Not the way I wanted to end the cruise

Pam in CA

If you were on the Coral Princess a couple of days ago and heard the call for blood, that was for my brother-in-law. :( He woke up late Wednesday morning with chills, shaking and difficulty breathing so my sister called 911. They rushed him to the medical center where they discovered that he had internal bleeding. He had a high (104) temp that they were able to control. If we were closer to land, they would have done a medivac. As it was, we wouldn't be close enough until 9pm at night so a medivac would have been a very last resort.

He was disembarked first thing this morning and rushed to the Broward General Hospital and operated on for a ruptured bowel, removing part of his colon and inserting a colostomy bag. There was extensive "sewage" in his abdomen and the surgeon cleaned out what he could. He's in the ICU in critical condition and will be kept under for perhaps a couple of days. It's going to be touch and go. :( I've remained here in Ft. Lauderdale to be with my sister and assist her.

The Princess doctors on the Coral were incredible, and as the surgeon said, were "spot on" with their diagnosis and treatment, given they couldn't operate. The Princess reps have been terrific to my sister and myself, helping us disembark, getting hotel rooms (with free shuttle to the hospital), and we'll be seeing them tomorrow to go over what else needs to be done. Princess insurance has already called several times to make sure everything is being done. I can't say enough about all of them.

Please, please don't leave home without insurance. He had no symptoms and no previous history of any intestinal issues. You just never know when you'll need it and when you do, you are so thankful it's there.

Please say prayers for my BIL. He's going to need all of them. My sister too as she's scared to death, anxious and very upset.

Pam - definitely sending my prayers. I think this is all of our worst nightmares about being on a ship and having something like this happen.

A friend of mine's mother broke her hip on the ship (before it left FLL) and also said kudos about the Princess staff in FLL in assisting them (rides to the bank, back and fourth to the hospital, help making arrangements). So glad there are people there to assist in these situations.

Please keep us informed when you can.

Pam, I'm so very, very sorry this happened. All my good thoughts and best wishes go out to him, your sister, and you. Please do take care of yourself and your sister, too: it won't help your brother-in-law if you two wear yourselves ragged with worry and stress.

Pam - definitely sending my prayers. I think this is all of our worst nightmares about being on a ship and having something like this happen.

A friend of mine's mother broke her hip on the ship (before it left FLL) and also said kudos about the Princess staff in FLL in assisting them (rides to the bank, back and fourth to the hospital, help making arrangements). So glad there are people there to assist in these situations.

Please keep us informed when you can.

Would that have happened on the Ruby in Nov by any chance?

Pam, so sorry to hear about this happening to your BIL, sister and you. I am saying prayers for all of you. I am glad to hear the insurance situation is going smoothly. I'm sure that is one less thing to have to be concerned about. Again, many prayers for all of you.

Pam I'm so sorry! My DH went through the same thing 6 years ago on Thanksgiving. It was the most frightening thing to face. He is fine now though. I know what your sister is going through. If she wants to talk with someone who has walked in her shoes and knows there's light at the end of the tunnel just let me know and I will get you my email address. My thoughts and prayers are with your family!!

Archived