How Many Of These Places Have You Visited?

babs135

There was some good discussion on this topic just recently on another thread.

I have been to several of the places mentioned (e.g., Santorini, Venice, Barcelona), and I agree it can be overwhelming and NOT a pleasant experience as a tourist when there are too many others and you are literally cheek by jowl. I can only imagine how it must be for locals. It is no wonder than most locals have fled Venice and now live on the mainland -- unfortunately, this has the effect of turning Venice into a sort of "Disneyland" experience for tourists -- all tourist shops, hotels, restaurants geared toward them. Like some of the other places, it ends up being destroyed by its own success.

Personally, I am in favor of some limitations on tourists visiting these places. Like a precious resource, they should be conserved. I think it's almost too late for the places I name above, but perhaps for Bhutan, Antarctica, etc. some limitations now will preserve their character for years to come.

I've been to 3. Iceland is the only place on the list I have a desire to see. The other places can relax as I won't be burdening them

Fwiw...I remember only a few years back when Iceland was not doing well economically and had very little tourism. They should be thanking their lucky stars tourism came back and their economy improved. But I digress.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 2 weeks later...

Went to Oslo 30 years ago, but don't think that's what they meant. Barcelona last year, which is touristy, but then again so are lots of places; we were there off season though, so not especially crowded.

Did an Icelandic cruise last week, and yes, so many tourists it did feel like Iceland-land at Epcot at times. Definitely a hot, "in" destination these days.

Six for us. Galapagos Islands, twice. Unless they have changed the Galapagos already restricts the number of visitors. Santorini was nice but I wouldn't go back. Iceland was very interesting. Wasn't at Barcelona long enough to really see it all. Just overnight. Went to an island in Australia (Dunk Island) that was later wiped out by a hurricane. Probably similar to the one shown.

Since its been a while for all of them I really can't comment on current conditions.

We have visited 4 of places on list.

Santorini, Greece

Barcelona, Spain ( 8 cruise ships in port on one day, crowded)

Zion National Park (was difficult to arrange a cruise for this visit.) :D

Venice, Italy

Would like to visit most of the remaining spots on this list.

bob

Been to a few. I do worry about the impact of tourism in some of the more fragile ecosystems but it is hard to convince people to preserve places without also letting people explore them.

I love remote places with unique topography, extreme weather, etc. I love being made to feel small by nature.

Only 3 -- Galapagos (but that was > 20 years ago), Zion, and Barcelona. None of the others on the list are places I'd like to go anyway. Of the three I've been to, Zion National Park is the only one I'd want to go back to. As much as I loved my Galapagos trip (12 people on a 100' yacht), it's not the same place it was.

I do wish people would stay away from Antarctica. Seriously. If you love it, don't go.

Edited by calliopecruiser
grammar