or offered an upsell or who gets assigned a better cabin than what they paid for with a GTY assignment.