Cunard changes smoking policy

jer_l

Will HAL be next? I just got this form Cunard via e-mail:

We would like to update you on an upcoming change to the Cunard smoking policy and advise you of the following notice that will be sent to booked passengers:

Following feedback from our guests and the results of recent customer research, smoking will no longer be permitted on stateroom balconies. Smoking is currently not permitted in staterooms or public areas but the new policy will continue to permit smoking in designated areas of the open deck.

With regards to electronic cigarettes which do not emit smoke, these are not permitted in public areas but they can be used in staterooms, balconies and designated areas of the open deck.

This change has been for the safety and comfort of our guests and means that all guests will be able to enjoy full use of their private balconies without the effect of drifting smoke.

The change will take effect for all cruises departing immediately after the 2014 World Cruises, as listed below:

QUEEN ELIZABETH Q404 9 May 2014

QUEEN MARY 2 M404 9 May 2014

QUEEN VICTORIA V403 28 April 2014

Hello HAL........

What are you waiting for?

Surely you know how many guests are fed up with losing use of our verandahs.

How much complaining do you want before you do what you know is the right thing to do?

That's great news - the cruise lines are finally catching up with the rest of the world;) Also interesting to see that Cunard will allow electronic cigarettes - that should pacify many of the smokers and make things a little easier for them. Life is all about compromise:)

I usually keep quiet, but I am tired of the anti smoking attitude. Yes I smoke. I travel solo and really can't see paying the money for a veranda. I think you people should be a little considerate. It used to be we could smoke in our cabins, then you complained. If they would only stop the smoking in the cabins we'll be happy. They stopped it, and you are still complaining.

If you are going to take away more of the smoking space, then please don't allow any wine on board. I rarely drink, and I know some of you that are complaining about smoking want wine brought on board. I don't believe even one bottle should be allowed.

If you can't have compassion, why should I????

I usually keep quiet, but I am tired of the anti smoking attitude. Yes I smoke. I travel solo and really can't see paying the money for a veranda. I think you people should be a little considerate. It used to be we could smoke in our cabins, then you complained. If they would only stop the smoking in the cabins we'll be happy. They stopped it, and you are still complaining.

If you are going to take away more of the smoking space, then please don't allow any wine on board. I rarely drink, and I know some of you that are complaining about smoking want wine brought on board. I don't believe even one bottle should be allowed.

I agree. And make small open areas on deck where the drinkers can drink. I hate smelling it.

There was no post above that could have drawn such an angry response. I believe most have been quite considerate about smokers and have strongly suggested in previous threads that a room inside be set aside for smokers. As for compassion - I'll save that for those who suffer badly from the effects of other people smoking.

I don't see any connection between the two issues. The change in wine policy has little effect on me since I generally purchase wine on board, but it does seem to bother many people. Obviously, any change in smoking on verandas will affect both smokers and non-smokers; however, since you don't book a veranda how would a change like this affect you?

Hello HAL........

What are you waiting for?

Surely you know how many guests are fed up with losing use of our verandahs.

How much complaining do you want before you do what you know is the right thing to do?

Well said Sail!!

Are you listening HAL!!!

I have never smoked, my husband smoked. In 2002, he had surgery to open an artery. Since his bad cholesterol level was very low, the Dr. warned him then of the dangers of continuing to smoke. He ignored the warning, despite the dangers. He loved those cigarettes!

When DH & I booked an inside cabin & went on our first HAL cruise (Maasdam 2008), I told him 6 months before we sailed that HAL didn't allow smoking, so he would have to quit. I lied out of love & concern. Quess what? He believed me because he didn't check out CC for himself!

He took no cigarettes on board, and we never ventured into any areas where smoking was allowed until one evening late in the cruise. When he saw others smoking, he just looked at me and said in a heart-felt tone, "Thank you." He had been trying to quit for years (smoked since he was 15). When he saw the smokers, we were 8 days into a 10-day cruise, and he hadn't had a cigarette since we'd embarked. I was terrified he'd ask one of them for a cigarette.

Nope. Since he didn't want to go through the withdrawal again, he ignored those smoking around us. He has not smoked since; however the damage had been done. After all those decades of smoking, he was diagnosed with circulatory problems in late 2008, COPD in 2009, and now we're facing two surgeries for circulatory problems in his legs. The Drs. also report he has probably had a silent heart attack in the last few weeks and blame it all on the fact that he smoked for so many years.

All of a sudden, I'm wondering how many years we have left together. (Married 43 yrs. & was hoping for 3 more decades together at least. RuthC, I'm thinking about you & all the other widows who post on these boards.) He cannot tolerate smoke now and will move away from it. Sadly, the damage has already been done.

Even though we always book an inside cabin, were HAL to ban smoking on verandahs, I'd probably cheer. DH says he would too!

I believe Hal will eventually go with no smoking on balconies but with recent backlash from wine policy probably will hold off for awhile.

Sounds logical. They'll let one fire die out before out starting a second.

I have never smoked, my husband smoked. In 2002, he had surgery to open an artery. Since his bad cholesterol level was very low, the Dr. warned him then of the dangers of continuing to smoke. He ignored the warning, despite the dangers. He loved those cigarettes!

When DH & I booked an inside cabin & went on our first HAL cruise (Maasdam 2008), I told him 6 months before we sailed that HAL didn't allow smoking, so he would have to quit. I lied out of love & concern. Quess what? He believed me because he didn't check out CC for himself!

He took no cigarettes on board, and we never ventured into any areas where smoking was allowed until one evening late in the cruise. When he saw others smoking, he just looked at me and said in a heart-felt tone, "Thank you." He had been trying to quit for years (smoked since he was 15). When he saw the smokers, we were 8 days into a 10-day cruise, and he hadn't had a cigarette since we'd embarked. I was terrified he'd ask one of them for a cigarette.

Nope. Since he didn't want to go through the withdrawal again, he ignored those smoking around us. He has not smoked since; however the damage had been done. After all those decades of smoking, he was diagnosed with circulatory problems in late 2008, COPD in 2009, and now we're facing two surgeries for circulatory problems in his legs. The Drs. also report he has probably had a silent heart attack in the last few weeks and blame it all on the fact that he smoked for so many years.

All of a sudden, I'm wondering how many years we have left together. (Married 43 yrs. & was hoping for 3 more decades together at least. RuthC, I'm thinking about you & all the other widows who post on these boards.) He cannot tolerate smoke now and will move away from it. Sadly, the damage has already been done.

Even though we always book an inside cabin, were HAL to ban smoking on verandahs, I'd probably cheer. DH says he would too!

Thank you for your personal story and thoughtful post. Wishing you both the very best and hope you will be able to continue cruising together for many more years.

The difference being my glass of wine won't give you secondary smoke related cancer. My glass of wine affects your health in no way, your smoke kills. Compassion, I will save it for myself and fellow cancer sufferers who never smoked ....

You do miss the real point. If I drink water, wine, scotch, or anything else onboard, it will not have any affect on you. But if you smoke, and I breathe the fumes, it can have an adverse impact on my health and/or trigger an asthma attack.

Hank

Archived