HAL Please Dock a Ship at Port Canaveral

retdon

Sure would like to see one of those dark blue hulled beauties docked at Port Canaveral. The port has expanded and could use some more cruise lines there. What a large market in the central to northern Florida market you are missing out on.

Please put a ship at Port Canaveral.....

Sure would like to see one of those dark blue hulled beauties docked at Port Canaveral. The port has expanded and could use some more cruise lines there. What a large market in the central to northern Florida market you are missing out on.

Agree this would be wonderful. We could drive there instead of flying to Ft Lauderdale which is getting harder to do since American airlines has cancelled several of their weekend flights since acquiring US airways.

Suggest you pull up HAL's page on Facebook & put your request in there..

They rarely have anyone reading Cruise Critic these days.. We used to have some HAL employees on CC but have not seen them posting for many years..

The problem with Port Canaveral, is the nearest large commercial airport with many airlines in & out is over an hours drive..

Ft. Lauderdale & Tampa have airports which are a stones throw away with many departures & arrivals.. In addition they have lots of excellent hotels & restaurants..

I would love to be able to drive to Port Canaveral to pick up a ship, but it's not that convenient for out of Towner's../SIZE]

It isn't the most convenient port for people who are flying.

We sailed from there once and it was a 'longish' ride to the port. Not that many flights in comparison to other ports.

We did it once and that was enough. With the other available and excellent ports in Florida I can't see it happening.

The price for hotel rooms in ft. Lauderdale is out of control. I would much rather use another port.

Hal could provide airport shuttles, couldn't they?

Of course supplying ships is a big deal so you can see why they concentrate their ships in fewer places.

YES, please, HAL put a ship in Pt. Canaveral--it's only 1 + hrs. from home for me instead of the 4 + hr. drive to Ft. Lauderdale. About 12 yrs ago you had a ship here--that's when my husband and I first started sailing with you and love you brand better than any other cruise line.

We did it once and that was enough. With the other available and excellent ports in Florida I can't see it happening.

While I haven't actually boarded a cruise there I did have this as one of my stops on a repositioning cruise in 2013. The port wasn't particularly nice and it was in the boonies. Not too practical for those that have to fly.

Also, Orlando airport is less than 1 hr. away with an very easy route to get to the Port. Passengers could fly into Orlando Sanford airport as well as Daytona Beach (less then 1 hr.) or Jacksonville (2+ hrs.)

Seeing you are from the area, I am sure you know Sanford is not a viable choice for many of us given the scarcity of non-stop flights. We can fly non-stop from many cities to FLL. Daytona isn't much better of a choice and why would anyone opt for a 2+ hour drive when they can vote for ten minutes from Port Everglades to FLL Int'l Airport? HAL has updated terminals, shore ops people trained and accustomed to that port along with their offices there.

Many hotels and some in the reasonable price range, tons of restaurants with choices in both high end or moderate pricing, lots to do and see.

I don't see a business case for this, at all.

HAL has infrastructure already at Port Everglades. Their employees, agents and contractors are all in place there. Moving to Port Canaveral would require HAL to acquire new contracts and bear the cost of administering those, losing efficiencies of scale.

With a couple of exceptions, the vast majority of HAL cruises depart Port Everglades for ports to the south--moving Caribbean, South American and Panama cruises to Port Canaveral simply adds fuel costs, without any offset in port costs.

Disney operates out of Port Canaveral because they tie in Disney world visits to the cruise. Otherwise it is a most inconvenient port, an hour from the Orlando airport. It is a big nuisance to get there, especially with young children and the car seat situation.

Booking a transfer just adds expense for the traveler.

Rental cars can be a nuisance and adds expense for the traveler.

The driving distance impacts travel time with more limitations on what flights can be booked time wise.

Port Everglades and the port of Miami are logistically convenient to airports, lodging and services. FLL is five to ten minutes from the port. The port of Miami is fifteen minutes from the airport.

Edited by sammiedawg

What a large market in the central to northern Florida market you are missing out on.

Talk about a large market, how about New York? Were the 10 day cruises really a financial loss? We sailed to the Caribbean twice from NY on the wonderful Noordam. I am sure both cruises were at or near to maximum capacity.

bosco

Forget New Orleans........by-pass the long trip down the Mississippi and sail from either Mobile or Pensacola to the Western Caribbean. It is a straight shot south and Mobile already has a cruise port ready and waiting. Either port would be a good fit for HAL.

It isn't the most convenient port for people who are flying.

We sailed from there once and it was a 'longish' ride to the port. Not that many flights in comparison to other ports.

Every time I hear people complain about the trip from Port Everglades to FLL, I always think, "You know what this trip to the airport needs? Another 45 miles, ten thousand kids, and some Mouseketeer headwear."

The Zuiderdam used to go out of Port Canaveral and as I recall HAL had a hard time filling it. There were almost always fire sale pricing deals. In regards to air availability it doesn't get much better as everybody flies into MCO with it's proximity to WDW while Tampa is available as well. However your in for a ride using either of these. You can't beat FLL for a short hop to the port.

Michael

Talk about a large market, how about New York? Were the 10 day cruises really a financial loss? We sailed to the Caribbean twice from NY on the wonderful Noordam. I am sure both cruises were at or near to maximum capacity.

bosco

We did the Noordam out of New York twice as well and both times were during the winter. We were unable to enjoy the veranda for two or three days due to the weather. The seas also could be very rough in the Atlantic. The weather can get really bad in NYC as well and if people can't get to the ship because of a blizzard you have a major problem. The reason the ships were going out full was because of the sale prices HAL had to offer in order to fill them. So I wouldn't look to New York as something on the horizon.

Michael

I can't see where it would improve HAL's bottom line to have a ship out of Canaveral, but it wouldn't hurt any cruisers if they did.

HAL would still have plenty of ships sailing out of Ft. Lauderdale for those who prefer that port, and would open up a new choice for those who would like to leave from further north.

The question would be if there's enough more money in it, and I doubt it.

bosco

At what price did they fill some of those cabins?

I was told the on board spending was poor, the fuel consumption was high and there were many bargain seekers who would wait for the fire sale to book.

I can't verify any of that is accurate but I find it has more than a little logic.

We did the Noordam out of New York twice as well and both times were during the winter. We were unable to enjoy the veranda for two or three days due to the weather. The seas also could be very rough in the Atlantic. The weather can get really bad in NYC as well and if people can't get to the ship because of a blizzard you have a major problem. The reason the ships were going out full was because of the sale prices HAL had to offer in order to fill them. So I wouldn't look to New York as something on the horizon.

Michael

I sailed Noordam January, 2007 from NYC to Caribbean and the day we boarded was so warm, we ate lunch outside with light jackets on. We were sitting at the pool (in shorts though some wore swimsuits the first full day out).

RuthC was on that cruise and the weather was outstanding.

Coming home, we encountered more usual weather and it was cool the last day out.

I loved that cruise. :)

Edited by sail7seas

Michael

Exactly. Why on earth would Hal stop sailing from there otherwise.

At what price did they fill some of those cabins?

I was told the on board spending was poor, the fuel consumption was high and there were many bargain seekers who would wait for the fire sale to book.

I can't verify any of that is accurate but I find it has more than a little logic.

I can tell you that we spent every penny that we saved as far as air fares, hotel and restaurant bills as well as time saved (only 3 1/2 hours to the port ) on the ship and on excursions. So limit it to only 2 or 3 winter cruises and price accordingly. I would be happy to pay for the extra fuel and I do enjoy the extra day or two at sea.

I sailed Noordam January, 2007 from NYC to Caribbean and the day we boarded was so warm, we ate lunch outside with light jackets on. We were sitting at the pool (in shorts though some wore swimsuits the first full day out).

Coming home, we encountered more usual weather and it was cool the last day out.

I loved that cruise. :)

We have cruised at least 8 times from NYC or NJ and almost always in Jan-Feb-Mar and have always found that by the second evening or at least the third day the weather was always very nice and was like the Carolina's.

bosco

It was bloody hot at muster! I couldn't get out of my jacket fast enough. It was 70ºF when we sailed down the Hudson.

Although I've never been lucky enough to meet Ruth C. I would say as wonderful as she is through her helpful and kind posts that the sun might come out just to see her. [emoji274]

Aw, shucks. :o You just made my day.

Thanks. :)