Freedom of the Seas - Labadee issues today

Seems to be true. Interestingly, someone on the Vision today said that they were turned back by "high winds and rough seas". I wonder if that was the real reason......

If you're looking at the same post I was, the Vision skipped Grand Cayman due to high winds - not Labadee

Not shocking.

If the unrest in Haiti continues to heighten will they go back to calling it "Labadee, Hispanola" on their itineraries?

And that will make it a whole lot safer. Maybe we can make bombs safer by calling them "rapid gas expanding devices".

Labadee is part of Haiti, a severely impoverished nation. Since the earthquake of 1/12/10 it has had UN Peacekeepers trying to keep a level of civility;however, civil unrest has become a growing problem. Millions of dollars in aide has had some but little positive effect. I am sure RCCL monitors the problems there.

I am currently on Freedom. We did dock in Labadee but they wouldn't let passengers off the ship. We eventually left and are now back at sea. There were lots of protest boats in the harbor. It wasn't safe to go ashore.

So what are they protesting in that particular area? Are they upset that some of their fellow countrymen lucked out and scored a job with RCI and they want to sabotage that? Are they protesting rich tourist showing up in their country and they want to sabotage that and, again, hurt their own countrymen who are making a living off of the tourists?

What does protesting in the harbor around Labadee accomplish?

So what are they protesting in that particular area? Are they upset that some of their fellow countrymen lucked out and scored a job with RCI and they want to sabotage that? Are they protesting rich tourist showing up in their country and they want to sabotage that and, again, hurt their own countrymen who are making a living off of the tourists?

It accomplishes nothing. However from what I have read there are protests all over the country not just Labadee. So sad because it just hurts people that have a job at Labadee.

Based off google, it is the second round of their election on January 24th with is creating a lot of protesting and violence.

It accomplishes the raising of the world's awareness of their plight. If they weren't being disruptive, we would all be going on in happy ignorance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The protests are election related.

I assume protesting at Labadee would be an attempt to get press coverage both locally and internationally. Labadee is by far the biggest travel related contributor to the Haitian economy.