Coral aft vibration? A real problem or subjective?

nini

We finally pulled the trigger and booked the PC cruise on the $1.00 deposit day!

I have thoroughly researched cabin choices with CC photos and links and decided to book E736 on the Coral. It is basically above the Dolphin promenade deck and not right above the Universe Lounge. My main concern is the thruster vibration.

We have been on a few aft balconies and never minded any vibration when the ship was accelerating or slowing down and docking.

Can recent aft Coral cruisers comment on vibration issues, if any?

Thanks to all!

Not long ago we did 17 days in B731. Not a balcony but an aft-facing OV. We loved it and had absolutely zero issues with vibration. It was only a few steps from our cabin door to the aft viewing area on Baja so it was "almost" like having a balcony. The viewing deck is obviously larger than a private balcony and had a number of lounges on it. During the day I tried several times to look into our cabin through the window that faced onto the viewing deck but was completely unable to see in. At night we closed the curtains. :)

I wouldn't hesitate for an instant to book an aft cabin on Coral.

• Thanks 1

We finally pulled the trigger and booked the PC cruise on the $1.00 deposit day!

I have thoroughly researched cabin choices with CC photos and links and decided to book E736 on the Coral. It is basically above the Dolphin promenade deck and not right above the Universe Lounge. My main concern is the thruster vibration.

We have been on a few aft balconies and never minded any vibration when the ship was accelerating or slowing down and docking.

Can recent aft Coral cruisers comment on vibration issues, if any?

Thanks to all!

Have sailed the Coral many times and have never encountered vibration issues.

Contrary to what was posted above the Coral does have thrusters. There may be vibration when entering and exiting port and maneuvering. No big deal for us.

Here is a thread/question on the same cabin from last week.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2501838&highlight=coral+e736

We did the same cruise. In laws were in E736 and we were in E734.

You also have the aft viewing area right outside your door as well. (see photo below where people standing and blue decking is)

Great location.

No noise and great views! We were able to touch the sides of the canal from the balcony. :)

Here is a great website.

http://www.cruisedeckplans.com/Princess/odell/res76zxu/princessbalconies/index.html

photo-e.jpg

First the Coral uses propellers not thrusters. Only the Island seems to have compliments with vibration after it was modified.

I think you're confusing thrusters with azipods. No Princess ships use azipods.

Every cruise ship I have been on has thrusters. Thrusters are mainly used when docking, and leaving the dock, not at sea. They provide thrust to move the ship sidewards and to rotate the ship in the harbor. Most ships have both forward and aft thrusters. For the short time thrusters are in use there can be some vibration. The time is very minimal, minutes. It isn't anything to be concerned about.

For ships with propellers and rudders, as opposed to azipods, there can be periods of vibration while at sea. This can depend on the prevailing weather, most notably when there are following seas, but this will not likely be for more than one night of a cruise.

The other instance is when the blade passage rate (propeller rpm x number of blades on the propeller) as the blade passes closest to the hull at the top of the revolution equals the natural harmonic frequency of the hull itself, or even a portion of the hull, and the propeller induces an amplified vibration into the hull. Typically, the ship knows these frequencies from experience, and will avoid them whenever possible by varying the propeller speed be a single rpm or two, but sometimes the itinerary demands operation in this harmonic range.

As for "most ships have forward and aft thrusters", this is true of propeller and rudder ships, but the one major advantage of azipods is that the azipod combines propeller, rudder, and stern thruster in one unit, so azipod equipped ships will only have bow thrusters.

Sailing in C752 on Grand Princess we had some vibration as it is an aft-facing balcony cabin. As I told my wife, "I used to have to put quarters into the machine by the bed to get this nice, relaxing vibration". We didn't have an issue with it at all. :cool:

We are on the Coral now - actually sitting in a coffee shop in Juneau for free wi-fi and a great espresso. While our cabin is not totally aft (C622), we do spend a lot of time on the Caribe deck aft balcony and find zero problem when docking, leaving or at sea. I would happily book anything aft on the Coral.

The Coral doesn't have aft thrusters only front ones.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I think it would be odd for a ship that size to have shafted propulsion and not have stern thrusters. Anyway this is from the Berlitz Cruising and Cruise ships by Douglas Ward.

kejldt.jpg

The Coral doesn't have aft thrusters only front ones.

Actually it does have aft thrusters.

If you would like a picture check this page and scroll to near the bottom (second from the last picture on the page).

If guys want to insult people . Go fly a kite. I've insulted on other threads on a subject that

I've been doing for over 40 years. I'm finding to many know it all coming on this site . It the point people have become very un civil each other that the site is becoming totally useless.

Too many personal attacks are showing up.

Usually when we have cabins near the rear of Island/Coral we get woken up by the thrusters pushing us into the dock. Typically this lasts for five minutes a port. Same thing happens in bow cabins but really not a big deal for either. Only time it was annoying was one dinner in Puntarenas where the current was so strong we had to use a tug and thrusters to get away from the dock (three hours after scheduled sailing time). Hold on to the wine glass!