Chilkoot Tours Yukon-Rail-Bus

nyc12345

We did the Chilkoot Tour August 2015 and took the train up and then got on the bus. The clouds were a little settled in still when we took the train up but it was still beautiful so I'm not sure it matters which you do first. I am on the Crown tomorrow and plan on doing this same excursion through Chilkoot but this time taking the bus up and train down. I don't know if it really matters and I don't think you can go wrong going with Chilkoot.

This was our favorite excursion and it was great to have a smaller group, our own car on the train, a smaller 12 person charter bus and an awesome guide that would stop whenever we wanted to stop. Her name was "Stanley" and I hope that she might be up there again this year.

We did the Chilkoot Tour August 2015 and took the train up and then got on the bus. The clouds were a little settled in still when we took the train up but it was still beautiful so I'm not sure it matters which you do first. I am on the Crown tomorrow and plan on doing this same excursion through Chilkoot but this time taking the bus up and train down. I don't know if it really matters and I don't think you can go wrong going with Chilkoot.

This was our favorite excursion and it was great to have a smaller group, our own car on the train, a smaller 12 person charter bus and an awesome guide that would stop whenever we wanted to stop. Her name was "Stanley" and I hope that she might be up there again this year.

Have a great trip! I would love to hear your comparison between the two trips.

When we did the train/bus tour (in that order) in 2012 with Chilkoot they had the last train car which meant that the viewing platform had unimpeded views down the mountain as we traveled up the Pass. When the train returns to Skagway you wouldn't have that vantage.

We did this same trip last year and we also had " Stanley" - she was great !!

this is one of the best excursions we have ever taken!!

We did the Chilkoot Tour...We did bus first. The people at Chilkoot are so nice and so helpful, I suggest you call them, and ask them their opinion. We were so glad we booked with Chilkoot, rather than the ship.

I have done the Yukon rail/bus excursion twice with Chilkoot Charters. The first time it was raining in the morning, then cleared up once we were in the Yukon. The second time the day started out fine, but the weather deteriorated by the time we were on the bus back to Skagway. Since there is no way to predict the weather on the day you'll be in Skagway - I'd choose the option (train or bus first) that best fits your schedule.

We booked this tour for July, so excited! I think ours is doing bus first, train second. But it probably doesn't matter since the weather is unpredictable. I'm sure it'll be beautiful no matter what! :)

Not sure what train is described. The "Yukon" train, goes to Lake Bennett. Some days you have no choice as only 3 days go in both directions. I have done both, and equally excellent. The views, I find different depending on direction. This is a train ride I never tire out, really loaded with history and scenery. Either direction will offer a great trip.

Book early or call to make your reservation with Chilkoot. Im sure they will know what ships match with departures. There website makes you feel like you are booking a time slot but its actually just a reservation request. I booked the same am trip via the website and booked an afternoon trip to zip line. Then got the reply that their morning trips were full. They seemed good, just wish the availability aspect was more clear. Oh well, we are stuck doing the Summit train up & back.

Mimi9095

We are on the Crown Princess on the 13th, the day you get off. Would love to hear a quick review if you get

this message before th 13th. I hope you are having a wonderful time!

Edited by Rockinrobin50

We had Stanley in June 2013! She was great. We just loved her. Back then, she had talked about leaving and going to the country of Georgia and becoming a balloonist (or something like that). So nice to hear that she either stayed or came back after a small time away.

We did the train up and bus back. On the train ride up it was pouring rain, but once we got to the top, the rain had stopped and the clouds were starting to dissipate. We had a wonderful bus tour and then on the way back down, it started raining again and the fog rolled in. Stanley dropped some people off in town to do some extra sight seeing, but since my youngest was on crutches, we opted to go back to the ship and she dropped us right at the security hut so we could catch a golf cart right away. This was probably our second favorite excursion - only eclipsed by our flightseeing in Ketchikan.

When we did the train/bus tour (in that order) in 2012 with Chilkoot they had the last train car which meant that the viewing platform had unimpeded views down the mountain as we traveled up the Pass. When the train returns to Skagway you wouldn't have that vantage.

Does anyone know if Chilkoot always has the last car on the train? We have booked a White Pass Summit trip with them in July and are certainly hoping so!

I have seen mentions of this.. and I think it is one of those 'iffy' subjects.

I have not done this excursion, and I make no claim to be an expert. But, based on quite a bit of research and trip planning I will take a stab at it.

Many people seem to report that with Chilkoot they were, indeed, in the last car. I am going to make a guess here and say that they do usually have the last car when heading UP to White Pass. I believe that I have read that, once at the top, the train can either turn around, which would mean that Chilkoot retains the last car. Or, they can switch the engine, would mean that now this car is the first car.

If these factors are true, then I would make a guess that those on the way up in the mornings have a good chance at being assigned that last car. But, after that, then you could not be sure????

PS: Again, just trying to be of help.... It seems that I have also heard that choosing the train first, heading from Skagway up the mountains, means that the train ride is much slower than the descent back down to Skagway. Maybe photographers like this, as they have more time to set up and capture photographs???

Edited by Wishing on a star

I booked this tour two days ago. I got an email that they received my request and that I would get a confirmation in 24 hours, but it's been 48 hours. I guess I'll contact them again.

Jessica

We arrive in the Skagway port at 7:00am. The Chilkoot train leaves at 7:30am? Do we have enough time or is that pushing it?

They're great about getting you to the train in time. Pretty sure the ships are in port prior to 7:00am. We just need to be on time with getting up for breakfast and getting off the ship on time.

I was on the first train up the mountain in 2012. I was doing the Bennett Scenic Journey. When we left Skagway Yard I was in the third car of the train.

In the first two cars were people from the Princess Bennett Tour. In the cars behind us were tour groups from cruise ships heading to Fraser. After the stop in Fraser, we dropped the rear cars on the siding there and we were the last car from there on.

In reading the WP&Y RR schedules it would appear that the first Fraser train runs the same as it did back then. This train boards in the yards - Chilkoot will pick you up at the pier and deliver you to the proper train car for your journey. I do know that the only people in our car were the ones going to Carcross from Chilkoot and one other tour vendor - there were 5 of us for Chilkoot and 7 others. BTW The two Princess cars were packed :D

Does anyone know if Chilkoot always has the last car on the train? We have booked a White Pass Summit trip with them in July and are certainly hoping so!

When I called them for reservations, I asked the woman if they always had the last car. She said that they did not always have the last car but frequently did. So I guess there is no guarantee.

Does someone have a good guess as to how far out to book the excursion through this company? I sail jul 2017; so when should I look to book this excursion? Thanks

Does someone have a good guess as to how far out to book the excursion through this company? I sail jul 2017; so when should I look to book this excursion? Thanks

a couple months prior, if you want Lake Bennett. Can be shorter for other tours.

Back in 2013, I don't believe we had the last car. We were close though- maybe 2nd or 3rd last? Didn't really pay a whole lot of attention.

Any experience on bus only tour to White pass with Chilkoot? Combination bus and train seems very interesting, however, looking for bus only tour for 2.5 hours and I am solliciting information and advice on bus tour only from past customers with them? Thank you