Cruisers & Losers Breakaway Part 1

Fineaswine

Just sailed on the Breakaway I will begin by saying that New York is beautiful at night. I should know, I saw it from the top deck of the ship when it would otherwise have been at sea. A great view of the Hustler Club from port side by the way. During this cruise I met many people, mostly drunk people and angry drunk people, disillusioned with the last minute change from beautiful Bermuda to god awful port Canaveral and Nassau which needs no introductions. I attended the second city sketch comedy and a good 40% of their material was "what the deuce Norwegian!" Everyone laughed, but I think we were all just a bit bitter inside after dishing out a lot of money to sail to Florida, the Johnson of U.S.

I bunked with four other people, three of which were children and though highly impressed with our Cruise director, the boundlessly talented "Dan Dan" as well as several other ship personalities like the magic fingers piano player Manny and the posh Port Shopping Consultant Shannon. Our on shore time was limited and lack luster in equal measure. But lets not get ahead of ourselves.

Day 1: We arrived in New York City and were made to wait in a badly organize like to embark. Once we made it onto the ship we went to lunch at Savor. It was I must admit adequate. The waiter brought us much food and drink, however it was perhaps a bit much. We were soon overwhelmed with platters of complimentary breads and individually wrapped butters. I had to ask the waiter to slow down the dinner service a bit to which he replied "Okay". Besides this I would recommend Savor as the appetizers, entree's and desserts were quite palatable as between me, my wife and our three children we ordered nearly all selections from the menu. All were good options. Our room was on the other hand, less than impressive. The sleeping area in particular was not designed for large men such as myself and I had difficulty moving about and got wedged between the wall and the bed. Later that evening we attended the Welcome aboard show. I was very excited to see the dancers of Burn the Floor and the preview of Rock of Ages, though still disappointed about Bermuda I decided I was going to enjoy my hard earned vacation with my loving family aboard the Norwegian Breakaway.

Day 2: I awoke the following day, day 2 and got ready for breakfast. We made our way to the elevator lobby and pressed the up key, then waited...and waited...and waited. At long last, the elevator arrived and the children and my wife got in, I awaited a separate car as my scooter would not fit...and I waited...and waited... Finally we made it to deck number 15 and moved to get in line for the Garden Cafe breakfast buffet. A short in stature, smiling Filipino woman greeted everyone with a bottle of spray, its contents questionable as it was not visibly labeled. I tried to avoid the young woman but she reached into my personal space saying "washy washy" and proceeded to spray toward my hand, but as the bottle was set to mist It got the side of my face including my left eye. She was very apologetic and I quickly rolled forward hoping to forget the incident. I did not. The people in the buffet line were savage to say the least, shoving and cutting each other. I was on several occasions throughout this cruise, elbowed. Someone, a child as I would hope an adult would not be so immature, stuffed a Nutella filled crape on to my seat when I wasn't looking. I had to go back to the cabin to change. After Breakfast I made my way to the Atrium, the seats were large and comfortable. There I sat awaiting lunch and whatever the rest of day 2 might bring.

To Be Continued...

Edited by Fineaswine

The people in the buffet line were savage to say the least, shoving and cutting each other.

Some will disagree with me on this but I don't think that the buffet has an actual "line".

The "made to order" sections usually have a line but the other sections are basically "zip in...zip out" and grab whatever you want. :o

I've sailed Carnival, Princess, Royal, and most recently Celebrity. I've considered Norwegian, but have heard mostly bad things about them.

Sorry your cruise got off to such a poor start.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by renaroo

Some will disagree with me on this but I don't think that the buffet has an actual "line".

The "made to order" sections usually have a line but the other sections are basically "zip in...zip out" and grab whatever you want. :o

I agree - there are many identical sections, so I'd just go to the back and grab from there.

The "made to order" sections usually have a line
Yes, and you have to pick your line wisely! It's not necessarily the line with the fewest people. Also look at the people in line and how many plates they're holding. Some people are ordering 3 or 4 omelettes for the whole extended family!

Sometimes they're super sneaky about it and they don't bring their own plates. They get to the front and keep ordering one omelette after another… Just you tell yourself "the day can only get better after this" and hope to god it's true. :)

I don't understand why the wife and children got on the elevator instead of the man in the scooter. We all take the stairs on cruises - there are people who have to use the elevators, I don't like to waste time waiting, we eat far too much and need to burn it off (and I also have a little fear of elevators and being trapped in one).

I think a lot of the bitterness seems to flow from the fact that he wanted to go to Bermuda, and instead, had to to settle for Port Canaveral and Nassau. I would much prefer Bermuda instead as well. But OP booked a cruise during hurricane season, and now seems to blame NCL for his decision. When you book a cruise during hurricane season, you are taking chances. I'm sure OP has now learned that.

OP also seems to think that readers will find his whining about everything to be cute or funny and humorous. It's not. Was it really necessary to describe the washy washy woman as a "short smiling Filipino woman"? What does being Filipino have to do with it?

I do agree that being in a scooter would be tough on a cruise. Did you have a handicapped accessible room? You describe yourself as large and proceed to complain about the small cabin. I think being large, in a scooter, and sharing a standard cabin with a wife and three children would make things tough. Also, you complain about getting stuck between the wall and the bed. Why didn't your wife take that side then?

During this cruise I met many people, mostly drunk people and angry drunk people,

We too found this on our Jan cruise on the Breakaway and it was this cruise we decided no more huge ships. We found the drunks loud obnoxious and just sheer annoying at every turn of the cruise including the specialty dining venues which we only eat at.

I blame this on the introduction of the for alcoholics booze pkg.

The people in the buffet line were savage to say the least, shoving and cutting each other. I was on several occasions throughout this cruise, elbowed.

This is why we refuse to eat at the pig trough.

After 30 some cruises with NCL we've decided to try other lines.

During this cruise I met many people, mostly drunk people and angry drunk people,

We too found this on our Jan cruise on the Breakaway and it was this cruise we decided no more huge ships. We found the drunks loud obnoxious and just sheer annoying at every turn of the cruise including the specialty dining venues which we only eat at.

I blame this on the introduction of the for alcoholics booze pkg.

The people in the buffet line were savage to say the least, shoving and cutting each other. I was on several occasions throughout this cruise, elbowed.

This is why we refuse to eat at the pig trough.

After 30 some cruises with NCL we've decided to try other lines.

Not a big fan of the Mega ships. We love the Jewel class on NCL. Less drunks, less pushing and shoving in the buffet. And just as much bread and butter in the MDR.

My DH and I sailed on the Breakaway this past September.

It was not our favorite cruise,but we recognize the reasons for this.

Being in our 60's ,non-drinkers and having issues with smoke inside the ship, we were not perfectly comfortable on the ship.

We will not be sailing on the Breakaway again.

While this NCL product may appeal to some,we realize that it is not for us.

Sometimes,passengers need to realize that it is not the total responsiblity of the cruise line to insure that you have an enjoyable cruise.

Sometimes, it is our own attitudes or preferences that cause us to enjoy our vacations or to find them lacking.

sometimes,passengers need to realize that it is not the total responsiblity of the cruise line to insure that you have an enjoyable cruise.

Sometimes, it is our own attitudes or preferences that cause us to enjoy our vacations or to find them lacking.

triple like! :d

Just sailed on the Breakaway I will begin by saying that New York is beautiful at night. I should know, I saw it from the top deck of the ship when it would otherwise have been at sea. A great view of the Hustler Club from port side by the way. During this cruise I met many people, mostly drunk people and angry drunk people, disillusioned with the last minute change from beautiful Bermuda to god awful port Canaveral and Nassau which needs no introductions. I attended the second city sketch comedy and a good 40% of their material was "what the deuce Norwegian!" Everyone laughed, but I think we were all just a bit bitter inside after dishing out a lot of money to sail to Florida, the Johnson of U.S.

I bunked with four other people, three of which were children and though highly impressed with our Cruise director, the boundlessly talented "Dan Dan" as well as several other ship personalities like the magic fingers piano player Manny and the posh Port Shopping Consultant Shannon. Our on shore time was limited and lack luster in equal measure. But lets not get ahead of ourselves.

Day 1: We arrived in New York City and were made to wait in a badly organize like to embark. Once we made it onto the ship we went to lunch at Savor. It was I must admit adequate. The waiter brought us much food and drink, however it was perhaps a bit much. We were soon overwhelmed with platters of complimentary breads and individually wrapped butters. I had to ask the waiter to slow down the dinner service a bit to which he replied "Okay". Besides this I would recommend Savor as the appetizers, entree's and desserts were quite palatable as between me, my wife and our three children we ordered nearly all selections from the menu. All were good options. Our room was on the other hand, less than impressive. The sleeping area in particular was not designed for large men such as myself and I had difficulty moving about and got wedged between the wall and the bed. Later that evening we attended the Welcome aboard show. I was very excited to see the dancers of Burn the Floor and the preview of Rock of Ages, though still disappointed about Bermuda I decided I was going to enjoy my hard earned vacation with my loving family aboard the Norwegian Breakaway.

Day 2: I awoke the following day, day 2 and got ready for breakfast. We made our way to the elevator lobby and pressed the up key, then waited...and waited...and waited. At long last, the elevator arrived and the children and my wife got in, I awaited a separate car as my scooter would not fit...and I waited...and waited... Finally we made it to deck number 15 and moved to get in line for the Garden Cafe breakfast buffet. A short in stature, smiling Filipino woman greeted everyone with a bottle of spray, its contents questionable as it was not visibly labeled. I tried to avoid the young woman but she reached into my personal space saying "washy washy" and proceeded to spray toward my hand, but as the bottle was set to mist It got the side of my face including my left eye. She was very apologetic and I quickly rolled forward hoping to forget the incident. I did not. The people in the buffet line were savage to say the least, shoving and cutting each other. I was on several occasions throughout this cruise, elbowed. Someone, a child as I would hope an adult would not be so immature, stuffed a Nutella filled crape on to my seat when I wasn't looking. I had to go back to the cabin to change. After Breakfast I made my way to the Atrium, the seats were large and comfortable. There I sat awaiting lunch and whatever the rest of day 2 might bring.

To Be Continued...

I am SO looking forward to the rest of your review. I enjoy your writing style and wit. I am cracking up reading it so PLEASE don't be chased away by the people trying to negate your opinions. We are about to go on our first NCL cruise. I don't expect everyone to like all the same things. My only real hope is that we really like the food. I can always make the best of the rest usually.

Please continue!!!!!

everyone has his/her own ideal I would agree with you, I hardly think I would call the buffet a line seeing there are so many stations. Oh, well, to each his own. Some people have different ideas about life in general; some roll with the punches, others find things a little harder to accept.

I find it amazing the op was upset about the hand washing at the beginning of the buffet. I am glad they have someone there encouraging us to do what we can to control noro virus.

Add to all this, we have been on about 20 NCL cruises as well as many other lines; we have rarely seen people sloppy drunk. Of course we don't stay up 1/2 the night and hang around in the bars. Maybe that is why. even since adding the UBP I haven't seen many drunks.

Edited by newmexicoNita

I am SO looking forward to the rest of your review. I enjoy your writing style and wit. I am cracking up reading it so PLEASE don't be chased away by the people trying to negate your opinions. We are about to go on our first NCL cruise. I don't expect everyone to like all the same things. My only real hope is that we really like the food. I can always make the best of the rest usually.

Please continue!!!!!

humorous maybe, but still way too one sided for many. An objective review is one thing: when I see someone complain about washing hands or complain because a decision was made not to sail into a possible hurricane I have a little problem with the humor.

The only positive thing I noticed so far is that Breakaway serves the nutella chocolate crepes and not the chocolate syrup crepes like Pearl does. :D

Okay, that was funny too. Not feeling great today so these humorous posts are lifting my spirits.

When I read his post about someone putting a nutella crepe on his chair, I honestly thought it was a joke :D:D Who would do that? I'd kill my kid if they ever did that :D:D

humorous maybe, but still way too one sided for many. An objective review is one thing: when I see someone complain about washing hands or complain because a decision was made not to sail into a possible hurricane I have a little problem with the humor.

You might want to stay away from this thread then. I am looking forward to reading more. I like his writing style.

You might want to stay away from this thread then. I am looking forward to reading more. I like his writing style.

that is what makes CC so fun and successful; we all have an opinion which is the American way. I will add, if I were cruising in a scooter and with 3 kids, I too might be a bit hard to please.