Adagio Strings

Carol28

I just read in another's posting that the quartet will no longer appear on the Eurodam. We love to listen to them before dinner. The person said that they will only be on the smaller ships.

We sailed on the Eurodam three times in the last three years. Each time was a different group for the Adagio. The first group were the best. I was hoping to find them again.

We will be sailing in Europe next year on the Nieux Amsterdam which is the same size as the Eurodam. Is the information accurate? Is there a replacement group?

We hope this isn't true. We enjoy the Adagio Strings every night following dinner and have a drink while listening.

This is one of the reasons we continue to cruise with Holland America.

If no Adagio Strings it will be easier to cruise on Royal Caribbean and Princess.

For for a few years we use to have the Rosario Strings. Then HAL changed to the Adagio Strings.

On our Amsterdam cruise -- June/July 2012 -- we had the Moonlight Trio strings. And the Amsterdam is a medium size ship. Some of the evenings they were part of the shows. They never played in the dining room -- not even on formal nights.

Does anyone know if "smaller ships" includes the Vista class ships? Not having the Adagio Strings would be a deal breaker for us.

igraf

I just read in another's posting that the quartet will no longer appear on the Eurodam. We love to listen to them before dinner. The person said that they will only be on the smaller ships.

Wow - that is a real shame - it is one of the things I love about HAL and would make me choose carefully and wisely in the future for any cruises.

We have opted to listen to some of these talented musicians several eveinings versus a show. The best I ever saw were on the prinsendam. Hoping as good musicians will be there next year:) (darn, I can never find that fingers crossed icon:rolleyes:)

Does anyone know if "smaller ships" includes the Vista class ships? Not having the Adagio Strings would be a deal breaker for us.

igraf

Could be a deal breaker for me as well. I love the string quartet(s). As I do not enjoy the larger shows, they are essentially my source of entertainment.

I would also like to know what is included in the term "smaller ships". If anyone finds out more about this, please let us know.

That would be a real shame if the Adagio Strings were removed from the larger ships. I am not a huge fan of the cheesy production shows which I find to be too loud and not particularly good. The young people that comprise the strings are very talented musicians whose goals are to play with large symphonies, ballets, theatres, etc. A couple of years ago, on a Noordam Med cruise, I spoke with one of the young Polish violinists. She was a student at a famous Rome music school and played on HAL during the summer to earn her tuition. Without this job, she would not be able to afford to stay in Rome. It would be a real shame not to be able to enjoy the strings in the future.

Ithey drop the Adagio Strings there will be another stringed group to replace them. We will still have the strings in the Explorer lounge. As noted above for a good number of years we had the Rosario Strings. Personally, I like the Rosario Strings but I like the Adagio Strings even more.

igraf

Could be a deal breaker for me as well. I love the string quartet(s). As I do not enjoy the larger shows, they are essentially my source of entertainment.

I would also like to know what is included in the term "smaller ships". If anyone finds out more about this, please let us know.

To me -- smaller ships mean the Prinsendam, Ryndam, Statendam, Maasdam and Veendam.

Medium size ships are the Amsterdam, Rotterdam, Zaandam and Volendam.

Large ships for HAL are the Westerdam, Oosterdam, Zuiderdam, Noordam, Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam.

Add me to the long list of people who love the Adagio Strings. I just returned from the Eurodam (Baltic cruise) and the Rotterddam (North Cape). In both cases, I left dinner in the main dining room early so that I could hear complete sets from the excellent musicians and very fine, nice people.

There was a group called the Adagio strings on the Veendam last week - would they be the same ones - 4 women who not only played beautiful classic music, but could also give celtic fiddlers a run for their money?

"Adagio Strings" is a generic term for the various groups who play in the Explorers Lounges. It is not necessarily the same people who moved to a different ship.

The same is true of the "Neptunes" who play in the Ocean Bar, as was also true of the Rosario Strings when they were featured in the Explorers Lounge.

Add me to the long list of people who love the Adagio Strings. I just returned from the Eurodam (Baltic cruise) and the Rotterddam (North Cape). In both cases, I left dinner in the main dining room early so that I could hear complete sets from the excellent musicians and very fine, nice people.

They used to play in the MDR at dinner, on formal nights up until two years ago, I think. I really miss that, it used to add so much to the general ambiance. All very talented young people.

They used to play in the MDR at dinner, on formal nights up until two years ago, I think. I really miss that, it used to add so much to the general ambiance. All very talented young people.

When we were on the Maasdam last March - there were players in the MDR - it was really nice:D

whatever the moniker, the string ensembles have, for the most part, been a very fine addition to hal ships. the 'class' they exude is just immeasurable, whether at embarkation, in the dining room, in the exp lounge, or whatever. though i appreciate many kinds of music, i am a classically trained musician, with degrees, including a ph.d, in music from some well-respected universities, including the u. of illinois. to do away with the strings, no matter how diminishing they have become on hal, would signal just another lessening in the quality of the hal experience. that experience has been so downgraded over the last few years, that i am considering no more hal 'adventures.' i hate to say that, but it is what it is. hal is now carnival. but who cares about us 'oldies' anymore? certainly not HAl, sadly. dr. fr. doug

Is this them?

If, so, That would have really made the difference on mainstream cruise lines. I was Loyal to RCCL for the longest time, but was convinced to try HAL, So I am on Eurodam next month and would have loved to see something like this. What a shame if they do away with it.

Is this them?

If, so, That would have really made the difference on mainstream cruise lines. I was Loyal to RCCL for the longest time, but was convinced to try HAL, So I am on Eurodam next month and would have loved to see something like this. What a shame if they do away with it.

Yes that is them - we can always hope for your sake they are still on:)

DH and I usually listen to them before dinner or after dinner or both:D

It is part of the reason we sail HAL.

Archived