Documents Snafu--A Warning

kitty9

In the current edition of Conde Nast Traveler, there is an article in their Ombudsman section from a family who were booked on a cruise but were denied boarding because the wife did not have all the required documentation. The cruise was to the Bahamas, and when the couple found out that they didn't have all the required documents, they would not leave the ship in Nassau, but they were told that things were not done that way--that even if you stay on board the ship, you still must have all the required documents. The wife is a legal immigrant/resident from Mexico, with all the proper paperwork from the US stating her legal status. They brought all of that with them, along with her birth certificate, Green Card, US driver's license and marriage license, but still they were denied boarding because the wife did not have a passport from Mexico. They were told that regardless of the legal status of any person living in the US, when they cruise they must have a passport from their country of birth. She did not have this, so no cruise. Ombudsman could do nothing for this family, as it was determined that they did not comply with the regulations for taking a cruise. So, this does point out that if you don't have all the required documentation, you won't be allowed to cruise.

Because she's Mexican citizen, not a US citizen and Mexico does not have the same arrangements with other countries for cruise passengers that the US does.

Th original article is here:

http://www.concierge.com/cntraveler/articles/503055

The ombudsman's explanation says it all (emphasis mine):

Cruise lines insist that, prior to boarding, all passengers have appropriate documentation that will allow them to debark at any port on an itinerary (even if the passenger has no intention of leaving the ship in that port). xxxx's wife brought her Permanent Resident Card (or green card) but not her Mexican passport—a necessity according to official Bahamian guidelines. Without the passport from her native country, her documentation was not complete, which is why she was removed from the vessel. Although Carnival did handle the matter in accordance with its policies, Ombudsman feels that the cruise line should have told her of the problem before allowing her to board, as is common practice. And, as stated in the terms of Carnival's ticket contract, when a traveler without proper documentation is barred from boarding, "no refund of the cruise will be issued." Thus, to add salt to the wound, the xxxxs were not due any compensation.

I'm also a LPR (green card holder) and, although I always bring my passport, my GC is all that has ever been required on any of the cruises.

I don't see why the woman would have needed a passport!

Because your 551 (Legal resident card) only proves that you are a legal resident in the United States. It is only valid to enter back into the United States. You still need a valid passport from your country of citizenship in order to gain entry into another country. An advantage of having the 551 is that most countries will waive the visa requirement if there is one for the country of which you are a citizen.

Thanks for bringing this to light for others to read.

But it should have been self-evident!

Only US citizens have exceptions made for them concerning travelling overseas without passports. Citizens from the rest of the world know (and should have known for many years) that, if you leave your country of citizenship, you will need a passport to travel. Simple, yes? You take the passport. You don't need to carry birth certificates or drivers' licences.

IMHO the US government has done its citizens no favours with the various alternative arrangements - Western Henmisphere Initiative for closed loop cruises, passport cards for border crossings between US-Canada and US-Mexico. All it does is cause confusion and angst, hence the numerous "Do I need a passport?" posts.

As a non-US citizen, I am mystified as to the resistance some US citizens have towards getting a passport - it costs no more to get a US passport than it costs us " foreigners" to get a passport from our country and it eliminates all the complicated queries.

IMMHO my passport is just like my driver's license. I'm 61, have been driving since I was 16 and in all those years I have only had to show my driver's license maybe 3 or 4 times. And that was only when our state troopers had a check point checking for proof of insurance, etc.

My passport is the same. While I might not ever need to show it while on a cruise doesn't mean that I am not going to travel without it. I never know when my cruise might be diverted to another country/ port (due to hurricanes, engine trouble) that was not on our original itinerary. And since I am not a world-traveler and don't know all the rules and requirements of each country, I'll just keep bringing my passport with me and leave all the other documents at home.

But it should have been self-evident!

Only US citizens have exceptions made for them concerning travelling overseas without passports. Citizens from the rest of the world know (and should have known for many years) that, if you leave your country of citizenship, you will need a passport to travel. Simple, yes? You take the passport. You don't need to carry birth certificates or drivers' licences.

IMHO the US government has done its citizens no favours with the various alternative arrangements - Western Henmisphere Initiative for closed loop cruises, passport cards for border crossings between US-Canada and US-Mexico. All it does is cause confusion and angst, hence the numerous "Do I need a passport?" posts.

As a non-US citizen, I am mystified as to the resistance some US citizens have towards getting a passport - it costs no more to get a US passport than it costs us " foreigners" to get a passport from our country and it eliminates all the complicated queries.

You hit is right on the nail's head. People here in the US have no problem spending $200.00 for a pair of jeans or a designer bag. But they refuse to spend $100.00 for a passport every 10 years. And yes, our representatives in Congress do not have the intestinal fortitude to say to bad so sad.

..IMHO the US government has done its citizens no favours with the various alternative arrangements - Western Henmisphere Initiative for closed loop cruises, passport cards for border crossings between US-Canada and US-Mexico. All it does is cause confusion and angst, hence the numerous "Do I need a passport?" posts...
I agree that there is much confusion, however do not blame the US government. They wanted the rule to be a simple "leave the US, need a passport" and that was the way the original regulation was written and proposed. Then the cruiselines and island nations started a huge series of angst-filled letters and hand-wringing that such a law would ruin their business and economy. So if you want to blame someone, blame the cruise industry. Well, I suppose you can blame the US government for caving in to them...:eek:

Gotta agree with you there. Having cruised with a birth certificate (before passports were mandatory) and with a passport, it is SO MUCH EASIER to cruise with the passport! I think people are just scared, confused and intimidated by what (they think) it takes to get one. Really, folks, it isn't that bad. ESPECIALLY if you get one 6-12 months before you're set to cruise. Contemplating ANY kind of travel out of the US now requires that you have a passport. Don't be a scaredy cat and just do it. Really, it's not that difficult. You get a certified copy of your birth certificate, fill out a form, get your picture taken, go to the post office, BAM! A few weeks later you get the passport in the mail and you're good to go.

And I LOVE looking at the Russian stamp in mine! NEVER thought I would ever go to Russia but look what cruising allowed. Can't wait to get more stamps in it.

Gotta agree with you there. Having cruised with a birth certificate (before passports were mandatory) and with a passport, it is SO MUCH EASIER to cruise with the passport! I think people are just scared, confused and intimidated by what (they think) it takes to get one. Really, folks, it isn't that bad. ESPECIALLY if you get one 6-12 months before you're set to cruise. Contemplating ANY kind of travel out of the US now requires that you have a passport. Don't be a scaredy cat and just do it. Really, it's not that difficult. You get a certified copy of your birth certificate, fill out a form, get your picture taken, go to the post office, BAM! A few weeks later you get the passport in the mail and you're good to go.

And I LOVE looking at the Russian stamp in mine! NEVER thought I would ever go to Russia but look what cruising allowed. Can't wait to get more stamps in it.

No... since it is NOT mandatory for US citizens to have a passport to take a closed loop Western Hemisphere cruise, people understandibly don't want to spend more than $100 for something they don't need. When you file your income tax return, do you send Uncle Sam an extra $100, or do you only pay the amount of tax you're required to?

IMMHO my passport is just like my driver's license. I'm 61, have been driving since I was 16 and in all those years I have only had to show my driver's license maybe 3 or 4 times. And that was only when our state troopers had a check point checking for proof of insurance, etc.

My passport is the same. While I might not ever need to show it while on a cruise doesn't mean that I am not going to travel without it. I never know when my cruise might be diverted to another country/ port (due to hurricanes, engine trouble) that was not on our original itinerary. And since I am not a world-traveler and don't know all the rules and requirements of each country, I'll just keep bringing my passport with me and leave all the other documents at home.

Extremely well said and very succinctly put! I have never understood those who profess to be "experienced travelers" yet balk at getting a passport. The cost is negligible ( about $12.00 per year) and having it negates the necessity of having to bring any other documentation with you. :confused: :confused: The total cost is less than taking a shore excursion!

Even on closed loop cruises from the Western Hemisphere, if you should need to fly home for any reason from a foreign port, you will need to have a passport to do so.

No... since it is NOT mandatory for US citizens to have a passport to take a closed loop Western Hemisphere cruise, people understandibly don't want to spend more than $100 for something they don't need. When you file your income tax return, do you send Uncle Sam an extra $100, or do you only pay the amount of tax you're required to?

It should be mandatory . As noted by some other posters,, people spend more on dinner out for one night then they are willing to spend on a PP thats good for TEN years.

Your argument sounds like it makes sense until you talk to those who have either been denied boarding (you do not get your money back from the cruise line) because a clerk did not like their documents (even some birth certificates are rejected) or the folks forced to leave a ship at an intervening port that cannot get home (we know a couple that had to leave a cruise in St Maarten due to a heart-related illness) without several days delay and a lot of expenses as they wait for US Authorities to issue them an emergency passport.

Hank

Your argument sounds like it makes sense until you talk to those who have either been denied boarding (you do not get your money back from the cruise line) because a clerk did not like their documents (even some birth certificates are rejected) or the folks forced to leave a ship at an intervening port that cannot get home (we know a couple that had to leave a cruise in St Maarten due to a heart-related illness) without several days delay and a lot of expenses as they wait for US Authorities to issue them an emergency passport.

Hank

Those who get left behind because of documentation problems have no one to blame but themselves. The rules are clear, and if that "birth certificate" isn't good enough to get you on the ship, it also isn't good enough to get you a passport. Everyone wants to cite the minute fraction of travelers who have a problem while ignoring that these horror stories are few and far between and would have been avoided had the documentation rules been followed.

Everyone makes decisions that carry an inherent small amount of risk. If I choose to drive on the NJ Turnpike tonight I might get killed by a runaway truck, but that won't stop me from from doing it. Yes, there is a risk of being inconvenienced if you have to fly home in an emergency, but that risk is small...again it's easy to cite an example but it's one example and in reality a relatively rare occurence.

It should be mandatory . As noted by some other posters,, people spend more on dinner out for one night then they are willing to spend on a PP thats good for TEN years.

Why should it? Should the government prohibit me from eating a steak because it might raise my cholesterol?

Archived