Lost luggage?

toribrite

So I'm flying from US to U.K. For my cruise, and we have two layovers only an hour each. I'm terrified they will lose my luggage. Anyone had that happen or not happen in similar situations?

Trying to figure out how to pack most of what I need in my carry on but also what to pack in my checked bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hoping you are flying in early before the cruise so your bags could catch up with you...

You have the right idea. Pack all essentials in your carry on. You can always buy an extra t shirt but swim suits and underwear may be harder to find. Take good walking shoes and one dressier outfit. Hope for the best and prepare for the worst.

Be sure your bags have names and addresses on them and inside them. Mark them with colorful ribbon or straps or something that would help an agent spot them quickly if they are delayed.

Stop being "terrified"............ of course there are stories of lost and delayed luggage if that's what your looking for.

Odds are the luggage will make it just fine. Obviously put electronics, jewelry, meds etc in carry-on. And some clothing just in case.

Hoping you are flying in early before the cruise so your bags could catch up with you...

You have the right idea. Pack all essentials in your carry on. You can always buy an extra t shirt but swim suits and underwear may be harder to find. Take good walking shoes and one dressier outfit. Hope for the best and prepare for the worst.

Be sure your bags have names and addresses on them and inside them. Mark them with colorful ribbon or straps or something that would help an agent spot them quickly if they are delayed.

Yep, flight gets in at 7am and boarding is not until 1. So if it's late, maybe we can wait. I just don't want to pay extra for laundry for the few outfits I can fit on carry on and stress about it while on vacation.

We always record/pictures of our luggage to make it easier for companies to identify and find if it is lost. We also list and picture the contents of the luggage as we pack it, in case we need to file a claim for lost luggage.

We once spent 6 of 14 nights on a river cruise before one suitcase caught up with us. (the second piece showed up at home 30 days after our return.) Pack half your stuff in DW's suitcase and vise versa.

As already suggested, carry a day's extra clothing in your carry-on, as well as the really important stuff (medicines, ID, important papers, etc.)

Then don't sweat the small stuff. Head off and enjoy your cruise to the fullest!

Pack half your stuff in DW's suitcase and vise versa.

As already suggested, carry a day's extra clothing in your carry-on, as well as the really important stuff (medicines, ID, important papers, etc.)

I can't stress enough to split clothes in someone else's suitcase after losing my bag on our way to Phuket and it was never recovered. At a minimum 1 day's wear and bathing suit but ideally 2-3 days. Even if a suitcase was lost and it never made it to you, you could get by.

Yep, flight gets in at 7am and boarding is not until 1. So if it's late, maybe we can wait. I just don't want to pay extra for laundry for the few outfits I can fit on carry on and stress about it while on vacation.

The last thing I'd worry about is paying for laundry but if it's that big of a concern to you, the glop in the shower makes dandy laundry detergent for washing things out in the sink.

Suggest coming in the day before your cruise. Would never risk arriving at 7:00 a.m. especially on a international flight with two connections. Too close for my comfort level! I would be worried about personally making the connections/flights more than my luggage. Hopefully you have insurance in case you miss the sailing.

Suggest coming in the day before your cruise. Would never risk arriving at 7:00 a.m. especially on a international flight with two connections. Too close for my comfort level! I would be worried about personally making the connections/flights more than my luggage. Hopefully you have insurance in case you miss the sailing.

When I flew to Amsterdam for my Viking cruise we did the same thing and ended up arriving an hour early! I'm not worried about that really. But maybe I should be! So much to think about lol.

I agree. I fly a lot and have had many delays. One time I spent over 8 hours at the airport due to a delay on a layover and had to be rerouted in the opposite direction. Another time I had to spend the night at a hotel in Dallas due to the airplane arriving on time, but not able to get to a gate for an hour. This caused me missing my connecting flight.

One time my son was supposed to fly out very early Saturday morning to catch an evening flight in Houston to go out of the country. The night before the flight, the airline cancelled it and they weren't able to get him on another flight so he could make his connection. My husband ended up driving him over 10 hours so that he wouldn't miss his flight. Never again. There is no way I would ever fly in the day of a cruise.

As far as luggage, I've had mine arrive late two times. That isn't bad considering how many times I have flown. My son had his suitcase disappear. Thankfully, he had a backpack with extra contacts and other things that he needed. He was out of the country at the time, so that wasn't fun for him.

Odds are that nothing bad will happen with the flights or the luggage. However, things do happen. Flying in the day before the cruise gives some extra time. Even when I flew in the day before a cruise once, I missed my connecting flight due to the late arrival of my first flight and didn't get to Miami until after midnight.

When I flew to Amsterdam for my Viking cruise we did the same thing and ended up arriving an hour early! I'm not worried about that really. But maybe I should be! So much to think about lol.

Definitely give it some thought! Not sure what airports you are traveling through - you just said US to UK - so I am wondering where in the UK you are landing. If Heathrow and traveling to cruise terminal in Southampton or Harwich, for example, you have a good distance to cover. If landing at Heathrow and flying to Southampton you have to change terminals. Just a heads up and would help to know your plans. I am just speculating.

So I'm flying from US to U.K. For my cruise, and we have two layovers only an hour each. I'm terrified they will lose my luggage. Anyone had that happen or not happen in similar situations?

Trying to figure out how to pack most of what I need in my carry on but also what to pack in my checked bag.

This happened to a couple on our cruise tour before our British Isles cruise. They had about an hour layover and figured it was enough time for them to catch their next flight. They didn't think that it wouldn't be enough time for their luggage to make the flight. She had packed a couple of outfits in her carryon. He didn't. They both spent time in Paris and London doing some shopping instead of sightseeing. Their luggage never made it. Air France shipped it back home! That being said, I think you'll be OK. I'd pack as much as I could in my carryon. If nothing else, it would take a little stress off of you. Also, do what others recommend and that's split up the clothing in case one piece of luggage makes it and another doesn't.

Don't stress yourself over something that most likely won't happen but yes, luggage does get lost. I always bring a change of clothing in my carry on just in case and carry a few bras and panties in case they get lost because you can get shirts, flip flops, pants, dresses on cruises but you can't get your underwear! LOL

To help give you little stress there is luggage out there that contains the built in Okoban system, its a global lost and found- • OKOBAN (Global Tracking System) is linked to WorldTracer - the airline industry tracing system used by over 400 airlines at over 2,800 airports worldwide.

https://www.okoban.com

I don't now how well this brand is but its something to consider to give you a peace of mind.

Travelcross Columbia luggage they sell it on amazon.

Desert Cruisers thats a lot of clothes to carry with you but I understand.....I pack 3-4 days bras/panties because I figured if my luggage is lost I can get my clothing cleaned and shirts, shorts and such can be purchased on board so I don't carry much in my carry on and I always wear a flip flop that I can wear day and evening lol

We normally cruise for 14 days, I generally pack 4 slacks for evening, mix & match tops, Depending on type cruise, Caribbean or colder climate, a few shorts, two pair evening shoes + daily wear. Bras/undies, toiletries. We leave for July cruise to Caribbean with friends and only a Carry on will be packed for the 7 days. August cruise will need heavier clothing with TA from Copenhagen including Iceland.

What I've done in similar circumstances is to ask at the gate. After some checking, they've always been able to confirm, though not guarantee , that they have received my bags from the connecting flight.

On my last cruise a family's luggage didn't make it onto their plane and they had to board the ship without it. The luggage caught up to the ship at our first island. Their airline put it on one of those Caribbean island-hopping airlines and it got delivered to the ship. The family didn't have to do a thing.

Luggage would be the least of my concerns. Making sure I get to the ship with flying in the day of would be my biggest concern. Losing my luggage would cost me a lot less than having to get myself to the next port to catch up to the cruise.

Luggage would be the least of my concerns. Making sure I get to the ship with flying in the day of would be my biggest concern. Losing my luggage would cost me a lot less than having to get myself to the next port to catch up to the cruise.

True! Now I have a new thing to worry about lol. Honestly didn't cross my mind because the one time I flew over seas we arrived early.

On my last cruise a family's luggage didn't make it onto their plane and they had to board the ship without it. The luggage caught up to the ship at our first island. Their airline put it on one of those Caribbean island-hopping airlines and it got delivered to the ship. The family didn't have to do a thing.

Doubt they have that for U.K. Sailings :( oh well. Got some good tips on here for packing just in case