Is it possible to book Blu by paying an extra fee?

momofmeg

Hello there:

I lurk on these boards and have sailed all the major cruiselines for the past 40+ years. Blue was visionary because it created the "small ship" within a big ship feel that you received on Silversea or Seabourn. In the beginning, on these boards, most people said, I am not paying extra for food, another way for the cruiselines to make money, blah blah blah..etc.

Blue was half empty most nights and for the first six months it was idyllic as they used a slightly higher quality food and cooking for less people was easier and came out better all around. Buuut.....Then Blue took off and people realized that another couple of hundred dollars was worth it to have the intimacy and better food.

Then Blue went to same quality food as the main dining room, it was launched and accepted already and honestly most people didn't notice.....But the issue of crowding in blue was terrible....getting wine refills etc. As of course the suite guests who had Really Paid big $$$ for their cruise thought they deserved it....which I agree with. Thus the birth of Luminae..... The all suite dining room. Which is so far---for our last 4 cruises.....fabulous.

My advice is to skip Aqua...The cruiseline took on too much for the amount of space there and ultimately on enough cruises, you learn to skip it. My two cents. Main dining room food is fine when you eat there....no complaints and many options.....

Enjoy cruising. Many changes are coming on the new cruise ships being built.

Safe sails.

Disagree completely on the food having eaten there when it first came out and again last year.

One of the reasons Blu was somewhat empty in the beginning was suite passengers could not eat there then.

As someone who is in the restaurant business for 35 years, Blu seems to me to be a very savvy marketing technique by Celebrity to increase revenues, by lmiting who can dine there, it creates a desire to dine there, so as to eat where not everyone can, requiring more $ be spent for the illusion of being in a more elite class.

Elitism: 1. consciousness of or pride in belonging to a select or favored group.

And seriously, , the pic above doesn't look so exclusive to me....dude in the black shirt had red, white, and blue sneakers on LOL how fancy!

Edited by uglybutgoodbakery

As someone who is in the restaurant business for 35 years, Blu seems to me to be a very savvy marketing technique by Celebrity to increase revenues, by lmiting who can dine there, it creates a desire to dine there, so as to eat where not everyone can, requiring more $ be spent for the illusion of being in a more elite class.

Elitism: 1. consciousness of or pride in belonging to a select or favored group.

And seriously, , the pic above doesn't look so exclusive to me....dude in the black shirt had red, white, and blue sneakers on LOL how fancy!

Not really, we are booked in an Aqua category for the first time this next cruise, and have been sailing on Celebrity since 1994.

Only reason is we got all 3 perks, with double OBC for less than a C2.

We do not feel that Aqua nor a Concierge category are worth any more than a standard veranda. But when it was less! Shoot fire, were in!

ps: I'm 61 and bussed my first table in 1968, only 35 years, youngster!

Edited by wallie5446

Well again the feature of offering Blu to only couples (unless you book a skysuite) does not appeal to me I guess.

Your statement about couples is in error. There are plenty of singles who are in AQ or Suites and they do dine in Blu. It's not couples exclusive.

As so many posters have stated, if there are significant dietary concerns Celebrity will accommodate them in the main dining room. Wah-Wah-Wah about needing Blu- if it is that critical to dine there, then book two AQ cabins and see if DD could invite a friend to reduce the cost.

Two of my three DGS were diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes shortly after each turned 11. Their family's restaurant dining has not diminished because they chose wisely from the menu thanks to my DD's education on what is or is not an appropriate choice for them.

I don't usually get in an uproar over contentious threads, but this one has got me good!

Have you checked into how Carnival, HAL, NCL or Princess might accommodate you OP?

Like Aqua for spa. Like Blu for nice sit down breakfast just the two of us. Like Blu for no formal nights. Like knowing for dinner we will have a table for two. If it was the cheapest cabins we'd book it!

IMO there is a lot of entitlement on this thread. If we want to dine in Blu we book Aqua at a minimum. To dine in Luminae we book an S2 at minimum. You have to be ready to pay for what is important to you, not ask the cruise line to bend the rules.

One of my issues with the main dining room is when we can go with our daughter (a teacher) is we are packed in like sardines.

I do not like the pay extra restaurants because they give me way too much food, especially Tuscany. The waiters do not get that some of us do not eat that way. I am not asking for a lesser fee for the privilege of eating there, just understand if I say I do not want that much food to not bring it to me. Why do they want to pile 2000 calories on your plate? I want quality not quantity. I would rather have a small amount of very good food than a large amount of good food but not very good food.

When we eat in the specialty restaurants, we split a meal, it's never been a problem, & yes we each pay the going rate for that night.

I think you've been offered some good advice here, maybe have your daughter the teacher read this thread & tell you what she thinks... ( & I mean that in a nice way)

Have a good cruise

.....I do not like the pay extra restaurants because they give me way too much food, especially Tuscany. The waiters do not get that some of us do not eat that way. I am not asking for a lesser fee for the privilege of eating there, just understand if I say I do not want that much food to not bring it to me. Why do they want to pile 2000 calories on your plate? I want quality not quantity. I would rather have a small amount of very good food than a large amount of good food but not very good food.

One very clever trick that many of us have learned over the years is to actually tell your waiter what it is you do or do not want. You want less food on your plate? Tell the waiter! You want a certain vegetable instead of another? Tell your waiter? You want to skip a course? Tell your waiter!

It is very simple, actually. When he comes up to your table to take your order, simple explain to him what you want. It really isn't difficult. Just say the words. He will gladly comply to your requests. But he isn't a mind reader. You actually have to speak the words by forming them with your mouth so he can hear them before acting on them.

Try it next time. You might be surprised how well this clever trick works.

Also, there isn't a restaurant named "Tuscany" on Celebrity ships. Are you thinking of "Tuscan Grille"?

Edited by sloopsailor

Like Aqua for spa. Like Blu for nice sit down breakfast just the two of us. Like Blu for no formal nights. Like knowing for dinner we will have a table for two. If it was the cheapest cabins we'd book it!

And very, very often there are price cuts in AQ which put its price point below veranda cabins. I once upgraded from an inside to Aqua for $100pp for a one week cruise.

Your statement about couples is in error. There are plenty of singles who are in AQ or Suites and they do dine in Blu. It's not couples exclusive.

Families too. We book two cabins for the 4 of us and eat together in Blu and I regularly see other families and larger groups eating there. True, it is mostly couples but that's the way most people travel.

• 5 weeks later...

Of course I know that. I guess you have not read all of my posts here. I also said my daughter is a school teacher. With her salary she can't afford to pay the double fee (as a single) for that. That is why I wish the larger 280 square feet family staterooms were offered Blu. We would pay a bit more for the 2 of us than the price o a Blu balcony, but it would be less total than what she would need to pay for single occupancy in a Blu balcony with our separate Blu room.

It no longer matters, we were considering this for Thanksgiving week and nothing is left on that ship now but insides and oceanviews. Everything else is booked.

Also since others have said Blu is very crowded anyway I am not so sure I would be happy anyway. Now if the specialties offered more healthy choices I would just go for the unlimited specialty package.

Edited by momofmeg

Okay when there are 3 of us the spa rooms are out since they only house 2. Suites are usually too steep for our pocket book. We usually book concierge when there are 3 of us as that is affordable for our pocketbook.

I was wondering if for a fee we could book Blu. I know you can book a specialty restaurant package unlimited for a 7 day cruise for $210 a person. I was hoping something like that would be offered for Blu.

Any guests that are not booked in Aqua Class or Suites will not be accommodated in Blu. This rule applies even for guests that are traveling with others that are booked in Aqua Class.

The only exception to this rule is for suite guests:

• Suite guests will always be accommodated for breakfast in Blu
  • Suite guests will be accommodated for dinner based on availability

Any guests that are not booked in Aqua Class or Suites will not be accommodated in Blu. This rule applies even for guests that are traveling with others that are booked in Aqua Class.

The only exception to this rule is for suite guests:

• Suite guests will always be accommodated for breakfast in Blu
  • Suite guests will be accommodated for dinner based on availability

I am fine with that. I do ask (or suggest this) that you please offer healthy choices in the specialties.

One very clever trick that many of us have learned over the years is to actually tell your waiter what it is you do or do not want. You want less food on your plate? Tell the waiter! You want a certain vegetable instead of another? Tell your waiter? You want to skip a course? Tell your waiter!

It is very simple, actually. When he comes up to your table to take your order, simple explain to him what you want. It really isn't difficult. Just say the words. He will gladly comply to your requests. But he isn't a mind reader. You actually have to speak the words by forming them with your mouth so he can hear them before acting on them.

Try it next time. You might be surprised how well this clever trick works.

Also, there isn't a restaurant named "Tuscany" on Celebrity ships. Are you thinking of "Tuscan Grille"?

Lol I have! these poor waiters are just shocked that anyone does not want all of the food. they bring me a "small" portion which I eat maybe half and then they look so confused and say "you did not like it?" and I said, yes, but I try not to overeat.

I also find it funny is the main dining room will bring you a small desert portion, so that many just ask for several, but a similar dessert in the specialty (example, tiramisu) if 4 times the size. I guess they know many want their "money's worth." whereas I am thinking that tiramisu is so much better than the main dining room that I am very happy with only a couple of bites.

Chasing our tails here!

OP is an experienced cruiser...see signature list copied below.

AQ category not going to work for her family this cruise, due to budget or category restrictions. Maybe another time!

OP CRUISE HISTORY:

ONE HUNDRED DAYS ON A CRUISE SHIP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

146 days total.

Celebrity -40 days

Holland America-23 days

Carnival -21 days

Royal Caribbean- 19 days

NCL-18 days

Princess -21 days

Disney-4 days

I have cruised the Caribbean, east, west and southern; Alaska, Bermuda, a transatlantic which included North west Europe and East coast Canada, the Med., and a California coastal/Baja. I loved them all!

It is usually shorthand for "we can only travel during peak season".

Yes, that she can only go holiday weeks, and the fact she is not paid well.

Yes, she has tried inviting friends, but her friends can't afford Aqua. We ourselves, did not want to eat in a separate dining room from her if she got a friend to come along. Back in 2012 when we did the Mediterranean cruise with her, we were first booked in Aqua and we switched to concierge (actually later got to upgrade to a skysuite for $200 a person when prices dropped) when we learned she would be assigned to a different restaurant.

Since some of you have said that blu gets super crowded too, I doubt I would enjoy it anyway. I was under the mistaken impression it was less crowded than the main dining room. Thanksgiving week the main dining room you can barely move without bumping the chair of the person behind you

Yes I agree the main dining room has healthy choices. It was more that I wanted to go to better restaurants that offer healthy choices,( something the specialties do not offer) because the main dining room is so crowded.

and to the person who said try a different cruise line, I have been on 7, and the issue of over crowded dining rooms on holiday weeks is true on all of them. None of the other lines offer healthier choices in specialty dining either. (where we go to avoid the overcrowded main dining room)

as I have said, we decided against doing a cruise this Thanksgiving. We going to a resort at st. Simon's Island instead.

I do want to thank everyone who gave me kind replies. A few of you were nice to me. I do appreciate it.