Best sail Away?

tonkie

We are due to sail on the 20th September on the Allure from Barcelona and with only having sailed once before from Venice, was wondering does anything beat Venice?

Barcelona sail away is very nice but not sure if anything beats Venice! My other personal favs are Miami, Cape Liberty, Stockholm, Villefranche, and anywhere in Alaska!

Yep! Venice is the best! NY from Manhatten is pretty stellar. I agree with Malta as well. And if you ever have a chance of sailing from the inside pier in Curacao....that's pretty cool. Only the Vision Class ships can get in there.

Venice is right up there but Stockholm beat it for me. We did Rio earlier this year and I loved that too probably because of all those iconic beaches and rock formations I never really believed I'd ever get to see.

Julie

Kotor is also spectacular. The city wall extends perhaps 1500 feet up the mountain behind the city. On the way out, there is a sharp turn to port at Perast. On one recent trip it was so windy that the ship left Kotor early, so as to make the turn during daylight.

Our first cruise was out of San Diego on Radiance and as we passed North Island(Naval Base) 2 fighter jets took off:D Very exciting! Hard to top but I think sailing into Venice beat it, at least for me(maybe not for my son). I really enjoyed sailing into Naples also. Barcelona wasn't exciting in the sailaway department but knowing how wonderful the cruise you are setting sail on is is PRICELESS:)

Yep! Venice is the best! NY from Manhatten is pretty stellar. I agree with Malta as well. And if you ever have a chance of sailing from the inside pier in Curacao....that's pretty cool. Only the Vision Class ships can get in there.

Kotor is also spectacular. The city wall extends perhaps 1500 feet up the mountain behind the city. On the way out' date=' there is a sharp turn to port at Perast. On one recent trip it was so windy that the ship left Kotor early, so as to make the turn during daylight.[/quote']

Great thoughts by everyone!! Yep... Venice, Kotor & Malta are easily in the top 5 in the world imho with Venice as #1 hands down zero competition! I'm surprised no one mentioned Sydney yet, also in my top 5. Sydney bridge on one side and the Opera House on the other, with the city skyline in the background is right up there :)

Edited by Hoopster95

Not exactly sailaway, but one of the Hawaiian islands has lava running into the sea and the ship sailed by there a few hours after sailaway when it was dark.

Another Hawaiian island (or maybe the same one) where there were so many whales (Xmas cruise) that the tenders had to go around them. You never know what you are going to see.

I agree with going past lower Manhattan. The first time I did it was past the World Trade Center from an upper deck.

Any port where you go under a bridge. That is why Cape Liberty makes my list.

A few of the Norwegian ports. You don't even need to get off the ship.

We are due to sail on the 20th September on the Allure from Barcelona and with only having sailed once before from Venice, was wondering does anything beat Venice?

No, sorry, nothing beats the Venice sail away, in my opinion.

How about some photos, so we can see these ports as you sail away!!!! Unfortunately, I will never get there. :(

Gwen :)

Here's Valletta, Malta (on sail-in):

MedCruise20102237.jpg

And New York (obviously) on sailaway:

JewelCruiseOct2010099.jpg

Sailaway%20Statue%20of%20Liberty%201024x670_zpshkdlqmac.jpg

(photos by turtles06)

I'm now so excited as I'll be seeing Venice and Kotor next year on my European cruise. Malta is absolutely beautiful though.

San Juan sail away is beautiful to me and Nassau is pretty nice with Atlantis disappearing in the background.

Here is another vote for Venice. It was the most amazing sail away experience, so much so that we made sure to wake up early enough to enjoy it again upon our return. Sydney was our second favorite sail away.

But then again, any sail away is a wonderful experience. :)

We are leaving out of tampa on Jan 30. We just found out the their Pirate festival called GASPARILLA is that same day!!:D

There are thousands of boats in the Flotilla - it is an amazing site!!!:D

What a crazy fun day THIS Sail Away party will be!!!

Venice, Sydney, New York, Kotar, and Curacao are all my favorites. I would add Santorini. Malta and Stockholm are still on the bucket list!

Here are some pictures for those that have not been. I must admit they are not all sail away - some are while sailing in to port.

14413446122_9c4065f7eb_z.jpgSydney Harbour from Ship

15444420000_7cc7b3d659_z.jpgSt. Marks Square in Venice

8628826294_251efc4356_z.jpgCuracao

9056520252_318162c8bd_z.jpgFreedom Tower in NYC

15629959925_591d5c6f5e_z.jpgSantorini

Edited by eel