Chic vs Formal

We are doing the Serenade of the Seas 9/25/16 for a week cruise 2 Maine ports & 2 Canadian ports .;)

We normally sail Celebrity . Celebrity has discontinued formal dress code on formal nights , in favor of Chic (ala designer jeans ,nice top for the gals & men dress shirt no tie ,nice dress slacks ,sweater ,ie ) .:D:D:D

Has RCCL gone the way of Celebrity in Chic dress for the formal nights ?

Hate to drag so much extra clothes on a plane if formal is still in on RCCL cruises :eek:

We are doing the Serenade of the Seas 9/25/16 for a week cruise 2 Maine ports & 2 Canadian ports .;)

We normally sail Celebrity . Celebrity has discontinued formal dress code on formal nights , in favor of Chic (ala designer jeans ,nice top for the gals & men dress shirt no tie ,nice dress slacks ,sweater ,ie ) .:D:D:D

Hate to drag so much extra clothes on a plane if formal is still in on RCCL cruises :eek:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/beforeyouboard/whatToKnow/whatToPack.do

Have been VIRTUALLY gone for several years. Modern Chic has actually been the norm, but formal "SUGGEST DRESS" for the evening, section of the daily paper has not changed.

Having said that you will not be alone if you dress to the NINES, but the next table UNFORTUNATELY may be in YES shorts or bib overhauls.

Edited by north29

Have been VIRTUALLY gone for several years. Modern Chic has actually been the norm, but formal "SUGGEST DRESS" for the evening, section of the daily paper has not changed.

Having said that you will not be alone if you dress to the NINES, but the next table UNFORTUNATELY may be in YES shorts or bib overhauls.

This is exactly what I was thinking. The name is just changed on Celebrity to what people have already been doing. Besides, a while ago, HAL changed their formal nights to Gala night (like Celebrity's chic) and it made no difference at all. Other than the name change, nothing changed. Like many things, it turned out to be a bigger issue on Cruise Critic than it did on board.

This should not be a surprise to anyone here. True "formal dress" has been dwindling for a good while, now.

Names may have changed, but I don't know that it matters at this point.

As society has moved towards more casual dress, so has the cruise industry, including RCCL.

If you want to dress up, you can. Have at it. If not, you'll be welcomed and probably in the majority, also. It's entirely up to you.

Edited by graphicguy

We prefer formal, have had Tux on all formal nights for 30 years, but it seams to be a dying trend, doubt that I will buy another tux in the future. Most people on RCCL dress well but some dress like there going to a backyard barbecue.

In September on Jewel we skipped the first Formal night since we didn't bring formal wear (because we don't own formal clothes). When we went back the next night, our waiter told us what we'd been wearing was perfectly fine for the second formal night - DH wore black Dockers and a short sleeve button down shirt; I wore a simple skirt with sleeveless blouse and sandals. There was hardly anyone dressed in formal attire and most people were dressed just as we were (but didn't see jeans on formal night).

Does it really matter what they call it? The "dress code" has been "anything goes" for years! We like to do the formal dress up thing, but to each his own. We're not the "dress code police" and can't be bothered obsessing over what other people choose to wear.

Thanks for all your replies:D .

After doing 70 cruises we , have found that true formal wear through out the evening ,on most main line cruise lines has definitely dwindled ;). What is in is dress slacks ,nice button down or dress shirt ,tie is optional & perhaps a sweater or sport jacket . The ladies can wear nice dress slacks with a nice blouse ,& nice shoes & jewelry or a cocktail dress .:)

Many changes have taken place over the course of years & imo ,the use of clothing that is interchangeable for different occasions is the norm today ;)

Personal comfort here is the key about dressing ,imo;)

PS a phone call into Crown & Anchor today came up with the same conclusions about formal night dress

Edited by mcrcruiser

This is exactly what I was thinking. The name is just changed on Celebrity to what people have already been doing. Besides, a while ago, HAL changed their formal nights to Gala night (like Celebrity's chic) and it made no difference at all. Other than the name change, nothing changed. Like many things, it turned out to be a bigger issue on Cruise Critic than it did on board.

To be honest I don't even look to see who is wearing what. I simply don't care. I love to dress up and I do, my boyfriend isn't so keen on it so he dresses down.

:)

Totally agree with your last sentence. I've always thought to myself how many of CC posters that post their displeasure on CC what others wear really notice what others are wearing once they are on their Cruise. But as some have stated the percentage of Cruisers on CC are a small percentage of the Cruising community.

Edited by davekathy

We actually pay more attention to seeing our friends coming in and saying hello then what someone is wearing for dinner. As long as they are nicely dressed, that is all that is important. We do dress up a little more on formal, but this is our choice.

Edited by Desert Cruizers