tipping throughout Italy

jstroose1

We will be in Venice with a private guide as well as in Tuscany. I am never quite sure what to do about tipping in Europe. We are arriving in Venice early and have arranged a boat to pick us up at airport and transport to hotel. Do we tip driver?

A quick look around the board would find many threads, some heated, about tipping, for example, this one:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2320560&highlight=tipping

Summary, while tipping is very low level in most European countries- think rounding up a small amount- Europeans have also come to expect, to a certain degree, for Americans to tip what is "normal" in their culture.

When in Rome...

After paying €100+ for a taxi ride from the airport I cannot imagine adding a tip, especially since pricing is set assuming no tip!

I also cannot imagine changing the mind of an American who feels they are being generous handing out money like they've been printing it in the basement.

(That smile you see when handing over a big tip is masking the recipient's mumbling of "sucker". They are wise enough not to use works like "idiota" or "stupido" because they sound too close to similar words in English, but listen for the more vulgar choices like "babbeo", "coglione", or "fesso")

Edited by euro cruiser

We will be in Venice with a private guide as well as in Tuscany. I am never quite sure what to do about tipping in Europe. We are arriving in Venice early and have arranged a boat to pick us up at airport and transport to hotel. Do we tip driver?

The price is the price....if an Italian, Swede, German or Aussie arrived into Venice (and they do) and required transit via water taxi another private boat, they would pay the price quoted, say grazie and exit the boat paying exactly what the agreed upon price was. There just is NO tipping in Italy or most other European countries - there are value added taxes added to goods or services...that is all, but in most cases, that can add up to a substantial amount of money as computed as a percentage of your bill.

Paying extra is just paying extra - I *get* that it feels normal to tip but that is normal at home...to travel is to do something *different* be somewhere different and to even be someone different (briefly), ever more so when we are outside our own country/culture. It is a reflex (i.e. normal) to think or feel that we ought do away what we do at home but really, we are doing our best when we try to do what is proper wherever we are - as the previous post mentions..."when in Rome" and so in that case, or in Paris, or Athens or Oslo - there is no tipping. Neither in Sydney Australia or in Hong Kong, China.

One does better to be a great visitor/guest by observing or respecting the practices of the place where one finds oneself rather than expecting or forcing one's practices/beliefs on a culture that practices in another way. People are always happy to take money away from those giving it but one imagines one might rather choose where one *gives* their money away to. One is already *paying* for folks to do the job that they are doing. Kindness and a smile is the only *extra* that is required other than the requested fee/price one is being charged.

As has also been suggested by the previous poster, rounding up (only if it is less than 50 Euro cents) can just be easier if only to reduce the amount of small coins one is left with after a trip, especially if one is nearing the end of a trip and won't likely be able to spend any coins...even Europeans will likely wave off very small change as this is even done in the States...no pennies! ;)

Otherwise, just pay and go with a smile...enjoy your holiday with no guilt :)

Edited by Host Bonjour

The price is the price....if an Italian, Swede, German or Aussie arrived into Venice (and they do) and required transit via water taxi another private boat, they would pay the price quoted, say grazie and exit the boat paying exactly what the agreed upon price was. There just is NO tipping in Italy or most other European countries - there are value added taxes added to goods or services...that is all, but in most cases, that can add up to a substantial amount of money as computed as a percentage of your bill.

Paying extra is just paying extra - I *get* that it feels normal to tip but that is normal at home...to travel is to do something *different* be somewhere different and to even be someone different (briefly), ever more so when we are outside our own country/culture. It is a reflex (i.e. normal) to think or feel that we ought do away what we do at home but really, we are doing our best when we try to do what is proper wherever we are - as the previous post mentions..."when in Rome" and so in that case, or in Paris, or Athens or Oslo - there is no tipping. Neither in Sydney Australia or in Hong Kong, China.

One does better to be a great visitor/guest by observing or respecting the practices of the place where one finds oneself rather than expecting or forcing one's practices/beliefs on a culture that practices in another way. People are always happy to take money away from those giving it but one imagines one might rather choose where one *gives* their money away to. One is already *paying* for folks to do the job that they are doing. Kindness and a smile is the only *extra* that is required other than the requested fee/price one is being charged.

As has also been suggested by the previous poster, rounding up (only if it is less than 50 Euro cents) can just be easier if only to reduce the amount of small coins one is left with after a trip, especially if one is nearing the end of a trip and won't likely be able to spend any coins...even Europeans will likely wave off very small change as this is even done in the States...no pennies! ;)

Otherwise, just pay and go with a smile...enjoy your holiday with no guilt :)

Thanks , this will be hard to do since we are so used to tipping on everything, but this should save us a good amount of cash on my 14 day Europe vacation/cruise

As with so many other issues, you can't just lump Europe together with generalisations.

Certainly, tipping levels are lower than in the US. Certainly, tipping more than the smallest change is unusual at bars. But tipping in restaurants is common, and will vary between countries - for example 5% to 10% in the UK. Similarly London cabbies expect a tip, perhaps of £1 or £2.

As for VAT, in most countries it's included in displayed prices (unlike Sales Tax in the US), and is totally irrelevant to the tipping issue.

Stuart

Thanks , this will be hard to do since we are so used to tipping on everything, but this should save us a good amount of cash on my 14 day Europe vacation/cruise

We are and I understand - it wasn't always easy for me to just pay and go either ;) The more I got to meet and know the locals, appreciate the culture wherever I was at the time - how people were paid to do their jobs, hence knowing the tipping wasn't a part of their pay - it became more comfortable when I was traveling and indeed, I had more money in my pockets too. Sometimes - especially at cafés etc., I'd watch what people did when they were leaving...no money left on tables after they paid (locals speaking the language or reading something in the language) so....live and learn! Moreover, the guidebooks repeatedly advise - tipping just isn't done. We do it because we are used to it - that's not a fault, it's just what's natural and quite a reflex really.

Have a wonderful voyage :)

Rather than thinking of it as "saving" a good amount of cash -- which has the suggestion that you're paying less than you should -- I prefer to think of it as having the service "included" in the amount I pay up front. You'll notice prices can be higher in Europe -- one reason is that workers don't depend on tips to make a living wage.

Wiltonian has a point that it's not quite so black and white as "you pay no tips in Europe." Small tips are expected in some countries and in some circumstances. It's always best to check the expectations for individual countries beforehand. And certainly you do NOT pay the 15-20% expected in the US.

We have to agree with Euro Cruiser when it comes to the water taxis of Venice. The price is already terribly inflated and we would likely not tip the boat driver 1 Euro! And it is the same with gondolas. When we hire a gondola we negotiate (in advance) the price (and amount of time) and that is what we pay! It can be difficult for we Americans not to tip (and plenty of folks in Europe know this and take advantage) but forty+ years of extensive international travel has taught us to follow the local mores.

Hank

We had a private guide on a small group tour of Italy and she said to absolutely not tip in restaurants as it is included in the price of your meal. If you feel the need to-just round up to nearest Euro and be done! We did tip a little bit, if we had small bills, on private guided bus tours or guided car tours. It is hard for Americans to not tip, but in Europe we have found that it is not expected.

So this is a hot debate so I took it upon myself to email a couple tour companies and ASK.. I mean why not. The big question is "not customary or against their beliefs or not necessary" etc... Now this is specifically for Tour Guides, not restaurants but I will ask when I am there this time.

Both companies I emailed said and I quote "drivers REALLY APPRECIATE" tips!! I am thinking about 10%, not huge but they really like the gesture. Maybe 10 years ago they were "offended" but not any longer.

So this is a hot debate so I took it upon myself to email a couple tour companies and ASK.. I mean why not. The big question is "not customary or against their beliefs or not necessary" etc... Now this is specifically for Tour Guides, not restaurants but I will ask when I am there this time.

Both companies I emailed said and I quote "drivers REALLY APPRECIATE" tips!! I am thinking about 10%, not huge but they really like the gesture. Maybe 10 years ago they were "offended" but not any longer.

C'mon, really??? :rolleyes:

Tour companies want to attract good drivers, so of course they are going to tell customers to tip them. However, I wonder if they'd say the same to someone from Europe as they would a customer from the US?

I don't believe anyone has said that the recipient of the tip is offended per se. The people you are offending are the locals who live there and have to contend with the after effects of liberal tipping that is outside of their culture. (For example, pressure to 'tip like an American' in order to get good service, when service is already included in the cost.)

There is no "hot debate." Some folks are willing to part with their money for no good reason and others follow the local customs. And in much of Europe the local custom is to tip little or nothing except for Americans/Canadians...from whom they will happily accept big tips (and laugh at you behind your back).

Hank

P.S. If you ask me if I want a tip for this advice....you can send your $20 to my home address :) and it will be "appreciated."

Edited by Hlitner

10% is far too much!

Of course the driver won't be 'offended' but he will definitely laugh behind your back after you leave.

Of course they like it. But people are paid a set wage to do a job and the more people who tip create an expectation. I wish someone would tip me an extra 10℅ for doing my job at my negotiated salary. The more that USA people spread their custom world wide the more it becomes an expectation.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Forums mobile app

Living and travelling regularly around Europe we always tip, maybe not as you do in the US but nevertheless if you have good service it is nice to show your appreciation. However, if the service is bad then we won't tip.

In Venice right now prior to boarding Vision of the Seas tomorrow.

We booked a shared water taxi from the airport and the driver was very helpful in taking our 2 large cases and 2 small. At our destination he was equally helpful in getting the cases off.

A couple of euros well spent as a tip.

Tonight we had a mediocre dinner a a restaurant. When the bill came they charged a cover charge of 3 Euro each, 13 % service charge, but had a note on the bill saying "tip not included "

Needless to say, no further tip was offered.

In Venice right now prior to boarding Vision of the Seas tomorrow.

We booked a shared water taxi from the airport and the driver was very helpful in taking our 2 large cases and 2 small. At our destination he was equally helpful in getting the cases off.

A couple of euros well spent as a tip.

Tonight we had a mediocre dinner a a restaurant. When the bill came they charged a cover charge of 3 Euro each, 13 % service charge, but had a note on the bill saying "tip not included "

Needless to say, no further tip was offered.

LOL! Just thinking about the tipping reputation of the Scots :). But personally, we totally agree and would also not tip (other then rounding up to the nearest Euro). And it gets worse in some other very touristy places in Venice where they might even add an "entertainment fee" even if there is no entertainment! Have to love Italy.

As Brits we only round up in most situations. Italy does not expect tips, often with inclusive service in prices, and this is the norm. We find speaking English that once the locals realise you are not Americans they have a different tipping expectation. The American tip reputation has preceded you!!

In the UK now tipping has declined, yes you round up in a taxi, partly to prevent change, but so many restaurants service is included, and tipping really is not the culture, where wages are not low and tip dependant. Last year the situation with one or two chains not passing on the tips from cc payments/debit payments has dented tipping further.

This is what makes the USA tipping of 20% so alien to us, there is not the hanging about with hand out culture any more in most of Europe.

Since I don't normally do tours or excursions (especially in Europe), I can't comment on tipping your drivers or guides. While I am from the US, I try to learn the local customs and follow them.

Daily things: taxi rides - I will just round up. Dining - I just leave whatever change I get back. If I'm paying with a credit card, I just pay what is on the check.

At the coffee bar: I will put a .20 or .50EU coin (depending on what I have in my pocket) on top of my receipt when waiting at the bar for my beverage; sometimes I get faster service when it is crowded ;)

Edited by slidergirl