Never flown Southwest before

nbsjcruiser

DW and I have booked a flight on Southwest for the first time. We also purchased the early bird fare for an extra $20 or whatever it was. I have this vision in my head that its almost a free-for-all with people clamouring for seats. I'm sure that's not the case of course but can someone give me an idea how I should go about preparing to get two seats together for us? I assume we'll be in one of the early groups considering we bought the early bird stuff. Should I forget about a seat up front and head to the middle or back of the plane? Any hints would be appreciated.

With early bird you will almost always be able to get seats together up front. The highest I have had with it is the low Bs, which would be number 50 or so on the plane and usually those people are spread out. The first 15 are set aside for Biz Select and usually there aren't 15 people with those tickets. If available, you can pay extra for those boarding slots.

However with SWA there is always an exception. It also depends on the popularity of the route and if you are a stop on a through flight or if your city is the flight origin. I have seen a BWI-STL-LAS flight where 125 people stayed on the plane in STL. This means that if you were getting on in STL, not only would your A16 pass mean there were already 125 people in seats on the plane when you boarded, but also, after they did a passenger count, those people still on the plane were free to change seats. If that was the case, who knows what you would be stuck with even with a low number.

I love flying Southwest. The boarding is not as bad as it sounds. You will be given a group (A, B, or C) and a number on your Boarding pass. Since you purchased Early Bird you will probably be near the end of the A group or in the early B group.

When it is time to board they will board passengers needing assistance first, then will call A group to line up. There is a numbered queue spot in the boarding area. So you just line up wherever your number is in the queue. They then board A group by number. After A group, they board families with small children and then B and C groups, again in numerical order.

When you board, just grab the first set of seats you see that you like. My husband and I can usually find two together right around the exit rows and we don't do Early Bird often so are usually in the mid-B group.

Hope that helps!

Southwest is awesome! I've flown them for over 20 years. And over the years their boarding process has gotten better. It used to be a cattle car stampede. Now, you will be in a boarding group, A, B or C with a number on your boarding pass. You will board in that order. Also check your flight. If the flight is coming from somewhere else and then continuing to your designation, there might be people already on board.

A plus to Southwest is that they have the largest leg room than American Coach seats, no baggage fees and if you have to change your flight; there is no outrageous change fee; just pay the difference.

Southwest is awesome! I've flown them for over 20 years. And over the years their boarding process has gotten better. It used to be a cattle car stampede. Now, you will be in a boarding group, A, B or C with a number on your boarding pass. You will board in that order. Also check your flight. If the flight is coming from somewhere else and then continuing to your designation, there might be people already on board.

A plus to Southwest is that they have the largest leg room than American Coach seats, no baggage fees and if you have to change your flight; there is no outrageous change fee; just pay the difference.

They also have wonderful middle seats -- lots of leg room with no seat legs in the way. I prefer one on SW to an aisle or window seat.

I love flying Southwest. The boarding is not as bad as it sounds. You will be given a group (A, B, or C) and a number on your Boarding pass. Since you purchased Early Bird you will probably be near the end of the A group or in the early B group.

When it is time to board they will board passengers needing assistance first, then will call A group to line up. There is a numbered queue spot in the boarding area. So you just line up wherever your number is in the queue. They then board A group by number. After A group, they board families with small children and then B and C groups, again in numerical order.

When you board, just grab the first set of seats you see that you like. My husband and I can usually find two together right around the exit rows and we don't do Early Bird often so are usually in the mid-B group.

Hope that helps!

Thanks for the tips. I had a quick look at the Southwest site and saw this about early bird check in:

EarlyBird Check-In Customers will have their boarding positions reserved beginning 36 hours prior to their flight's scheduled departure time. Boarding Passes can be accessed beginning 24 hours prior to the flight's scheduled local departure time.

So does this mean that I can log in anytime during the 24 hour window and print my boarding pass? I assume that the number will already be on the boarding pass at that time.

So does this mean that I can log in anytime during the 24 hour window and print my boarding pass? I assume that the number will already be on the boarding pass at that time.
If you've got Early Bird, you don't need to print your boarding pass in advance at all. On the assumption that you will be checking a bag anyway, you can just get your boarding pass at the airport at the same time. AIUI, the boarding number will be the same whenever you print the boarding pass.

Thanks for the tips. I had a quick look at the Southwest site and saw this about early bird check in:

EarlyBird Check-In Customers will have their boarding positions reserved beginning 36 hours prior to their flight's scheduled departure time. Boarding Passes can be accessed beginning 24 hours prior to the flight's scheduled local departure time.

Yes, with Early Bird there's no need to rush to check in exactly 24 hours before the flight. Just log in anytime and print your boarding pass. We use Early Bird when we won't be home at that exact moment (24 hours before flight time) and that is usually only at the end of a cruise. No need to worry about using ship's internet to try getting a good boarding number. You will love it!

If you end up boarding in the A group, there is a good chance you might find 2 seats together in the first 10 or so rows, but it pays to keep your eyes up and look ahead to the exit rows. My dad and I were flying ATL-DEN on New Year's Day and managed to get 11D/E on the 737-700. TONS of extra leg room. We had EBCI and our boarding number was something like A24. On our connecting flight to Spokane, were around A33 and just missed getting those same seats.

We'll be using SWA .... 3 adults one toddler ... we have purchased the early bird ... If I board early with him would it be best to head towards the back of the plane and hope that the other adults flying with us would have a better chance to sit next to us ?

We'll be using SWA .... 3 adults one toddler ... we have purchased the early bird ... If I board early with him would it be best to head towards the back of the plane and hope that the other adults flying with us would have a better chance to sit next to us ?

Southwest uses 737's with 3-3 seating. If you find an empty row and your toddler is old enough, sit in one aisle seat and put your toddler in the aisle seat across from you. Likely people will avoid sitting next to him or her like the plague, and the other two in your party can then take the middle and window next to him/her when they board. Alternatively, you sit in the aisle and put your toddler in the middle; no one will want to crawl over and sit next to a toddler so you'll have at least one additional seat pretty much guaranteed for another person in your party.

Southwest uses 737's with 3-3 seating. If you find an empty row and your toddler is old enough, sit in one aisle seat and put your toddler in the aisle seat across from you. Likely people will avoid sitting next to him or her like the plague, and the other two in your party can then take the middle and window next to him/her when they board. Alternatively, you sit in the aisle and put your toddler in the middle; no one will want to crawl over and sit next to a toddler so you'll have at least one additional seat pretty much guaranteed for another person in your party.

Sounds like this might work with both of us taking an aisle seat when we board...Once the two other adults get on we'll move him (3 years old) to the window seat. Is it best to go towards the back of the plane then?

Thanks so much for your suggestion.

Reminds me of Greyhound but it works. My favorite aspect of SW is there is always another later flight although I have never had a problem like on UA.
But if you are on the last departure of the evening, that later flight would be the next day. And just how is this a positive aspect to WN?

(I have absolutely NO idea if this is a feature on Air Namibia)

Sounds like this might work with both of us taking an aisle seat when we board...Once the two other adults get on we'll move him (3 years old) to the window seat. Is it best to go towards the back of the plane then?

Thanks so much for your suggestion.

Probably? It's a little hard to say. If the flight segment you're on is a continuation of a prior flight, there may be many people who got on at the prior airport and are staying aboard, so even if you're the first ones to board the plane there's no telling what the situation will be. Likely though, anyone staying on will have moved more toward the front so probably a better chance of finding an empty row toward the back.

One thing: Even if you find an empty exit row and like the look of the extra legroom, don't sit there under any cirumstances! Small children aren't allowed in exit rows (have to be old enough to assist in an emergency), and by the time a flight attendant notices and makes you move, you could find yourself with nothing left but separated middle seats!!

Parents with a child do not board first. They board after the A group. So you may not be getting on by yourself, dependent of what boarding number you all wind up with.

Parents with a child do not board first. They board after the A group. So you may not be getting on by yourself, dependent of what boarding number you all wind up with.

Post is not entirely clear, but I think they are saying they purchased Early Bird Check In for 1 adult and the toddler, while the other 2 adults do not have EBCI.

Probably? It's a little hard to say. If the flight segment you're on is a continuation of a prior flight, there may be many people who got on at the prior airport and are staying aboard, so even if you're the first ones to board the plane there's no telling what the situation will be. Likely though, anyone staying on will have moved more toward the front so probably a better chance of finding an empty row toward the back.

One thing: Even if you find an empty exit row and like the look of the extra legroom, don't sit there under any cirumstances! Small children aren't allowed in exit rows (have to be old enough to assist in an emergency), and by the time a flight attendant notices and makes you move, you could find yourself with nothing left but separated middle seats!!

No..luckily we're on the originating flight LAX....we continue thru ATL-FLL. Thanks again for your help.

Post is not entirely clear, but I think they are saying they purchased Early Bird Check In for 1 adult and the toddler, while the other 2 adults do not have EBCI.

Sorry I wasn't entirely clear with my "we". All of us do indeed have early bird. So possibly there may be no option to board early...how many groups board early and just who is in these groups. We've (2 adults) only used SWA one time and we were B6 &B7. I did purchase my tickets for this upcoming flight a long time ago does that make a difference where your EB boarding number will fall. ?

Sorry I wasn't entirely clear with my "we". All of us do indeed have early bird. So possibly there may be no option to board early...how many groups board early and just who is in these groups. We've (2 adults) only used SWA one time and we were B6 &B7. I did purchase my tickets for this upcoming flight a long time ago does that make a difference where your EB boarding number will fall. ?
Yes, the earlier you purchased the EB the lower the number on your boarding number.

Incidentally, since I moved from St. Louis to Georgia (rural area outside Atlanta), the more people I find on the flight continuing on and already on the plane when I board. St. Louis was usually an originating city and not a continuing on city like Atlanta is. My boarding number has suffered a lot since moving here.

DW and I have booked a flight on Southwest for the first time. We also purchased the early bird fare for an extra $20 or whatever it was. I have this vision in my head that its almost a free-for-all with people clamouring for seats. I'm sure that's not the case of course but can someone give me an idea how I should go about preparing to get two seats together for us? I assume we'll be in one of the early groups considering we bought the early bird stuff. Should I forget about a seat up front and head to the middle or back of the plane? Any hints would be appreciated.

You may consider cancelling one of the EB upcharges...in my experience, if you are traveling together the chances of the first one on with EB "saving" a seat for the other one is extremely high. YMMV

You may consider cancelling one of the EB upcharges...in my experience, if you are traveling together the chances of the first one on with EB "saving" a seat for the other one is extremely high. YMMV

It is my understanding, though I may be wrong since I do not fly Southwest, that saving seats is against their rules.

If I want a seat that you say you are saving I have every right to sit in it per the rules.

I believe the EB add-on is non-refundable,