Does Central Park on Allure have the 'famous roast beef sandwiches' ?

jillyfish

I asked this same question under the general Royal Caribbean heading a few weeks ago and got no responses. Does anyone know if Allure has the roast beef sandwiches that everyone is drooling over that are served on Oasis/Central Park?

Just a plain...... Omg.

When I was on the Oasis they were the most moist flavorful roast beef sandwiches I have ever had. Beef on weck is their official name. It should have been a kimmelweck roll that is dipped in au jus and the rare roast beef with a nice dollop of horseradish cream. Heaven on a plate.

Hopefully the allure makes than as good as the ones on the oasis.

It was just a plain roast beef sandwich to me, nothing special.

To me, a "plain" roast beef sandwich is deli-sliced roast beef slapped on a regular sub roll, a la Subway or similar. At Park Cafe, the beef is freshly carved when you order, and very tender. The roll has kosher (I think) salt on the outside, and then they put au jus on the inside of the bun. They add horseradish, or either of 2 different mustards at your request. Far better than anything in the Windjammer, IMO. YMMV

I really wish we could get a well done roast beef sandwich at the Park Cafe...it is always far too undercooked for me :(

Whenever we walked by I popped my head inside to check out what they were slicing. A few times they were just starting to cut a new piece. Love those ends.

I asked what cut of beef they were using for the sandwiches and was told it was a Prime Whole New York Strip Loin. I don't know what your family served for Sunday dinner but my parents could never afford a New York strip let alone a whole one for dinner. This was very special. We have been trying to recreate it since our cruise on Oasis last year. YUMM!!:D I do have the recipe for the rolls.

• 4 years later...

So I wont' have to bring my own horse radish when we go on Allure in December? Good! I sure wish they had some Louisiana hot sauce like Frank's or Texas Pete. Last time I brought some of my own. Tabasco is just not the same. And hopefully Sriracha is on board!

Condiments can make SUCH a difference! :)

April

I really wish we could get a well done roast beef sandwich at the Park Cafe...it is always far too undercooked for me :(

Agree....Why do they have to assume everyone likes rare meat....(happens in the WJ too at the carving station).I sometimes have to do with just soup & salad at Park Cafe...but they are yummy.....

Have to agree they are over hyped, just okay tasting.

IMO,

Patty

I agree with you both. The first time I had one I remember thinking... yeah this is good but really not worth the hype I've read about it. I have found much better things to eat in the Windjammer.

So I wont' have to bring my own horse radish when we go on Allure in December? Good! I sure wish they had some Louisiana hot sauce like Frank's or Texas Pete. Last time I brought some of my own. Tabasco is just not the same. And hopefully Sriracha is on board!

April

Just imagine not being able to find plain old yellow mustard...happened to me on Mariner's Asia cruise :eek:

Our experience has been (just off the Grandeur 2 weeks ago) that the Park beef was super tender and able to be cut with a fork. We don't do the roll. The Au Jus was just some kind of gravy.

The WJ roast beef should appeal for those who don't like pink or bloody, but it makes a great patch on tubeless tires that don't hold air! :D

April

You making a large assumption that I will be leaving any for you!!

Agree....Why do they have to assume everyone likes rare meat....(happens in the WJ too at the carving station).I sometimes have to do with just soup & salad at Park Cafe...but they are yummy.....

some cuts are supposed to be served rare or medium rare. to cook it any more would ruin it. on occasion I have seen them serving less pink slices.

some cuts are supposed to be served rare or medium rare. to cook it any more would ruin it. on occasion I have seen them serving less pink slices.

"Supposed to" is not how I like my meat served (cooked) regardless of cut...and ruining it may not be everyone's opinion or taste. I think an option should always be offered regardless. JMHO

Edited by Ashland

"Supposed to" is not how I like my meat served (cooked) regardless of cut...and ruining it may not be everyone's opinion or taste. I think an option should always be offered regardless. JMHO

and you are insulting the chef ..a professional with years of training.. by insisting that he cook it differently.

that is why is a true 5 star restaurant you will NEVER be allowed to make any changes to the menu item.

and you are insulting the chef ..a professional with years of training.. by insisting that he cook it differently.

that is why is a true 5 star restaurant you will NEVER be allowed to make any changes to the menu item.

Yikes.....:eek:....Calm down.....I think my years of eating usually trumps his training...and doesn't (shouldn't) he want to please every sort of diner he may encounter...that's the mark of a professional.

BTW: We're talking about (the subject is) dining on a cruise ship....more specifically at the Park Cafe hardly a 5 star restaurant !

Edited by Ashland

April

Also keep in mind it's not horseradish sauce ... it is straight up horseradish. Yowza.

The park cafe roast beef is the new honey stung chicken ... raves, rants, and everything in between (and it seems to get worse each passing year ;)).