good news and bad news live from grand princess

tml1230

BAD news first…...about 0530 the captain came on and advised the was a small fire on deck 4 near the engine room…we were losing propulsion and had limited lighting…well that certainly wakes you up!

20 minutes later he advised fire was out but we have limited propulsion and limping onwards to Hilo Hawaii, our first port since leaving SF…

GOOD news… we are about 6 miles fro Hilo…

there isn't enough power for brewing coffee and limited lighting in horizon court ….which was a zoo with limited lighting and people acting as if they were rushing to avoid a food shortage…some folks really amaze me….

the cruise has been typical princess quality and we are satisfied ….as others have said , the Grand is showing her age but is well maintained with an OUTSTANDING crew…

did i mention i could use a cup of coffee? its now 0640

On the bright side.. If you have to break down I can't think of many better places to be stranded than Hawaii..

Glass half full !! :)

Seriously though OP, please keep us apprised.. Hoping your cruise isn't affected to much

Srpilo

i always look at the glass as half full…

my wife and i are safe…..we are in hawaii…almost…fire didn't happen 1000 miles out a sea…the sun is coming up…my verizon wi fi is working perfectly and not eating up internet minutes…

we are still slowly limping towards shore, i assume there will be extra tugs for propulsion to the dock when we get there…the captain has been on 2 more times…still accessing the damage …i hope (i am sure) they have some spare circuits as it sounds like one whole electrical box was fried like last nights southern fried chicken in horizon court ….

it's probably just me ….but i find the voice of a captain... from England..with a strong english accent…. the most soothing sound of reassurance that i could hope for…

so far the chatter from passing passengers has been relaxed... to …." i aint doing anther frigging cruise on princess" to "this is all George Bush's fault…

thanks to all form the words of encouragement.

Good morning from Honolulu.

You made the news:

http://www.cruiselawnews.com/2015/11/articles/fires-1/fire-on-grand-princess-near-hilo/

Here's your weather report for Hilo.

http://www.weather.com/weather/today/l/USHI0022:1:US

Looking forward to having you arrive in Honolulu on Tuesday.

Safe journey.

Good morning from Honolulu.

You made the news:

http://www.cruiselawnews.com/2015/11/articles/fires-1/fire-on-grand-princess-near-hilo/

Here's your weather report for Hilo.

http://www.weather.com/weather/today/l/USHI0022:1:US

Looking forward to having you arrive in Honolulu on Tuesday.

Safe journey.

Sure didn't take long for the lawyers to zero in on this.. :mad:

Not sure where the passenger was that reported about Horizon Court. I was there. It was pretty much normal. People were polite and there was no food hoarding that I saw. But then saying people are calm will not make the news.

We are still doing circles off the cost of the Big Island. The cabin next to ours just got power. Our still does not have any. There are so many worse things then sitting on our balcony enjoying the view. Looks like we have tugs headed this way.

Ask steward for an extension cord and run across the balcony.

Not sure where the passenger was that reported about Horizon Court. I was there. It was pretty much normal. People were polite and there was no food hoarding that I saw. But then saying people are calm will not make the news.

We are still doing circles off the cost of the Big Island. The cabin next to ours just got power. Our still does not have any. There are so many worse things then sitting on our balcony enjoying the view. Looks like we have tugs headed this way.

Cabin next door is my parents. No extension cord is need. Just walked next door and plugged into the wall. :) our steward told me this morning that the power outlets in the corridor are working and he would watch my phone if needed.

Capt is on right now. He is saying that at the moment we are in a holding pattern until they get the port side propulsion online.