Anyone do "Formal Night" anymore?

iluvcruises

I have been on many cruises and I know little by little people no longer get formally dressed for dinners. I actually enjoy these nights but was wondering how it works on the Breakaway. Is there such a thing since everyone is doing their own thing with all the different restaurants? Evening lobster is now being served in the buffet. Anyone still getting dressed up? Thanks for any info :)

Dress up when you want to. Freestyle means be free to adopt your own style. If formal is your style, puff out your chest and be proud to show it off. Just be prepared to sit next to some guy in shorts and a t shirt!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I have been on many cruises and I know little by little people no longer get formally dressed for dinners. I actually enjoy these nights but was wondering how it works on the Breakaway. Is there such a thing since everyone is doing their own thing with all the different restaurants? Evening lobster is now being served in the buffet. Anyone still getting dressed up? Thanks for any info :)

There are no formal nights on NCL. You can make your own formal nights though. I see lots of ladies in nice dresses and guys in button down shirts and even some ties, but suits are few and far between on NCL as are long formal dresses for ladies.

We just did our first NCL cruise on the Breakaway in September. We had no idea what to expect. Hubby and I dressed every single night. He in a sports jacket and me in a cocktail dress. We NEVER felt out of place. Many people still opt to dress for dinner and many don't.

Have a great time....FABULOUS SHIP

My family and I went on the Dawn November 2013 and the first picture night (I believe it was the first sea day) we dressed up for our pictures and then had a reservation at a speciality restaurant afterwards. That way we could do both in one night and most of the speciality resturants are really nice. My brother in law had on a suit and the ladies in the group had on nice dresses with heels, hair fixed, etc. It's just whatever YOU and your family want to do. Don't think that dressing up will make you feel out of place. Good luck & happy cruising!

On the Breakaway March cruise to

Bahamas , I saw more passengers dressed

For a night out. I didn't see any shorts

Sneakers or flip flops

In March? Spring Break and You didn't sea sneakers, shorts or flip flops in the MDR's? If you were looking for these like some folks do I am quite certain that you would have found them.

We just did our first NCL cruise on the Breakaway in September. We had no idea what to expect. Hubby and I dressed every single night. He in a sports jacket and me in a cocktail dress. We NEVER felt out of place. Many people still opt to dress for dinner and many don't.

Have a great time....FABULOUS SHIP

That's our style also :D. I think it's one of our better habits. We've been doing this for so long that it would feel odd not to dress up for dinner while on a cruise ship :eek:. Just look for the guy on The Getaway in the tux or dinner jacket and the gorgeous blonde in the long gown, that would be us :).

Edited by miataman19

"You can never be overdressed or overeducated" ~Oscar Wilde

We dress up every night ;-)

Sure you can. For instance, I'm not going to a hog roast or a tailgate party in a formal gown. ;)

We tend to be more casual simply because our son is along. It's not worth it to us to buy him formal clothes that will only fit him less than a year and be worn once. When we travel without him, we tend to dress better. For now, we simply dress slightly above the dress code, but nothing formal. (We prefer to all eat dinner together.) Our son will wear nice khakis and collared shirts. That's as good as it gets now.

I do have pictures of our son in a full tux on a RCI cruise when he was 11 months old that are priceless. :)

My wife and I just got off the Gem in March. We dress up on "formal" night to have photos with the Captain and dinner. I wear a tux while my wife wears an evening gown. We are looked at by fellow passengers that is for sure. The first cruise on the Sky we did not dress up. On the Norway we dressed up for that ship and had a blast. We just kept on dressing up because it is fun. I know dressing up is in the past and it is hard to bring a tux and evening gown for just one night. As long as we can we will dress up and have photos with the Captain.

about the only time you will see many dressed up is for pictures on formal optional nights. Yes, there are a few who like the dressing up idea and if you do, you will not stand out like a sore thumb, but you will be in the minority. The only restaurant you are likely to see people dressed a little more formal will be in Le Bistro.

My wife and I loved dressing up on past cruises (other lines). Went on the Epic in March and wore a suit on "formal" night.....I felt out of place as I was basically the only person dressed up. Moving forward we will leave ALL formal clothes behind.

6&8

My boyfriend and I will be taking our first ever cruise on the Breakaway in September and both of us enjoy dressing up periodically. We came into this knowing NCL has no true formal night like other lines, but we've already decided we're going to check out Le Bistro for one dinner and make that our own little formal night. Neither of us cares if people stare because we like looking good for each other.

That's our style also :D. I think it's one of our better habits. We've been doing this for so long that it would feel odd not to dress up for dinner while on a cruise ship :eek:. Just look for the guy on The Getaway in the tux or dinner jacket and the gorgeous blonde in the long gown, that would be us :).

And I will be the gorgeous brunette and hubby in dinner jacket :o

Oh, the days of the tux. DH gave it up a few years ago..:(

Celebrity seemed to be the only ship that had more than 2 men with a tux on...lol

My husband usually wears a polo and khakis and I usually wear some type of dress with heels. Nothing to fancy. For our up coming cruise I am planning on dressing our girls in dresses every night for dinner also. This will be their first cruise.

I am wondering if there is a difference between sailings in the US and sailings in Europe.

We have noticed a fair proportion of folks on Med sailings dressing up somewhat (not necessarily tuxes (DJs for the Brits) but certainly some rather glamorous designer gear for the ladies;) (especially the Italian pax - more Armani than you can shake a stick at). I can completely agree with leaving the suit/tux at home due to hot Caribbean or Mediterranean weather or air luggage restrictions. I have to drag our luggage so I try to pack as light as possible.:D

Personally a collared shirt and chinos is my usual evening time dress (maybe a jacket for the Captains/Latitudes party). DW's is long dress/nice top and a bit of bling. Christmas and New Year are obviously rather more dressy as well.

I have often noticed (when people watching over a martini or three), that the baseball cap/T shirt/flip-flop types look uncomfortable when the glad rags come out and they scuttle off to change.

I've not sailed in the US so things might be quite different there.

Just a theory with no empirical evidence...