Photo ID for my son?

Sky616

My son will have just turned 17 when we sail on the Liberty of the Seas in April. He may not have his drivers license by then (he has permit now). Will he need a photo ID? He does have a passport so is that good enough?

Passport is all he needs. Remember it must have an expiration date of at least 6 months past your sailing date.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Not necessarily. Depends on where the cruise is going. If it's a Caribbean cruise there's no minimum time required to be left on the passport to return to the US for post countries. It just must be valid on debarkation day.

Edited by Shmoo here

Not necessarily. Depends on where the cruise is going. If it's a Caribbean cruise there's no minimum time required to be left on the passport to return to the US for post countries. It just must be valid on debarkation day.

word correction: "for MOST countries".

My son will have just turned 17 when we sail on the Liberty of the Seas in April. He may not have his drivers license by then (he has permit now). Will he need a photo ID? He does have a passport so is that good enough?

The passport is good, but if the port requires a photo ID to get back into the port area he would have to bring his passport unless his permit has a photo.

His passport trumps everything else when cruising. He is good to go.

Passport is all he needs. Remember it must have an expiration date of at least 6 months past your sailing date.

The above statement is totally incorrect, and in today's vernacular, it is Fake News.

The passport does NOT have to be valid for six month after return. On a closed loop cruise (which by definition is to the Caribbean out of a domestic US port) as long as it is valid on the day of return it is valid and can be used for travel.

The above statement is totally incorrect, and in today's vernacular, it is Fake News.

The passport does NOT have to be valid for six month after return. On a closed loop cruise (which by definition is to the Caribbean out of a domestic US port) as long as it is valid on the day of return it is valid and can be used for travel.

As long as you are an U.S citizen, if not other rules apply.

The six month validity rule is for entering certain countries.

NOT returning to the US.

So for most closed loop cruises, as long as it has not expired on the day you return, you are fine.

School ID may or may not be accepted. IIRC, the requirement is government issued.

The six month validity rule is for entering certain countries.

NOT returning to the US.

So for most closed loop cruises, as long as it has not expired on the day you return, you are fine.

School ID may or may not be accepted. IIRC, the requirement is government issued.

As long as it's not a private school then school IDs are government issued.

Distilling all the responses to the essential:

Yes, a valid US passport is more than the required minimum ID for the OP's son to take this cruise. Whether the validity of the passport extends some number of months beyond the cruise is not relevant in this case.

Yes, it is possible that for certain ports, a photo ID may be required (in addition to the ship issued card) to re-enter the port. If that is the case, the son may use his passport, or, and this is where it gets fuzzy, some other picture ID. So he should bring whatever government issued ID he may have. If that particular ID is not good enough for the port agent, a parent can go back to the ship and bring out his passport.

No worries! Be happy!

That is correct. You can find the info on their site under the already booked header then travel documentation.

What it says is(bolding mine):

Royal Caribbean International strongly recommends that all guests travel with a passport that is valid for at least 6 months beyond the end of the cruise.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/beforeyouboard/travelDocumentation.do

It does not REQUIRE 6 months validity.

That requirement, as I read it, is only for cruises leaving from a non-U.S. port.

Actually, even that's not required. What it says is:

All travelers, including children, require a valid passport. For your protection, your passport should have at least 6 months validity from the end of your cruise expiration.

Hmmm, I thought only a government entity could tax me and I could only vote for government officials, both of which fully apply to my local school and school board.

Can you cash a check with a student ID?

Can you check in for a flight with a student ID?

Can you register to vote with a student ID?

School districts are extensions of local government, and as such can levy tax and elect officers, however your local government can not issue an acceptable form of identification for any of the above mentioned purposes. This type of ID can only be issued by the state or federal government.