what happens if part of cabin reservation doesn't make the boat?

Kiran

Planning on a Carnival cruise next Monday. me and my husband are booked in one cabin on one booking number. My sister and my daughter in a second cabin.Her husband and her daughter in a third cabin.Their two bookings are linked.

What happens if my sister/her husband/and her daughter don't make the boat? Can my daughter still go in the cabin she is registered for?

It is a 5 hour drive and they (sister's family)are planning to leave 5 hours before last aboard at 3 pm. That is why we are worried.

Why does your sister want to leave so late? Just one small accident will hold them up.

If they miss the boat but your DD checks in on time she should be ok since the cabin is paid for by 2 cruisers. It will be the other family members who are out of luck for missing the ship.

Your daughter will be able to have that cabin but she might have to pay for a solo cabin.

Not sure they would change her rate as they won't likely refund the fare paid by those who missed the boat. All will remain paid in full regardless of who - or how many from the original booking - now occupy the stateroom.

My strong suggestion is that those driving leave far earlier than that. They are cutting it way too close to allow for any delay that very well may affect their drive. The "must board by" time is firm and if they arrive late they will be denied boarding as final passenger manifest information must be prepared and submitted to US customs at that time. And as mentioned, they will likely not be refunded any money either.

Why would anyone cut it that close? Sorry but that is terrible planning and very poor judgement for travel on their part. Get on board as early as you can and enjoy the ship. Too big of a risk otherwise.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

How old is your daughter? Is she old enough (21 or so) to occupy the cabin without an adult?

I hadnt thought of that mum may have to be registered in that cabin if she is underage (whatever age applies where thy are sailing from).

NO...if someone "misses" the boat, it's paid for...no other money's are due! On boarding day, you're past any refunds!!! It won't affect anyone else, money-wise...if no one shows up, the ship still sails!

Edited by cb at sea

Your daughter will be able to have that cabin but she might have to pay for a solo cabin.

No she won't. The cabin is already paid in full. There will be a refund of the port fees and taxes, but no extra charge for the passenger who makes the ship.

Planning on a Carnival cruise next Monday. me and my husband are booked in one cabin on one booking number. My sister and my daughter in a second cabin.Her husband and her daughter in a third cabin.Their two bookings are linked.

What happens if my sister/her husband/and her daughter don't make the boat? Can my daughter still go in the cabin she is registered for?

It is a 5 hour drive and they (sister's family)are planning to leave 5 hours before last aboard at 3 pm. That is why we are worried.

No way that they make the ship. They need to allow an hour after parking to get on board. If they are going to leave that late they might as well not make the drive.

Carnival's rules do not permit a person under 21 to occupy a cabin without someone over 25. You would have to re-arrange occupancy to comply, by your sharing cabin with daughter. Of course, once that arrangement is set, you most probably could let her have that cabin to herself --- assuming you felt comfortable with her maturity. There would be no refunds for anyone missing the ship - whether or not they might be able to catch up with it at the first port.

Of course, the real answer is to tell them to think responsibly and allow enough time toget to the port at least two hours before last boarding time - and that means figuring on traffic delay, flat tire, you name it. If you look at many other threads you will learn that most posters urge getting to the port the day before boarding.

You have good reason to be worried. I agree with the previous poster who said they will probably not make the ship so they should probably just save themselves the drive. Next time they are going to do this they might as well donate their money to a charity and save themselves the heartache.

One more thing to think about, port entry and parking can be very tricky and often not right next to the port. Sometimes you have to drop off luggage, park, and take a shuttle bus or a very long walk to the pier (more likely since they will be all the way in the back). One wrong turn. This can easily add more than enough time to miss the deadline.

You have paid for the first day of the cruise. The first day includes lunch and introductory sessions around the ship, signups for the kids club and a chance to unpack and unwind before sailaway and dinner. Even if they make the ship, they have blown the first day. For what? To save a nights hotel bill? They can't find a less expensive hotel further from the pier. Then they could be within an hour of the port if they leave the night before. There are even hotels that have park and rides which actually save you money.

The question which no one has answered because they do not know your daughters age is if they will let her use the cabin if she is (say 10) and by herself and if the primary person on the cabin does not show up. I do not know the answer to this.

Even if they make the ship, they have blown the first day. For what? To save a nights hotel bill? They can't find a less expensive hotel further from the pier. Then they could be within an hour of the port if they leave the night before. There are even hotels that have park and rides which actually save you money.

The question which no one has answered because they do not know your daughters age is if they will let her use the cabin if she is (say 10) and by herself and if the primary person on the cabin does not show up. I do not know the answer to this.

While going the night before and getting a hotel is a valid point, the OP indicated that they are planning to leave on a 5 hour trip 5 hours before the final board time of 3:00. This means they are planning to leave at 10:00. If they left at 7:00, even that would provide a 3 hour cushion for the drive. It makes no sense that they would wait to leave that late in the day.

If the daughter is a minor, they will not be able to occupy the stateroom alone, which will cause another issue at boarding unless one of the parents stays with her.

My daughter is 14 so unless I moved over to her cabin I don't think she could be listed in room on her own.

I warned my sister that Port of Manhattan was farther than Brooklyn port and she agreed that it was farther. Google Maps shows 3 hr 20 minutes with no traffic compared to the 5 hours I was guestimating.

Sister and her family have always been last minute but haven't missed a cruise yet and they have cruised out of Brooklyn at least 6 times. They just live closer to the edge than my husband and I.

My daughter is 14 so unless I moved over to her cabin I don't think she could be listed in room on her own.

I warned my sister that Port of Manhattan was farther than Brooklyn port and she agreed that it was farther. Google Maps shows 3 hr 20 minutes with no traffic compared to the 5 hours I was guestimating.

Sister and her family have always been last minute but haven't missed a cruise yet and they have cruised out of Brooklyn at least 6 times. They just live closer to the edge than my husband and I.

All I can say is good luck! I think all the responses to your concerns have clearly said it all.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

I wouldn't make any changes to anyone's booking.

As far as who would need to be booked in that cabin with your underage DD...cross that bridge when you have to...onboard.

I have no doubt the staff onboard will work that out for you if need be...when your other family members don't make it onboard in time to sail.

Those who don't show blow their dough, others not impacted in any way.

NO...if someone "misses" the boat, it's paid for...no other money's are due! On boarding day, you're past any refunds!!! It won't affect anyone else, money-wise...if no one shows up, the ship still sails!

This is not always true. I definitely have read on these forums where the person who boarded and was solo in a cabin was forced to pay the solo rate despite the fact their booked cabin mates will not get refunds. The rationale is the loss of on board spending by the 'no shows'. It seems to be hit or miss if they enforce the solo supplement but don't be shocked if that happens....... IF your sister does not get to the ship on time.

I wouldn't make any changes to anyone's booking.

As far as who would need to be booked in that cabin with your underage DD...cross that bridge when you have to...onboard.

I have no doubt the staff onboard will work that out for you if need be...when your other family members don't make it onboard in time to sail.

This could be a real mess. You will not be able to check your daughter in until your sister does or doesn't show up. The real problem as I understand it is that the reservation for the room your daughter is staying in is in their name, not yours. I don't see how you will be able to take over that room when neither of the daughter's parents are on that reservation.

If I understand the rules of room occupancy, your daughter will not be allowed to board if your sister doesn't make it in time since she is a minor and the person responsible for her room reservation misses the ship. The problem is that your daughter is not on your reservation.

I am concerned that your cruise is also at risk.

This could be a real mess. You will not be able to check your daughter in until your sister does or doesn't show up. The real problem as I understand it is that the reservation for the room your daughter is staying in is in their name, not yours. I don't see how you will be able to take over that room when neither of the daughter's parents are on that reservation.

If I understand the rules of room occupancy, your daughter will not be allowed to board if your sister doesn't make it in time since she is a minor and the person responsible for her room reservation misses the ship. The problem is that your daughter is not on your reservation.

I am concerned that your cruise is also at risk.

I would make sure all the bookings are "linked" any reason why this can't be done and any reason why (assuming the parents are paying her onboard account) she can't have her own boarding pass?

even a cat runs out of lives! that's too close of a margin for me to be comfortable. not that we need to know, but why is it they are waiting so late to leave? anything can happen, especially in New York! I would be at the pier arms crossed, tapping my toes waiting for the doors to open. the cruise is expensive enough without the thought of losing your money due to inadequate planning. then on top of that, their inadequate planning has the possibility of threatening your cruise, at the least all of the planning you have done for those in your cabin.

I would suggest having a sit down with your sister to help her come up with a reasonable plan

Interesting that sailing is from Port of Manhattan: it is one thing to be able to drive to Manhattan from Cape Cod (just guessing that they live near you) in five hours - but to get to a particular place in Manhattan, park the car and get to the terminal, etc. is something else.

Any 3 hr 20 minute drive to Manhattan "with no traffic" can easily turn into a five-plus hour drive with traffic: sometimes "traffic" exists in and near Manhattan.

Now you threw a different point in the equation. It is still too close for me, but if Google maps says 3 hrs 20 minutes it is probably about 2 hours 45 minutes. While still troubling it is not as bad as previously thought.

Your daughter is not going to be able to board the ship until they arrive UNLESS the two cabins are close to each other. If they are on CCL she can be in a cabin by herself, if not they have to be there for her to board.