An unsettling situation with NCL. Your thoughts and suggestions ?

zdad59

I don't get the trip insurance thru the cruise lines because they are SO over priced. But I actually just looked at my policy and it does state:

"You or Your Traveling Companion is in the military and called to emergency duty for a national disaster other than war" - or - "revocation of Your previously granted military leave or re-assignment

due to war. Official written revocation/re-assignment by a supervisor or commanding officer of the appropriate branch of service will be required"

In my opinion, active military should cruise for free. Small price to pay for serving this country.

That sounds nice but where does it end? Free car insurance. Free groceries. Free flights on airlines?

Especially considering the fact that they actually purchased travel insurance. I'd have much more limited sympathy if they hadn't purchased insurance and expected to be refunded since no one would ever purchase travel insurance if everyone could get refunds without buying it. But they just made a mistake in assuming what their travel insurance covered. I've certainly made plenty of mistakes like that in my life and trip planning.

That was my thinking too. They didn’t foresee all possible reasons for trip insurance for a large diverse party. They are upset they had trip insurance and it doesn’t cover their situation. It’s a human reaction to a sucky situation.

Several posters going on and on about being irresponsible and expecting freebies; just not helpful. I’m glad the family who this thread is about will never read so many if these responses.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Wow that’s horrible! All the travel insurance policies I’ve ever bought include deployment as a covered reason as they should! Your friend bought a reputable policy, too. I would encourage your friend to reach out to Norwegian on their Facebook page. Norwegian’s not gonna want to be in the doghouse with military. Also, I hope/recommend the rest of the family will all still go on the cruise. That’ll make it easier for the 1 person to get refunded, and the rest of the family can still have fun together. Good luck to your friend!

Wow that’s horrible! All the travel insurance policies I’ve ever bought include deployment as a covered reason as they should! Your friend bought a reputable policy, too. I would encourage your friend to reach out to Norwegian on their Facebook page. Norwegian’s not gonna want to be in the doghouse with military. Also, I hope/recommend the rest of the family will all still go on the cruise. That’ll make it easier for the 1 person to get refunded, and the rest of the family can still have fun together. Good luck to your friend!

Once again, it is not Norwegian’s insurance policy. Norwegian doesn’t have anything to do with this.

Why hasn’t anyone blasted the military? They caused the problem.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I don't get the trip insurance thru the cruise lines because they are SO over priced. But I actually just looked at my policy and it does state:

"You or Your Traveling Companion is in the military and called to emergency duty for a national disaster other than war" - or - "revocation of Your previously granted military leave or re-assignment

due to war. Official written revocation/re-assignment by a supervisor or commanding officer of the appropriate branch of service will be required"

In my opinion, active military should cruise for free. Small price to pay for serving this country.

I agree about not buying cruise line insurance. It isn't as good and is more expensive: I do think being called to duty as a military person should be reason for the individual to get a complete refund. Not the rest of the party though. Where I do disagree is your statement about free cruise for military personel. My father was a retired Naval officer and never expected anything to be free just because he fought for his country, nor did my brother in law, who was also retired. Our son was in desert storm. I am a huge supporter of our armed forces. Most of us are, but can you imagine what it would cost any business to give everything away or how many people would be affected? On our last cruise there were a group of retired vets, getting together for a wonderful time. There must have been a couple hundred of them.

Why hasn’t anyone blasted the military? They caused the problem.

Did they? :confused:

Had the cruiser ONLY had a contract with, and to serve in, then military, there would be no problem.

Had the cruiser ONLY had a contract with, and to sail on, Norwegian Cruise Line, there would be no problem.

In this case, the cruiser has a contract with BOTH the military and the cruise line...and it was entering into conflicting contracts that created the problem.

The only way that I'd agree with your assessment is if the military actually instructed the service member to book the cruise. (As opposed to saying "Yes, unless the unit is deployed for some reason, we give you permission to book a cruise if you want to.")

Active military from ALL countries? Or are we being a little provincial?

That was my thinking too. They didn’t foresee all possible reasons for trip insurance for a large diverse party. They are upset they had trip insurance and it doesn’t cover their situation. It’s a human reaction to a sucky situation.

I'm very sympathetic to the original family because of this. You get two insurance reps in the room together and you'll get two different answers as to what a policy covers, and they are the experts. A consumer making a choice between policies is at a serious disadvantage because insurance policies have their own esoteric language, so they rely on on-line or sales people as experts.

A good TA may have noticed that one of their party is a service member, and double checked the policy. But I doubt even that would happen a lot; most TAs I've talked to know less about insurance than I do. Online services, even ones I like, may not have warned about this.

I'd like to see the cruise lines move to a more flexible cancellation policy, but I doubt that will happen. It's just too expensive to put ships to sea without passengers in them. They often lose money even if they keep the full fare when a person doesn't sail.

I think this may just be the most absurd and hilarious response ever on CC. It appears that you have some degree of ignorance about formal logic and critical thinking. Would you feel better if I used the formal title "Argumentum ad Misericordiam" so you would not choose to be offended (there you go again) by the us of "appeal to pity".

Please also explain who exactly the sacred person is who is being subject to injurious treatment. I am sorry but I fail to see that.

You are the King of the Hill. Does that please you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I apologize for the original post. I never could have imagined the sh*t show the thread became. I wish I could delete it.

You really should not feel that way. Do not let those who cannot see the point here affect you. I did find some interesting information. this has happen before here is a link to a case on a Carnival Cruise Line ship.

The link as found on Cruise Law News from last year.

Carnival Shakes Down U.S. Military Serviceman

Almost the same type of case as here. At first they did not want to refund ( customer service line workers) in the end Carnival (Corporate) said it is the policy and practice of the company to provide refunds to military service members who are called to active duty and that duty requires them to cancel or miss the cruise.

First Thank You Carnival for seeing the value of our military and that the rules may need to be looked at and adjusted sometimes. To NCL really, are you saying military don't book with US go to Carnival they respect you? If it is good corporate policy for the largest cruise line in the world it should be the same for the number three line.

^^^^^^^

Not sure I follow. How does the cruise contract terms associate to not respecting the military, or any group for that matter?

While it’s a situation none of us would like to be in. Having our employer cancel our vacation, regardless of who the employer is, would only be covered if the insurance covers cancellation “for any reason”. It sounds like their insurance didn’t cover for that.

Edited by graphicguy

^^^^^^^

Not sure I follow. How does the cruise contract terms associate to not respecting the military, or any group for that matter?

While it’s a situation none of us would like to be in. Having our employer cancel our vacation, regardless of who the employer is, would only be covered if the insurance covers cancellation “for any reason”. It sounds like their insurance didn’t cover for that.

NCL is showing poor Customer relations and getting bad PR

Carnival is showing how to great great PR and bild strong customer relationships by doing the following: Carnival (Corporate) said it is the policy and practice of the company to provide refunds to military service members who are called to active duty and that duty requires them to cancel or miss the cruise.

NCL is showing poor Customer relations and getting bad PR

Carnival is showing how to great great PR and bild strong customer relationships by doing the following: Carnival (Corporate) said it is the policy and practice of the company to provide refunds to military service members who are called to active duty and that duty requires them to cancel or miss the cruise.

So, are you saying that Carnival would do the same for me as a volunteer Fireman? There are some weeks where others in my group are struck ill and I’m on call unexpectedly. Will Carnival refund my cruise payment if this happens?

Or, is this just for military? And, which area’s military? Most of the Carnival ships are registered outside the U.S.. Will those countries’ military be refunded if called back to work unexpectedly? Which countries would qualify as Carnival sails to a lot of countries. Would French or Italian Military qualify? Carnival sails to both. How about Malta?

So, are you saying that Carnival would do the same for me as a volunteer Fireman? There are some weeks where others in my group are struck ill and I’m on call unexpectedly. Will Carnival refund my cruise payment if this happens?

Or, is this just for military? And, which area’s military? Most of the Carnival ships are registered outside the U.S.. Will those countries’ military be refunded if called back to work unexpectedly? Which countries would qualify as Carnival sails to a lot of countries. Would French or Italian Military qualify? Carnival sails to both. How about Malta?

In the US the difference is you wouldn’t be prosecuted and jailed for refusing to take the extra shift and instead choosing to go on your vacation. To me the two are very different employment situations.

In the US the difference is you wouldn’t be prosecuted and jailed for refusing to take the extra shift and instead choosing to go on your vacation. To me the two are very different employment situations.

OK....but what if I was in the Canadian military who made a trip to the U.S. to cruise on a ship that was registered in the Bahamas? Would the customer service be unsatisfactory if Canadian military cancelled leave for one of the people they employed? What about the military in the Bahamas given that's where the ship is registered?

Is this something offered to only U.S. Personnel?

How about a non-cancellable all inclusive vacation on land? How should that be handled?

Point being, this situation, while regrettable, has nothing to do with NCL not being somehow customer focused given their contracts state these types of scenarios are not covered for a refund. They also strongly suggest to purchase insurance to cover these eventualities.

Not that I'm hard hearted. Many years ago, my company, after approving time off for my honeymoon, rescinded their approval. Further, they said I'd be fired if I took the pre-approved time off. The Honeymoom was scheduled to be on the SS Norway.

My wife, and our time together, meant more to me than any threat my company made. I took the trip. And yes, I was fired (hated working for them anyway). I don't blame the cruise company (in this case, NCL) for this. They had no culpability.

Same goes here.

Knowing my vacation could be revoked, I think I would make certain I had the proper insurance to cover that eventuality.

Carnival Cruise lines has made the choice as a Corporation to have set polices and rules. They also have the right to change them and to modify as need and as they believe is in the best interest of the Corporation. In large part these choices are made based upon the public image that will result from the policy.

No one can require NCL to correct this situation, but Carnival has for it's cruises. It is the policy they have in place and covers what they say: "Carnival (Corporate) said it is the policy and practice of the company to provide refunds to military service members who are called to active duty and that duty requires them to cancel or miss the cruise."

Another thread on this site for a Celebrity Cruise, from Australia was posted about a couple on a 12 plus day cruise and a family member died, so they left the cruise after about two days. Had insurance that did not pay, but Celebrity as a Corporation after some debate and letters agreed to a refund/ credit. No required but done for customer good will. They had no chance to resell that cabin and had every right to hold to the contract but they saw value in providing customer good will. I say NCL should be doing the same thing here for customer good will.

No one can require NCL to correct this situation, but Carnival has for it's cruises. It is the policy they have in place and covers what they say: "Carnival (Corporate) said it is the policy and practice of the company to provide refunds to military service members who are called to active duty and that duty requires them to cancel or miss the cruise."

Does that only apply to the service member or does it include the entire party/family?

I could be wrong (not sure if it was mentioned) but I was under the impression that the entire group wants to reschedule/get refunded because the one person can't go.

Edited by Two Wheels Only