Hawaii flight durations

Into Cruising

I am brain dead from trying to figure out how much time will be spent in the air or at airports, when traveling to Hawaii for a POA cruise.

For the remainder of October NCL is offering as one of the choices for perks a one night stay in a Waikiki Hotel, and the option to purchase discounted airfare. The price of airfare depends on the selected airport, but Miami, Orlando New Orleans and Atlanta is offered for $699 each. I think the west coast cities are offered from $399 each.

I did some random flight checks , not to compare pricing but to get an idea of the time required to get to Honolulu, and I am seeing times up to about 23 hours.....

I suppose these take into account the time zones, but I am confused.

What should I be looking forward to?

I thought the price was going to be a determining factor, but I do not think I want to spend 15-23 hours on the trip over and again on the trip back.

My planned cruise is way out longer than the airlines will book yet

Since we don't know where you are traveling from, there is no way to tell you exactly.

Flights from New Orleans to Los Angeles are usually about 4 1/2 hours and then a flight from Los Angeles to Honolulu is about 6 hours so flight time for me is about 10 1/2 hours.

Layover time in Los Angeles varies but we like a couple of hours layover to eat and recuperate a little before the next flight.

I would never fly a non-stop from the east coast or even from Atlanta or Houston because that is too long of a flight without a break for me.

I've been looking at flights to Hawaii from Orlando. It seems like the most direct flight. Mco to JFK, and then JFK to Honolulu is around 15 hours with a 1.5 hour layover. I'm sure it could find a shorter distance if I few to la and then la to Honolulu. Anyways....23 hours is a long time. I'm assuming those flights have multiple connections or a very long layover.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We had NCL book our flights and hotel pre & post cruise. This was in 2007, so I don't remember what we paid for the package.

Our first leg was Boston to Chicago. The second was Chicago to Oahu. Coming home, we flew through the night, Oahu to San Francisco. After a few hours layover----San Francisco to Boston, non stop.

We didn't find these flights terrible. Others from the cruise were with us, so we talked, ate, read, and slept or watched lots of movies.

Be sure to keep moving your legs during long flights to avoid deep vein thrombosis.

This past January we flew Newark to HNL non stop. It was just over an 11 hour flight. It was slightly less overnight coming back.

We prefer non-stop, even long flights, over ones with stop-overs. Non-stop flights cut down on the opportunity for delayed and or missed flights as well as lost luggage. Plus, it means only settling into a seat once.

Yes, time changes do make flights/travel seem longer or shorter. I usually calculate actual travel time by converting the arrival and departure times to the same time zone so I can get a better idea of how long I'll be actually in transit.

We need to know where you will be flying from.

Just for some perspective, you will only get to HNL directly from a handful of US airports.

Los Angeles to Honolulu - 5 hours

San Fransisco to Honolulu - 5.5 hours

Denver to Honolulu - 7 hours

Dallas to Honolulu - 8 hours

Atlanta to Honolulu - 9.5 hours

Newark to Honolulu - 10 hours

When you are searching, all departure and arrival times are given in local time, i.e. leave Dallas at 11am, arrive in HNL at 2pm (7pm Dallas time). To have flight times with the duration you've quoted, you're either being given multiple layovers or flying from Europe. Getting to Hawaii from most US cities can be done with 1 short layover pretty easily.

We need to know where you will be flying from.

Just for some perspective, you will only get to HNL directly from a handful of US airports.

Los Angeles to Honolulu - 5 hours

San Fransisco to Honolulu - 5.5 hours

Denver to Honolulu - 7 hours

Dallas to Honolulu - 8 hours

Atlanta to Honolulu - 9.5 hours

Newark to Honolulu - 10 hours

Pardon I think your times are reversed for these two:

Los Angeles to Honolulu - 5 hours SHOULD BE 5.5

San Francisco to Honolulu - 5.5 hours SHOULD BE 5.0

The closest mainland airport to travel to Hawaii is San Francisco

Additional non-stop cities:

JFK to HNL - 10.5

Chicago ORD - HNL - 8

Minneapolis/St Paul - 8.5

Salt Lake - 7

San Diego - 6

San Jose/Oakland - 5

Portland - 5.5

Seattle - 6

Vancouver - 6

Anchorage - 6

All times rounded not specific to a decimal minute

Being a retired airline employee I have had the opportunity to fly from all

the above cities except Newark Dallas and Denver.

A direct or connecting flight has a time penalty with the stop and or plane change

- while true a non-stop is direct - a direct flight is not non-stop.

Remember when converting your times Hawaii does not go on DayLight Savings.

Westbound flights traditionally encounter Head Winds and are slower.

East bound ones have Tail Winds and are faster.

I live in Tallahassee, FL, but can fly out of Atlanta, New Orleans, Orlando or Miami to get the $699 fare.

The times I got were probably skewed by sorting on the least expensive, which in turn turns out to be multiple stops and layovers.

My guess is It may be best to drive up to Atlanta in hopes of being assigned a direct , and possibly a non stop flight?

What are the chances that NCL would actually book a direct or non stop flight with this discounted fare? Or am I doomed to the multi stop cheap flights?

Being a cynic I would say that NCL will book the cheapest flights possible and charge you the maximum they can get away with.

Remember that you do not find out the flight information till the "last minute". They agree a price with the airline and the airline fits you in where they have space.

I've been looking at flights to Hawaii from Orlando. It seems like the most direct flight. Mco to JFK, and then JFK to Honolulu is around 15 hours with a 1.5 hour layover. I'm sure it could find a shorter distance if I few to la and then la to Honolulu. Anyways....23 hours is a long time. I'm assuming those flights have multiple connections or a very long layover.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That is flying east first and then a long flight from New York to Hi. One would think you would go West on the first leg. Like to Las Vegas and then to Hi. Stay a night in Vegas.

My guess is It may be best to drive up to Atlanta in hopes of being assigned a direct , and possibly a non stop flight?

Yes, Delta has a non-stop every day and a direct (through SLC), same aircraft, every day. If you book either of those you will be on a Airbus 330 (2-4-2 seating). If you go through LAX, SEA, SFO with 1 stop you will be on 757s

(3-3 seating) all the way. Big difference on long legs.

They use the Waikiki Marriott but also do not allow any deviations, you can not book for additional nights or delay your flight till the next day......pretty stringent. I'd prefer doing the 11 day land tour, but it does not qualify for the discount airfare. So they have me over the barrel.

They use the Waikiki Marriott but also do not allow any deviations, you can not book for additional nights or delay your flight till the next day......pretty stringent. I'd prefer doing the 11 day land tour, but it does not qualify for the discount airfare. So they have me over the barrel.

Just as an idea, we fly from the east coast to Hawaii several times a year. We fly on an early morning flight on A A through Dallas and get to Honolulu between 3 and 5 pm (about 13 hours total travel time).

The Waikiki Marriott is a great hotel, in the heart of Waikiki. Close to the port.

NCL does not give you much control Over your flights. And usually does not book them until closer to your departure. Try

To get to Honolulu as early as possible.

Enjoy!

Domestic flights from the US east coast will typically involve at least 1 connection, depending on the departure airport & airline/hubs used - more commonly these days on narrow-body jets (and, do I hate those 738's and 739's, worst than the 753's - especially if you are booked in "Y" or coach & no option to upgrade to Y+ (or better) if offered).

Ideally, total time in the air, plus layover or connections at the airline hub would be somewhere between 13 and 15 hours ... playing minimum MCT is fine if your flight is early/on-time and you are an expert marathon runner thru the airport concourse with luggage & backpack, as there is still the risk of your checked luggage not getting onto your next flight segment. Cross-pack your items and have at least 2 full sets of clothes with you as carry-on (thus, avoid those regional jets with the micro-sized overhead bins where only slim duffle bags can fit above & everything else is gate-checked).

Get to HNL at least a day early, your body clock will thank you for the jetlag and time zone changes (- 5 hours) to adjust; and, in case you "delayed" checked luggage won't find its way to you by the airline's courier services until the afternoon of day 2 (not unusual for the carriers to have just 1 or 2 daily flights into HNL these days if there's a mis-connect).

By using NCL Air, some of the choices & options will be unavailable or limited at best. If travel waivers are invoked due to weather or other unforeseen events, not all airlines honor each other's endorsed tickets to fly you to the destination, i.e. Jetblue will typically only rebook you on their own flights and you can't fly (except at your own expenses) on AA, UA or DL even if seats are available.

Lastly, plan for your meals and snacks while in transit - as you don't always get that extra 15 minutes to buy at the connecting airports ... while they are ready to do the final boarding call & about to release your seat assignments to a long list of standby pax waiting at the wings, very common these days when aircrafts are flying full on popular resort/vacation routes, you could still be denied boarding if you aren't at the gate at the stipulated time. There are only a limited # of meal/snack box for sale onboard - pack some energy bars, trail mixes & comfort food not prone to spoiling so that you can eat - as it can be 15+ hours before you get the chance to buy "real" food again, assuming there are not delays on your route.

Mahalo & say Aloha :cool:

We are flying to Honolulu at the end of June stopping first a couple of days in Arizona. Then, getting to Honolulu 4 days before the cruise and returning back to NY July 8th. Fares are available now for that time period but are high. When is the best time to buy knowing our travel dates are firm?

Edited by Crazy planning mom

Domestic flights from the US east coast will typically involve at least 1 connection, depending on the departure airport & airline/hubs used - more commonly these days on narrow-body jets (and, do I hate those 738's and 739's, worst than the 753's - especially if you are booked in "Y" or coach & no option to upgrade to Y+ (or better) if offered).

Ideally, total time in the air, plus layover or connections at the airline hub would be somewhere between 13 and 15 hours ... playing minimum MCT is fine if your flight is early/on-time and you are an expert marathon runner thru the airport concourse with luggage & backpack, as there is still the risk of your checked luggage not getting onto your next flight segment. Cross-pack your items and have at least 2 full sets of clothes with you as carry-on (thus, avoid those regional jets with the micro-sized overhead bins where only slim duffle bags can fit above & everything else is gate-checked).

Get to HNL at least a day early, your body clock will thank you for the jetlag and time zone changes (- 5 hours) to adjust; and, in case you "delayed" checked luggage won't find its way to you by the airline's courier services until the afternoon of day 2 (not unusual for the carriers to have just 1 or 2 daily flights into HNL these days if there's a mis-connect).

By using NCL Air, some of the choices & options will be unavailable or limited at best. If travel waivers are invoked due to weather or other unforeseen events, not all airlines honor each other's endorsed tickets to fly you to the destination, i.e. Jetblue will typically only rebook you on their own flights and you can't fly (except at your own expenses) on AA, UA or DL even if seats are available.

Lastly, plan for your meals and snacks while in transit - as you don't always get that extra 15 minutes to buy at the connecting airports ... while they are ready to do the final boarding call & about to release your seat assignments to a long list of standby pax waiting at the wings, very common these days when aircrafts are flying full on popular resort/vacation routes, you could still be denied boarding if you aren't at the gate at the stipulated time. There are only a limited # of meal/snack box for sale onboard - pack some energy bars, trail mixes & comfort food not prone to spoiling so that you can eat - as it can be 15+ hours before you get the chance to buy "real" food again, assuming there are not delays on your route.

Mahalo & say Aloha :cool:

Mahalo Nui Loa - EXCELLENT --- Thank You Very Much for that summary !

Adding background data:

Something that is hard to understand about travel to Hawaii is that the PEAK season is perhaps all the time but even more so in the SUMMER.

In the winter the northerners head to Hawaii to escape the bitter cold.

In the summer the southerners head to Hawaii to escape the extreme humid heat.

Hawaii while further south than the continental mainland is blessed with air-conditioned tradewinds about 95 % of the time and minimal clothing needs to be packed do remember sun block.

Also in the summer it is school vacation time when kids and their parents have the time to do something together as well as some of the school teachers.

There are more people residing in the sun (heat) belt than are in the cold front.

The OFF season is in the spring from mid March to mid May and in the fall from September to a week before Thanksgiving and then the first two weeks

of December.

The Hawaii Visitors Bureau statistics bear this out.

For those who have traveled to Hawaii before remember filling out that questionnaire about your travel plans to Hawaii - most revealing data.

Hawaii is a year round destination so the air fares don't change a great deal and the airlines report that it is one of the prime frequent flyer redemption routes.

Seating is always tough for the best seats on the plane.

NCL purchases blocks of seats in the coach section.

Don't worry about seating families together.

By blocking seats and waiting to the last minute to assign them that problem is solved.

Beware and read the previous post (quoted above) by mking8222 for the best sane traveling comfort advice.

Adding plan your travel arrangements months out and whether you work with/thru a TA or on your own weigh very carefully the combination deals that

NCL is offering with air fare and hotel but with limited opportunities for other pre-post shore excursions.

For a few dollars more you can often do much better.

If you are on a budget (aren't we all) and you are planning this once in a lifetime trip make allowances to enjoy it to the fullest !

And of course in ending "ALOHA" !

We are flying to Honolulu at the end of June stopping first a couple of days in Arizona. Then, getting to Honolulu 4 days before the cruise and returning back to NY July 8th. Fares are available now for that time period but are high. When is the best time to buy knowing our travel dates are firm?

"NOW" !

Last minute buying gets you nothing but the worst seats on the plane and they might not be together !

The fares don't change much in the Hawaii market !

But the NY - AZ trip could be variable and different.

Look at separating and combining you flights for better deal on price !

You don't have to work exclusively with one airline or its partner !

I live in Tallahassee, FL, but can fly out of Atlanta, New Orleans, Orlando or Miami to get the $699 fare.

The times I got were probably skewed by sorting on the least expensive, which in turn turns out to be multiple stops and layovers.

9 hours non stop from ATL on Delta...8 hours back.

I am brain dead from trying to figure out how much time will be spent in the air or at airports, when traveling to Hawaii for a POA cruise.

For the remainder of October NCL is offering as one of the choices for perks a one night stay in a Waikiki Hotel, and the option to purchase discounted airfare. The price of airfare depends on the selected airport, but Miami, Orlando New Orleans and Atlanta is offered for $699 each. I think the west coast cities are offered from $399 each.

I did some random flight checks , not to compare pricing but to get an idea of the time required to get to Honolulu, and I am seeing times up to about 23 hours.....

I suppose these take into account the time zones, but I am confused.

What should I be looking forward to?

I thought the price was going to be a determining factor, but I do not think I want to spend 15-23 hours on the trip over and again on the trip back.

My planned cruise is way out longer than the airlines will book yet

A non-stop from Atlanta to Honolulu would be about ten hours less the 5-6 hour (depends on what time of the year you are flying) time difference. More if it is not a non-stop flight.

Coming back a non-stop would take about nine hours plus the 5-6 hour time difference. More if it is not a non-stop flight.

• 2 months later...

Thanks everyone for all the helpful hints! I am freaking out about allowing another agency to handle my air travel, but at $800 for the first two adults and $1500 for the third person flying from Boston to Honolulu in August, this looks to be a great deal!

I wonder if they consider that the third person is a child and a long voyage may be difficult... I would prefer a one stop flight.

I am thinking too that I should spend the extra 2 grand for that convenience, but not sure of the quality of the air service by NCL and if they go with the cheapest flights possible.