Getting from airport to Crown Princess in Seattle

West Texas Gal

Hi. We are scheduled to go to Alaska on the Crown Princess in June. What is the best method of getting from the airport to the ship? There are three of us.

Also, if we can get to the airport by noon, do we have enough time to get to the ship when it is scheduled to leave at 4 pm? Or, should we plan to spend the night prior to the day we leave?

The Princess line sells "transfers." Is that a good way to go? As you can tell, I know nothing.

Thanks for your help.

First - Welcome to Cruise Critic

You should have no problem catching a cab or private transport from the airport to the pier at the time you state. With that said....I would highly recommend flying in the day before. Just in case of flight delay's or cancellations, etc.

What I personally would do would be to jump on the light rail from the airport or catch a cab to one of the hotels downtown. The airport is not in the city. About a 30 min train/cab ride to downtown. There you could check into a hotel and enjoy the sites, such as the Space Needle in Seattle Center. It is then a short cab ride to the pier. You will arrive for your first day of your cruise rested and earlier enough to enjoy your lunch in the main dining room (rather than at the buffet)

Let's think about it.

3 people?

What's that? 3 pieces of luggage? Maybe 4 (could just all have their own carry-on, but, let's go the other way).

All cabs in Seattle are Toyota Prius. Therefore, 3 pieces of luggage plus 3 people are out. Or,, take 2 cabs,,,, now we're talking cash.

Could hire a private limo,,, that's the way I would go. (I always use http://www.shuttleexpress.com and select private car)

The Princess transfer is also a good option.

Flights??? that's the tricky one

You say you arrive at noon.

You would have plenty of time to make the ship.

But really???

What if???

That plane is late by an hour or so, you'll be waving bye bye as the ship sails away without you.

Want to be stress free? Come in a day early at least. Stay down at the Edgewater (where the Beatles stayed and fished out the window), enjoy a nice meal the night before, walk the water front, get up early and watch your ship come in.

Edited by klfrodo

It's been a couple years but when we took our Alaskan cruise out of Seattle Princess had a transport area (along with all the other cruise ships) in the terminal.

We actually flew in 3 days early spent time in Seattle then on the day to leave on our cruise we headed back to the airport and caught the shuttle to the port. Very easy and organized.

We always arrive at least one day early. Just too many risks. When we fly across the pond we always have a minimum of two days.

When we cruised from Seattle we combined it with a week long trip seeing some of the Cascade mountains as well as enjoying Seattle. It really is a great port to tour from if you can combine your cruise with a few days land based holiday first.

Hope you manage to book great flights and enjoy your cruise.

1 day early is ample...unless you really want time to explore your port city. Flying in the day of is risky...even in June! You know how the airlines are...one mechanical problem somewhere else can throw off an entire airline's schedule!

All cabs in Seattle are Toyota Prius.

That is a ridiculous statement. I know I've seen other makes/models driving around Seattle. Maybe you meant just the cabs that serve the airport taxi stand? I guess that's a possibility but still hard to believe that every cab there is a Prius. Also, OP didn't mention if the 3rd person is an adult or a small child. That would certainly make a difference.

We actually flew in 3 days early spent time in Seattle then on the day to leave on our cruise we headed back to the airport and caught the shuttle to the port. Very easy and organized.
Were you staying near the airport? I wouldn't recommend this to anyone staying downtown. A lot of backtracking.

To answer a couple of questions: It will be three adults. Each will probably have a bigger type suitcase and some sort of carry on.

We don't know where to stay. I guess somewhere it would be very easy to catch the Princess shuttle--if that's a good option.

It doesn't need to be glamorous. Just a place to sleep. We don't even want to spend that night, but I'm becoming nervous that we could have trouble and miss the ship's departure.

Any suggestions on a place to stay? Would it be better to stay right there at the airport? We will probably be arriving late evening or night.

Maybe you meant just the cabs that serve the airport taxi stand? I guess that's a possibility g.

Yes, that's what I was saying.

Any suggestions on a place to stay? Would it be better to stay right there at the airport? We will probably be arriving late evening or night.

If you're coming in a day early and you would be arriving at night, then Yes, stay near the airport.

Most of the hotels near the airport have free shuttle pick-up, spend the night, then take the shuttle back to the airport to meet your Princess people for transfer to the ship.

The hotel options are budget to high end. Your choice.

Just google Hotels near SEATAC airport.

Hi. We are scheduled to go to Alaska on the Crown Princess in June. What is the best method of getting from the airport to the ship? There are three of us.

Also, if we can get to the airport by noon, do we have enough time to get to the ship when it is scheduled to leave at 4 pm? Or, should we plan to spend the night prior to the day we leave?

The Princess line sells "transfers." Is that a good way to go? As you can tell, I know nothing.

Thanks for your help.

Is is scheduled to sail at 4:00 PM or is that the last boarding time? If the latter, you are really pushing at but you will probably make it.

It the former, you have to be on board 90 minutes before it sails which means that you have to be on board 2:30. Assume that your plane lands at 12:00 which means that by the time you get off the plane, walk to baggage pickup, wait till your baggage gets off the plane, walk to transportation and board your cab - it will probably be 12:45. That gives you 1 hour 45 minutes wiggle room. Do you want to bet your cruise on 1 hour 45 minutes.

Get there a day early. Also, Seattle is a neat city.

DON

Thanks for your replies. I got us in at the Hampton Inn. It's supposed to be very close to the airport, and it has a shuttle that goes back and forth between the airport and the hotel. I'm sure that will work out better than trying to get there and leave on the cruise on the same day. Again, thanks for your help!

Seattle is a wonderful city. If you are able, you might wish to spend at least one day overnight and see a bit of it. Pike's Market is such fun, food is terrific, Chululy Glass Exhibit is outstanding.....

I would suggest hiring a car in advance as the taxis at the airport are quite small. If you have a large suitcase each, they might not fit the luggage in the taxi.

The cost is about the same for taxi or hired car and driver reserved in advance.

Thanks for your replies. I got us in at the Hampton Inn. It's supposed to be very close to the airport, and it has a shuttle that goes back and forth between the airport and the hotel. I'm sure that will work out better than trying to get there and leave on the cruise on the same day. Again, thanks for your help!

There are two Hampton Inns at Seatac. Both are close to the airport.:)

Hey West Texas Gal, I used to live in Seattle (live in Dallas now) and you should stay in Seattle - it is an incredible city and very friendly with so much to do and see. It is very walkable. Consider HotelFIVE which is quite inexpensive and centrally located in easy walking distance to most attractions. Seattle is a very walkable city, so you will be able to walk just about anywhere you want to go or take a quick and inexpensive cab ride. Don't miss:

Space Needle

Pike's Place Market (see them throw big fish - grab in inexpensive meal)

Waterfront - there is an Aquarium, shopping and restaurants and the Seattle Great Wheel ferris wheel

SciFi museum

Seattle-Bainbridge Island ferry ($7.70 pp - great way to go sightseeing for very little money!) Board at Pier 52

On Pier 54 there is Ye Olde Curiosity Shop which has been around forever. It is a great place to get cheap souvenirs and they have a number of oddities in the shop including the Petrified Man and Dehydrated Woman.

Seattle is known for art glass including something you will see often called Mt. St. Helen's emeralds - these are actually synthetic gemstones made from the ashes of Mt. St. Helen's. You can get one inexpensively in the gift shop at the foot of the Space Needle. There is a restaurant in the Space Needle and a great view of Seattle and Puget Sound. Definitely go up there and have a look around if it is clear.