Disappointed with food.

Dundeefruitcake

We have just returned from our first Cunard cruise, a 3 nighter on QE. Had a great time but we were really underwhelmed by the food in the MDR. The portions were small, we didn't mind that too much and everything was tasty, however the choices were limited and what we had was very ordinary. It was not a patch on the excellent food that we had on Princess a few years ago. We are on QE in March on a section of World cruise. Do you think they lower the quality on these shorter cruises or has quality of food generally deteriorated?

Spent 61 days on the QE, 1/2 of the W.C. last March>> May, and found food to be excellent, both in the MDR and the buffet.

Did b-2-b T/A crossing on the QM2 last month, and enjoyed fabulous food(s).

Sorry to hear your experiences were poor.

Heya! I did a food review on Cunard (below) and would have to agree on the small portions.

Did you have the free room service?! That's where I found the best food by a mile. http://cruisingisntjustforoldpeople.co.uk/2016/09/27/cunard-food-review-including-the-fanciest-egg-on-toast-in-the-world/

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Eleteace

Hi Eletease, thanks for your reply. I looked at the photos on your post and your food looked much better than we had. One of my desserts was a tiny pavlova with a blob of cream, two small pieces of fruit and nothing else!

Hmm... I took photos of my prettiest meals I suppose. The starters and desserts were quite funny sometimes they were so small! I'll stick to NCLs bigger portions and freestyle dining I think.

We have just returned from our first Cunard cruise, a 3 nighter on QE. Had a great time but we were really underwhelmed by the food in the MDR. The portions were small, we didn't mind that too much and everything was tasty, however the choices were limited and what we had was very ordinary. It was not a patch on the excellent food that we had on Princess a few years ago. We are on QE in March on a section of World cruise. Do you think they lower the quality on these shorter cruises or has quality of food generally deteriorated?

We found the same issue on shorter Princess cruises. We do quite a few 3 and 4 day cruises out of Los Angeles. IMHO Food quality and quantity is different on the shorter cruises. You should be fine on your March cruise.

You know, you can always order multiple entrees and/or desserts.

No excuse to go hungry on a cruise.

I tried that on our last cruise on the QV. I had the Lobster Thermidore(it was a miserly portion)I asked for seconds & was refused. That cruise was my least favorite of our Cunard cruises. We always felt rushed through our dinner, which was annoying as we were done & gone by 7:30. We've since cruised 2 times(third this Jan.)on the Eclipse(celebrity) and loved it. We did a 14 day B2B on the Regal Princess. First week, the ship was full of trashy pax(Super Bowl week)second week was fine. Nice ship, but food/entertainment not quite up to Celebrity/Cunard standard. Staff, however were the nicest we've ever seen on ANY ship. I'd be willing to do Princess again just because of the staff.

I've never ordered another main course after finishing the first but we've often ordered three mains for two people, or an additional main "for the table" when the waiter takes the orders for the table. It has never been an issue.

Just guessing but perhaps by the time you requested the additional portion the timing in the galley wasn't right for it.

I enjoy the small portion size on (most) cruise lines - would much prefer this to something too large. I have heard of people going to the buffet after dinner for an extra dessert. All I can think is that they have much bigger appetites to me.

I found that the quality of the food was excellent and am looking forward to my next QM2 cruise in April.

I have to agree with Aussieflyer! On a cruise, it seems one can eat all day, every day in multiple places. Smaller portions just seem sensible to keep down the weight gain :-) And, to be fair, we have never found the portions too small on Cunard (or any other cruise line for that matter). But then everyone's appetite is different.

We were on QE in November and we loved the food! Not a single bad meal, everything was delicious. Portions were smaller than standard restaurant size but more than adequate, especially with all the other opportunities to eat during the day (afternoon tea is hard to pass up)! I couldn't decide between two desserts one day and so asked for both, not a problem at all [emoji851]

I note your comments but have been round the world on QE and found the food wonderful. Re small portions, I prefer small portions and have even asked for a half size and they have always obliged. Each to their own with regard to food choices and portion sizes. You can't please all the people all of the time. Have cruised on Princess as well and wouldn't rate them any better or any worse than Cunard. I suppose it all comes down to personal preference. Happy cruising.

I've never ordered another main course after finishing the first but we've often ordered three mains for two people, or an additional main "for the table" when the waiter takes the orders for the table. It has never been an issue.

Just guessing but perhaps by the time you requested the additional portion the timing in the galley wasn't right for it.

The Lobster in question was a very small tail. I got only 3(I really mean it)small fork fills of meat. I don't think it was that the galley couldn't fulfill the request. The waiter simply couldn't be bothered. As I said we always felt rushed on our evening meals by him. I still tipped over the auto gratuity, but regretted it later as he really wasn't that good. We watched him at other tables & we weren't alone in our feelings.

I note your comments but have been round the world on QE and found the food wonderful. Re small portions, I prefer small portions and have even asked for a half size and they have always obliged. Each to their own with regard to food choices and portion sizes. You can't please all the people all of the time. Have cruised on Princess as well and wouldn't rate them any better or any worse than Cunard. I suppose it all comes down to personal preference. Happy cruising.

Comments about the quality of food are subjective, of course, and I will not mention my view on that subject. But I feel the same as Dreamflight Pat about the size of portions. On some of our Cunard voyages the portion sizes, especially in the Grills, have been way too large for an average appetite.

When at sea I like to have all three main meals and afternoon tea. Even if I skip some courses it means leaving food on the plate at some meals. The most waste I recall was on a QE cruise in PG. The Chateaubriand was large and those who ordered the duck were served a half duck which, according to one of our tablemates, was more like half a turkey. Our last voyage (two months ago) was in Britannia Club and the portion sizes seemed right and there was little waste. I heard no grumbling from fellow diners about the portion sizes.

Apparently if you like small portions of mediocre food, Cunard is for you :D

I cruise a lot and wouldn't choose Cunard just for cuisine, Princess and Oceania are much better in my opinion than Cunard. On the other hand Cunard cuisine is unique in the cruise world and there are many dishes you won't find anywhere else outside of old Blighty. Take that spotted dick for example, not easy to find these days, and I do miss the mohr im hemd which is the chocolate version (off the menu possibly for PC reasons these days).

Edited by resistk

"There's an old joke... Two old women are at a Catskill mountain resort, and one of 'em says, "Boy, the food at this place is really terrible." The other one says, "Yeah, I know; and such small portions." Well, that's essentially how I feel about life - full of loneliness, and misery, and suffering, and unhappiness, and it's all over much too quickly."

Woody Allen, Annie Hall: Screenplay

Just coming off a 12 day on the QM2, I agree the MDR meals were not up to par. I don't mind small portions, we being two overweight people appreciate smaller portions. As said, if hungry you can always find more food. We did however find the choices and many times the taste of the food leaving a lot to be desired. I don't recall feeling that way on a previous QM2 voyage. Kings Court was better food wise . I never have been served grilled large shrimp not cleaned (with the dirty vein intact). Very unpleasant. Same with shrimp cocktail (specially asked for), limp and dirty. Someone's dropped the ball.

Consider yourselves lucky. The old QE2 years ago, used to employ civil servants - I remember been n the dining room and we had two waiters - no bus boy - they all wanted to b waiters [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by Lucy Jane

Just coming off a 12 day on the QM2, I agree the MDR meals were not up to par. I don't mind small portions, we being two overweight people appreciate smaller portions. As said, if hungry you can always find more food. We did however find the choices and many times the taste of the food leaving a lot to be desired. I don't recall feeling that way on a previous QM2 voyage. Kings Court was better food wise . I never have been served grilled large shrimp not cleaned (with the dirty vein intact). Very unpleasant. Same with shrimp cocktail (specially asked for), limp and dirty. Someone's dropped the ball.

That is most unfortunate if the shrimp/prawn was not cleaned properly. I do find that prawn cocktails can be fairly flavourless with watery prawns. This is not just on Cunard, I saw some on Princess last week and was very glad I had not ordered them (in fact I almost always stay away from them). We get good fresh prawns here so I don't do the frozen ones unless I have to. The menu choices on Princess were quite limited as well.

Arrived back from EB crossing yesterday on QM2. I have to say that the choice and quality of food and the level of service in the Princess Grill were exceptional. I don't think we will be on Cunard again - we are Silversea regulars and will remain so - but it will be factors other than the outstanding food that send us back to our regular line.

On QV now, in the Princess Grill, and can confirm the food and choice has been excellent. The amount of food on our plates has at all times been enough, sometimes the portions just too much!

If only the weather was as good as the cruise😔 In Cadiz today, at it is cool and very stormy.