Crossdock ship tours?!

jdlutz

OK, so here's a scenario. You arrive into a port of call and there a number of other ships in port that day (this is often true for Nassau and other popular ports). If you've seen many of the sites before and have no desire to hang out on your ship while in port, what do you do? How about a tour or lounging extravaganza on another ship for the day until your ship departs?! I know, I know, lots of red flags.... stowaways, how do you pay for shipboard expenses, etc. All of these are small hurdles for a cruise line to handle and really could be a great source of income for them if implemented well. Here is your chance to think out loud and maybe the cruise lines will take notice. I personally think I'd be willing to pay a $10 cover charge to board and also purchase a prepaid card for shipboard expenses knowing that it'd expire within a limited time (encouraging me to exit ship by departure time, etc.) I know this upcoming cruise that I'll be docked in Nassau and wishing that I could go lounge on one of the other 5 ships docked there for the afternoon. So what do you think? :)

Do you think the people on those other ships want a bunch of people joining them? I don't there is a lot of room at the pools for additional people...they are designed for the number of people they are carrying.

And how are you going to pay for a meal in the Lido? Or the MDR? Most cruise ships I am aware of don't have a system to bill for those services, only at the additional charge restaurants, which of course is a charge to your room.

The cruise line could limit the number of guests welcomed aboard and like I stated, a simple sail and sign card issued at dockside could take care of shipboard expenses with time limited to that day only. Computers make issuing cards and financial responsibilities a simple affair. The guest would have to sign a contract to disembark before departure or bare a hefty penalty, etc. The ships are always looking for a way to make more revenue. Here is their chance!

Due to security concerns visitors are rarely allowed on in ports. When it does happen arrangements have been made in advance. Usually the visitors are travel agents or local officials, not 'looky-loos'. While it would be interesting to tour other ships, I don't see it happening. I do have to admit that as a passenger I wouldn't be at all thrilled with having 'tourists' ;) on board for the day.

Keep in mind that when a ship is docked, not everyone debarks to go on an excursion. Those that stay on board like to take advantage of the peace and quiet, and maybe utilize some of the on board amenities that are barely accessible to many when the ship is at sea. I and my DW would definitely make use of the Serenity deck the next time our itinerary includes Nassau. I sure wouldn't be happy if a large group of strangers were allowed to come on board and wander around the ship while in port. While I can understand the curiosity and desire to visit another ship while in port, in reality, it's a bad idea. If the cruise lines want to make extra money, why not set up a booth somewhere on the dock and sell video tours of each ship on a dvd?

OK, so here's a scenario. You arrive into a port of call and there a number of other ships in port that day (this is often true for Nassau and other popular ports). If you've seen many of the sites before and have no desire to hang out on your ship while in port, what do you do? How about a tour or lounging extravaganza on another ship for the day until your ship departs?! I know, I know, lots of red flags.... stowaways, how do you pay for shipboard expenses, etc. All of these are small hurdles for a cruise line to handle and really could be a great source of income for them if implemented well. Here is your chance to think out loud and maybe the cruise lines will take notice. I personally think I'd be willing to pay a $10 cover charge to board and also purchase a prepaid card for shipboard expenses knowing that it'd expire within a limited time (encouraging me to exit ship by departure time, etc.) I know this upcoming cruise that I'll be docked in Nassau and wishing that I could go lounge on one of the other 5 ships docked there for the afternoon. So what do you think? :)

Security, Security, Security

Sounds fun but not likely to happen. :)

Enjoy your own ship if you don't feel like going ashore in port.

The biggest concern I can clearly understand is the one expressed of wanting the ship to be exclusive of only those who sail on it for that particular sailing. I can see how having other "guests" from neighboring ships aboard for the time in port may be disquieting to those who've chosen to stay aboard and could imagine the customer relations brouhaha this could cause. This wanderlust will just have to remain unfulfilled. :-(

In 1983 we were in an Alaskan port on the Sun Princess along with the Island Princess. In those days you could pay for your drinks as you ordered them and your cabin key was a real key. We were allowed to go aboard the other ship and did. On the gangway we just had to show our cabin key and say we there for a visit. We wandered around and took pictures.

With today's security it would not be possible. When guests are on board at ports they are pre-screened and given a security card so they can be checked in and off the ship just as you are.

There are some cruise lines that have ship tours but these are on embarkation days (and the ones I've heard about have been in US ports). Princess has the Bon Voyage Experience that you can sign up for. I think it's about $39 and you get lunch and can put that fee toward a booking, I believe (haven't done it, but if you're interested, you can go on the Princess website to find info). Again, it's only done in US ports and not on all sailings.

I did get a chance to go on a travel agents tour (TAs were given so many tickets, I guess, for client and potential clients) on a Celebrity ship when it was docked in San Pedro on turn-around day. No cost, but each of us had to provide passport info, DOB, etc. And we had to surrender our driver's license before boarding. We were given a list of numbers of cabins we could explore and then we had lunch. I remember checking out the kids' area and pool deck. We had to get off the ship by 3 or so.

I seriously would doubt that cruise lines would be willing to do this during a cruise. And I doubt if there's that much of a demand vs the hue and cry of those who are staying on board for a nice quiet day.

Thanks for your input and kind response. Being a travel agent in my former career, I had many opportunities to see many ships during special travel agent weekends with ships of various cruise lines at home ports. It was illuminating and fun to see how different ships and lines catered to the cruise clientele.

In 1983 we were in an Alaskan port on the Sun Princess along with the Island Princess. In those days you could pay for your drinks as you ordered them and your cabin key was a real key. We were allowed to go aboard the other ship and did. On the gangway we just had to show our cabin key and say we there for a visit. We wandered around and took pictures.

With today's security it would not be possible. When guests are on board at ports they are pre-screened and given a security card so they can be checked in and off the ship just as you are.

The world was a very different, safer place in 1983. Sadly, many freedoms and privileges we had then are no longer possible.

I've had the chance to visit on a number of ships but in recent years, I always submitted either my Driver's License number, date of birth etc prior to the date I would be visiting and security would check to be sure I could be 'cleared'. I, also, left my license with security at the gangway, was given a visitor tag to wear and my license was returned to me when I returned the visitor tag and left the ship. I visited in both U.S. as well as foreign ports.

Years ago, there used to be many TA's and their clients visiting for lunch in various ports but in recent years, there has been far less of that.

Thinking of OP's referring to Nassau in making his proposal, I have one point, in addition to the security concerns, billing problems, etc. already raised: I and many others have had our fill of Nassau - the only way to enjoy the port call comes from having much of the ship to ourselves --- the last thing I would want on such a port day is a lot of one day tourists crowding what could have been a casual, easy day.

I know it will never happen for many, many, many reasons (and rightfully so) but it is something I've thought would be fun. Many times in port I've thought it would be fun to be able to board and tour the different ships. When we're camping I've always wanted the campground to have an open-house to be able to see the different floorplans of the different trailers and motor homes. Just another thing that would be fun but only in an imaginary world.

This thread reminds me of the time I was on Norwegian Sea at Roatan. Another NCL ship in port with us had sailed an hour earlier - four of their passengers who spent too much time at a beach showed up and demanded that NCL owed them passage - resisting understanding that as the Sea was booked solid there would in any event be no room for them - as well as the fact that NCL was only obligated to accommodate them on the ship they had booked.

I've actually read of cruise ship (sometimes not even same cruise line) taking aboard a late returning passenger knowing both ships would be in same port the next day. That is certainly not usual or to be expected but from time to time, out of the kindness of their hearts or whatever reason, Captains have been know to permit it.

I've actually read of cruise ship (sometimes not even same cruise line) taking aboard a late returning passenger knowing both ships would be in same port the next day. That is certainly not usual or to be expected but from time to time, out of the kindness of their hearts or whatever reason, Captains have been know to permit it.

It's good to hear that captains would undertake such humane "rescue" operations -- but I would imagine they would be somewhat reluctant if it involved more than a day or so --- or if their own ships were at maximum capacity. It certainly is not something late-returning passengers should feel automatically entitled to.

I can think of other situations that you just won't be able to tour a company or even schools. In the school district here, schools will have organized tours for upcoming parents and students -- you have to sign up for them and show ID to take part. A member of the staff (such as a magnet coordinator or assistant principal will lead the group, and would prearrange with teachers if they can drop in -- that there won't be an exam going on, etc.) Else it would be disruptive for the current classes to have people peering in.

I can see the same reasons plus some more for not having non-passengers come aboard ships in port other than prearranged tours on turn around day when the boarding passengers are busy going to their cabins.

It might be kind of fun to tour another ship, see the public rooms, the facilities, etc, but I don't think I would want to go on a cruise to then go on another ship to "lounge around". I'd either want to enjoy the amenities of your own ship, (where my cabin is a few minutes away, if necessary) or go out and explore the island.

How about a tour or lounging extravaganza on another ship for the day until your ship departs?!

I really like that idea. Security might be an issue but I don't see why that could not be resolved (I don't even see why it should actually be an issue). 50 "strangers" coming on board on "my" ship to enjoy a tour or a drink would be an even lesser issue, mostly because I probably wouldn't even notice it.

I've only enjoyed one cruise yet and in a few ports I think a tour on other ships could be have been more interesting than the port itself.

Edited by AmazedByCruising