Ft. Lauderdale Port...stay close to port or farther inland and catch a taxi?

gritsnc

We are a group of 8 cruising the Navigator during Spring Break. We will be driving straight through the day before (13 hour drive) and need a place to stay. Hotel prices near the port are HIGH for the days we are looking at (due to spring break) and so I'm wondering if we would be better off staying farther inland and catching a taxi or shuttle the morning of our cruise. I don't even know what time boarding begins.

WWYD?

We are a group of 8 cruising the Navigator during Spring Break. We will be driving straight through the day before (13 hour drive) and need a place to stay. Hotel prices near the port are HIGH for the days we are looking at (due to spring break) and so I'm wondering if we would be better off staying farther inland and catching a taxi or shuttle the morning of our cruise. I don't even know what time boarding begins.

WWYD?

why do you need taxi if you have car?

why do you need taxi if you have car?

Sorry. I wasn't very clear in my original post.

I thought most of the hotels provided free transportation to the port, but I just realized that not many do. We will be renting a car to drive down there in (another couple is riding with us so we need a larger vehicle). I had initially planned on turning it in the evening we arrived, but now I'm wondering if we should just turn it in the morning of departure somewhere near the port.

How do I move this thread? I just noticed that there is a forum specifically for Ft. Lauderdale departures.

Edited by gritsnc

I thought most of the hotels provided free transportation to the port, but I just realized that not many do. We will be renting a car to drive down there in (another couple is riding with us so we need a larger vehicle). I had initially planned on turning it in the evening we arrived, but now I'm wondering if we should just turn it in the morning of departure somewhere near the port.

How do I move this thread? I just noticed that there is a forum specifically for Ft. Lauderdale departures.

who did you book your car from? Many have spots close to the port with free shuttle to the ship

The thread will likely be moved by a moderator soon.

There are a number of rental agencies near the port with free shuttles. We've used Avis on 17th St. a couple of times and had no issues. Note that it may take 20 minutes for the shuttle to come back if it has just left for the port.

Edited by clarea

You have a few options.

1) Stay at a hotel with a shuttle.

2) Stay at any hotel and get taxis or

3) Keep the rental car and drop everyone off at the ship and then one or two of you return the car to it's rightful owner and take their shuttle back to the ship. I have found this the easiest method.

Avis have an agency 5 minutes from Port Everglades on 17th Street Hyatt Pier 66 with a free shuttle. It is MUCH easier to drop people and luggage off before returning the car as it saves unloading the car and reloading luggage into the shuttle then again unloading the luggage at the pier.

who did you book your car from? Many have spots close to the port with free shuttle to the ship

We haven't booked the car yet. I'm trying to get all info because quite frankly, I'm clueless as to what I'm doing! lol! I DO know that I need to hurry up and get on the ball being as we are going during spring break.

You have a few options.

1) Stay at a hotel with a shuttle.

2) Stay at any hotel and get taxis or

3) Keep the rental car and drop everyone off at the ship and then one or two of you return the car to it's rightful owner and take their shuttle back to the ship. I have found this the easiest method.

Avis have an agency 5 minutes from Port Everglades on 17th Street Hyatt Pier 66 with a free shuttle. It is MUCH easier to drop people and luggage off before returning the car as it saves unloading the car and reloading luggage into the shuttle then again unloading the luggage at the pier.

Thank you SO MUCH for this info! I never even thought of that. Between Christmas and the stress of my daughter applying to/visiting/getting recruit offers, to colleges (she's a senior), my brain completely forgot about out cruise. I desperately need this vacation!

Hotels don't provide free transport to the cruise terminal because of the time involved, plus that's all they would be doing for hours and hours that morning. Better to make your way over on your own.

For hotels, I would suggest looking into Pompano Beach. We have stayed several times at the Beachcomber Resort. It is right on the beach, and fabulous.

You can return the rental car to the airport and take a cab or two cabs - the price between the two points is NOT a flat rate (do not let the driver tell you that). It is always metered, and will be about $13.00 plus tip for up to 4 people.

We haven't booked the car yet. I'm trying to get all info because quite frankly, I'm clueless as to what I'm doing! lol! I DO know that I need to hurry up and get on the ball being as we are going during spring break.

Boarding time on most ships starts about 11:00 am so plan on dropping the car off around 10:00 and then getting a ride to the terminal.

I'm not a fan of going to the terminal and dropping people off and then returning by yourself. There really isn't any waiting area outside any of the terminals and the rest of your group is left standing on the sidewalk until you return. I think it is much better to keep your group together.

Whatever you do don't sign up for a shuttle from any of the hotels. They charge around $15/person ($120 for your group of 8) and you need to wait around until they fill a shuttle. 2 cabs for 8 people would only cost $30 ($15 per cab). The shuttles are the biggest scam in Fort Lauderdale and the hotel get a kick back

The Avis at the Hyatt on 17th street is a good suggestion, it is directly across the street from the Port entrance. I think there is also a Budget location a block away. These locations may have shuttles, but it may take a while during the peak period. If the shuttle is there I would take it or just take a taxi to avoid the wait. These locations are a little closer to the port and don't charge any airport fees.

Enjoy your cruise

Sorry. I wasn't very clear in my original post.

The absolutely closest rental office is Thrifty, which has one JUST outside the Port Everglades entrance. (there is more than one entrance)

But I think that they all have local offices with free shuttles to the pier.

Personally, I *always* use Thrifty and like both their prices and service.

:)

Edited by Merion_Mom

WWYD?

We're actually planning on staying several hours away from the port. We're travelling from North Alabama and it's about 14 hours. We have been travelling about 9 hours and then spending the night in Lake City, FL. We would drive the remaining five hours and spend the night in Fort Lauderdale the day before the cruise. Then we would have four or five hours prior to boarding the day of the cruise.

On our next cruise, we're driving to Ocala the day before the cruise. We're early birds so we plan on leaving Ocala around 6AM and arriving in the port area between 10AM and 11AM, just about time to board. We will save a day's expenses and a very expensive hotel stay. I'd guess about $400.

We're driving our own car and we want to drive home in one day. We self disembark in order to get on the road as early as possible so we'll park at the terminal.

If you think this thread should be moved, hit the red triangle in the upper right hand corner. This is normally used to report abuse but you can use it to contact the moderators.

Edited by RocketMan275

We just took a cruise last month from FLL. We stayed at Hampton Inn -2301 SW 12th Avenue, Fort Lauderdale, Fl, (954)-524-9900. They had a free shuttle from the airport, but, we had to pay for the shuttle to the port. It was only $6 pp. We signed up for 10:30 am. The shuttle took 8 of us and our luggage in an attached small trailer. There was no waiting to fil a shuttle we all had reservations.

The last time we took a cruise from Port Evetgalde the taxi line was long. so, we signed up for a trip from port to Airport on our return. It was $30. Maybe a little more than a txi, but, we walked out of the port door and there was a shuttle at the curb. The driver took us and another couple without waiting to fill a van.

YMMV

Good luck!

We just took a cruise last month from FLL. We stayed at Hampton Inn -2301 SW 12th Avenue, Fort Lauderdale, Fl, (954)-524-9900. They had a free shuttle from the airport, but, we had to pay for the shuttle to the port. It was only $6 pp. We signed up for 10:30 am. The shuttle took 8 of us and our luggage in an attached small trailer. There was no waiting to fil a shuttle we all had reservations.

The last time we took a cruise from Port Evetgalde the taxi line was long. so, we signed up for a trip from port to Airport on our return. It was $30. Maybe a little more than a txi, but, we walked out of the port door and there was a shuttle at the curb. The driver took us and another couple without waiting to fill a van.

YMMV

Good luck!

That's a lot more than a taxi. You almost always pay more for reserved transportation and it's not always better or faster

When we drive to Ft Lauderdale for a cruise we always stay at the LaQuinta in Hollywood. In the past they would let you park you car for free during the cruise and then have a free shuttle to the port. Returning we would just catch a cab back to the hotel to pick up our car. Just check if that is still their policy - we have always found that the cost for the hotel is less than parking at the port. It is also within walking distance of several places to eat.

Whatever you do don't sign up for a shuttle from any of the hotels. They charge around $15/person ($120 for your group of 8) and you need to wait around until they fill a shuttle. 2 cabs for 8 people would only cost $30 ($15 per cab). The shuttles are the biggest scam in Fort Lauderdale and the hotel get a kick back

Yes.

Even with 3 of us a taxi would have been cheaper than Embassy Suite's shuttle. Sigh. And we waited sooooo long, because there were a few BIG ships in port that day, and they had priority over our little Vision sailing.

That's a lot more than a taxi. You almost always pay more for reserved transportation and it's not always better or faster

No--it is not always better or faster. But, in the case going to the port it was better and faster. [cost less, too] Also, leaving the port going to the airport it was faster/easier--but about $8 more than a taxi. [for 2 of us]

I was not trying to talk you into anything, just mentioning that blanket statements made here are not always true. You need to see what works for you.

The idea of dropping people and luggage off at the port before returning a rental really depends on how busy the port is. You may sit in line entering the port for quite a while clearing security, only to have to do it again when re-entering the port after returning the car. And if it's busy, you may miss the shuttle as well. Looks like at least 4 decent to large ships there that day so if it was me, I would only want to enter the port once. Up to you though. Also, find a rental now, lock in a reservation, and then keep shopping for rental prices as the trip approaches. Mine has dropped over half for a minivan as I get into the last month before the trip.