balcony guarantee is now a 'bait n switch' ..

BC__Cruiser

Raise your hands, if this is how y'all believe it used to work and has always worked with every cruise company since cruising began!:

The earlier you buy, Guarantees are a little more expensive (basically paying a few hundred more dollars) in order to get in the queue early. In return, client is provided the opportunity to be upgraded to any cabins that weren't sold .. usually when we show up at the pier or very shortly before.

It could be 0 categories, could be 10 categories.. roll the dice.., but the guarantee is provided by Celebrity, as per their web site "... your stateroom's location will be assigned to you at boarding." This is a pretty explicit statement and, having done many balcony guarantees on many cruises including Celebrity, my expectation of the process !

Fast forward to today .. (according to my TA.com), in the last 7 weeks Celebrity has changed the way they assign cabins for guarantees. For all intents and purposes, a classic bait and switch, wherein balcony guarantees are now assigned the lowest in the category and in order to get upgraded we (might be) given the opportunity to bid for an upgrade through their moveup program. The implicit guarantee of the queue system has been removed.

Sure enough, our 3 linked bookings have all been assigned 12D obstructed cabins (7 weeks before boarding). In addition, in what I can only describe as a masterpiece of cynical data mining, the 3 cabins assigned each have a cabin between them. I assume that Celebrity believes that this will increase the odds that we will be willing to bid more ?

Phone calls to Celebrity resulted in customer service I would expect from a 3rd rate used car lot, rather than the 1st rate service I have previously received. (the finale of call 1: the rep pretended to transfer me to a manager but, oops, disconnected me instead.; finale of call 2: "our hands are tied, our computer system assigns them !" and "all balconies on that cruise are 'sold out' "! ).

Before the first rep hung up on me, she told me four times to contact the travel agent.. I explained to her that the TA.com told us that Celebrity is 100% responsible for cabin assignments and when the cabins are assigned. They have zero control over cabin assignments .. (which I think is corroborated by "our computer system assigns them").

-- Bait, Switch, Deflect, Repeat --

Not sure if anyone at Celebrity reviews this site, but the question is very simple. How did we get preassigned cabins at the very lowest level (and not even interconnected !) this far ahead of the cruise, unless my description above of the bait n switch is exactly correct ?

"... your stateroom's location will be assigned to you at boarding." is, at best, a deceptive sales strategy.

Last pearl of wisdom from rep2 !? -> don't book BGs until as late as possible.. in a reversal of logic, the early BGs are 'guaranteed' the worst cabins until they fill up (assigned right after final payment is paid); then the later BGs leap frog over to the better cabins. Once assigned, it appears that the computer program takes over and can't be overridden for love or money (well maybe money ;);):D! lol).

Appears someone doesn’t understand what Bait and Switch actually is or what is a guarantee. You got exactly what you signed up for. Also it has always been Celebrity’s policy that if you have a TA, that’s who you deal with. Guarantee’s and the Move Up program are two different programs. Seems your problem is with your TA who sluffed off their job.

Edited by dkjretired

Yet another first-time poster with a long winded complaint that is misleadingly named. How it it a bait and switch? You got a balcony guarantee and you got a balcony (even if the worst category). What is going on on Cruise Critic lately?

Let me see if I understand this. One purchases a balcony guarantee and now they get a balcony, even if it is the lowest category. Nope, not bait and switch (research what Bait and Switch is). Seems like Celebrity was being very generous before the change and now has gone to how some other lines do guarantees and up grade programs, as well as . IMHO, if someone wants a category 10 and not a 0, best to book the cabin you want and not depend on a guarantee lowest price to get you to 10.

"Let me see if I understand this. One purchases a balcony guarantee and now they get a balcony, even if it is the lowest category. "

as per their web site "... your stateroom's location will be assigned to you at boarding."

In order to be less deceptive, the correct wording would be " will be assigned to you at any time from final payment to boarding."

Our experience to date with BGs has been exactly that-- 'at boarding'

"Seems like Celebrity was being very generous before the change.."

by living up to their promise on the website ? really ? If a company makes a change like this, they probably need to update web sites and train their people and third party TAs on the new policy..

Nothing shady going on here. You pick a guarantee cabin, you are guaranteed that cabin category or above. Repeat for the sake of the OP - "that cabin category or above". That's what you got. Never book any guarantee unless you will be satisfied with the worst cabin in that category. End of story.

Isn’t “Guarantee” pricing at the lowest price? Why would anyone pay “few hundred more” without having an assigned cabin....?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, every time we’ve booked a guarantee, it’s been because they were super-cheap. If you get an undesirable cabin, well, you knew that could happen when you booked.

Yes, every time we’ve booked a guarantee, it’s been because they were super-cheap. If you get an undesirable cabin, well, you knew that could happen when you booked.

Ok, that’s what I thought, every time I’ve looked at the pricing... “do I pay the cabin fairy lottery with guarantee, is it really worth saving $50”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually, to defend the OP, I have checked Celebrity pricing many times and never understood why a "guarantee cabin" on a balcony, or higher, was more expensive than the cheapest cabin in the category. My TA explained that you pay more with the hope of an upgrade. I ignored the guarantee and booked a cabin I knew I could be happy with. I actually upgraded myself by watching prices and moved up in category AND paid less when the cabin prices dropped.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

My history with booking GTY cabins is that it is generally assigned days to a couple of weeks after booking. This has been the case both before and after final payment. I don't believe there has been any change in policy WRT GTY bookings. Most times I have been assigned the lowest category but I've booked at a price several hundred dollars pp below what assigned cabins of that category would be. I'm generally booking W suite GTY in cases where any suite will be fine with me.

I have been seeing lately where the GTY price is either not discounted or just $100 below the S2 pricing. In this case I would not do the GTY.

Once assigned a cabin with GTY I've never been upgraded but I have heard of that mentioned a couple of times on CC but I don't think that is the norm.

The MoveUp program is new and I believe is being used to maximize revenue for upgrading people wanting the last remaining cabins very close to sailing. The computer can optimize the cabin swaps to yield the maximum upgrade $$.

The days of free upgrades or being offered reduced price upgrades due to loyalty or other standings with Celebrity are gone!

Right.. in the non-Celebrity world (at least in the past - maybe they have ALL changed ?), BGs late in the game are much cheaper because presumably you are back of the queue, thus guaranteeing yourself a lower cabin (notwithstanding other parameters like loyalty etc..) but with Celeb, late BGs actually are now better in terms of upgrading because they leapfrog us poor suckers who bought early on the old "rules" of the game -- and hey, if they are super-cheap well that's a huge bonus.

Actually, to defend the OP, I have checked Celebrity pricing many times and never understood why a "guarantee cabin" on a balcony, or higher, was more expensive than the cheapest cabin in the category. My TA explained that you pay more with the hope of an upgrade. I ignored the guarantee and booked a cabin I knew I could be happy with. I actually upgraded myself by watching prices and moved up in category AND paid less when the cabin prices dropped.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

i misspoke... the 'few hundred more dollars' was between BG and the lowest non-obstructed view... and iirc, it wasn't cpl hundred, but it was still more expensive .. (iirc, it was 30 or 40 more than the 12D and 12C..) but the game is (or was), 'why lock in obstructed view, when we can roll the dice based on the 'assignment at boarding' guarantee on the website ? '

My point is their website is deceptive, since it specifically states 'at boarding'.. (and that has been our experience as well), and right after we make final payment, we get assigned cabins..

Right.. in the non-Celebrity world (at least in the past - maybe they have ALL changed ?), BGs late in the game are much cheaper because presumably you are back of the queue, thus guaranteeing yourself a lower cabin (notwithstanding other parameters like loyalty etc..) but with Celeb, late BGs actually are now better in terms of upgrading because they leapfrog us poor suckers who bought early on the old "rules" of the game -- and hey, if they are super-cheap well that's a huge bonus.

Both times I’ve done Guarantees they were done early and they were cheaper than other rooms within the category otherwise I wouldn’t have done it. Your problem is not understanding the rules and having a TA who didn’t do their job.

as per their web site "... your stateroom's location will be assigned to you at boarding."

In order to be less deceptive, the correct wording would be " will be assigned to you at any time from final payment to boarding."

Our experience to date with BGs has been exactly that-- 'at boarding'

In no way shape or form is this bait and switch (do a little research, before accusing a company of illegal wrong doing). Who cares if they assign your cabin at boarding or when you make final payment? I would guess most would rather have their assignment prior to arriving at the port. I would also guess that if you got the lowest category upon boarding you would still be ticked and accuse them of not doing the right thing. If you want anything more than the lowest category balcony, you should pony up the money for that cabin, instead of rolling the dice and hoping (or should I say demanding) a higher category.

BTW, if you feel so strongly that it is bait and switch, I would suggest you hire an attorney and take them to court.

Edited by NLH Arizona

BGs actually get cheaper late in the game as there is still inventory that they want to move the unsold inventory. it has nothing at all to do with how, when, etc. All cruise lines will assign BGs or any GTY at all whenever they feel like it and with whatever inventory they want to use. There were never any rules to the game that were made public to anyone, not even TAs.

I have gotten GTYs assigned as soon as the day after booking and as late as 4 days before sailing. they assign them when the time is right !

Steve

How do you know late bookers are leapfrogging early bookers? Are you assuming those who book after your cabin was assigned are getting better cabins? That would only make sense if Celebrity was assigning the lower cabins to BGs already booked and holding the better cabins until right before embarkation. Is that your assumption? I have never seen anything on their website about putting BGs in a queue based on order of booking. If they do then I might agree with your complaint although I still would not believe it is Bait and Switch, it would be violating their written guidelines.

I booked a gty for my upcoming cruise and got a 2B. Five years ago I booked a special promotion of gty balcony at price of inside, and got a 2A. I don't go into a gty expecting anything but the lowest grade in that category. But I like the suspense. Was kind of disappointed this time that my cabin was assigned so early. EM

After my third cruise and doing the one and only balcony guaranteed I learned to book the cabin that I want and not worry about saving a few dollars or try to get something for nothing. Don’t want to run the risk of getting a bad cabin and location trying to save a few in the hopes of getting the Penthouse Suite. Gave up looking for a Bentley that is selling for $1 because it is in a man’s will for his wife to sell the car and give the money to his girlfriend.

I recently seen a balcony for $1449 and AQ for $1399. I am sure that the person that booked the balcony will end up in AQ and brag about how they booked a balcony and ended up with AQ.

A few years ago I seen the same involving a suite. Balcony guaranteed was the same price as a suite. Guess what the person with the balcony guarantee ended up in.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Guarantees are always a gamble. Don't book that category unless you are willing to take at least the lowest cabin in that category. You may get lucky and be upgraded but you may not. If location is important to you, pick what you want when you book.

It is very simple. If one desires to have a better location, one needs to pony up the extra money, choose their desired location and be done with it.

Guarantees are a lot cheaper, but with that comes a risk

Personally, I love saving a lot of money, even it means ending up in a less desirable location.

We aren’t that picky.

For those who are picky, guarantees aren’t the best solution.

In no way shape or form is this bait and switch (do a little research, before accusing a company of illegal wrong doing). Who cares if they assign your cabin at boarding or when you make final payment? I would guess most would rather have their assignment prior to arriving at the port. I would also guess that if you got the lowest category upon boarding you would still be ticked and accuse them of not doing the right thing. If you want anything more than the lowest category balcony, you should pony up the money for that cabin, instead of rolling the dice and hoping (or should I say demanding) a higher category.

BTW, if you feel so strongly that it is bait and switch, I would suggest you hire an attorney and take them to court.

** sigh .. sorry for the confusion.. I unfortunately am using a wider definition of the term.. where a seller, intentionally or unintentionally, sells a product or service with an implicit guarantee; then after the buyer purchases the product or service, the implicit guarantee is removed or made void. The difference is that it is not illegal (since it is not based on an explicit guarantee), but it is deceptive.

If you like, I could change 'bait n switch' to 'deceptive business practice which uses implicit guarantees which the buyer uses to purchase, but the seller can remove as they see fit..' .. if that makes y'all happier...

Granted, the implicit guarantee is based on my own (and other people I have talked with) experience, coupled with that annoying little verbiage on their site about WHEN the assignments are made. I also concede that their definition of 'boarding' may be 'after final payment up to boarding..' However the IMPLICATION of the term would lead a reasonable person to assume it means .. ' at time of boarding ' !!

My bad.. going forward I will know better..

as for illegal ?

"The bait and switch is a advertising technique which can be considered illegal, but in most cases is merely looked upon as dishonest"

so even if I was using the exact definition of b n s, I in no way, and at no time, said it was illegal...

as for 'demanding a higher category', I'll assume you stopped reading halfway through after you had formed your opinion..

I thought the language for a guarantee was that you can be assigned a cabin at anytime up to the day you board or something similar.

I wouldn’t expect 3 linked cabins to be assigned next to each other on a guarantee. You would need to book specific rooms to ensure this. You can always pay more for the category and cabins you want.

BGs actually get cheaper late in the game as there is still inventory that they want to move the unsold inventory. it has nothing at all to do with how, when, etc. All cruise lines will assign BGs or any GTY at all whenever they feel like it and with whatever inventory they want to use. There were never any rules to the game that were made public to anyone, not even TAs.

I have gotten GTYs assigned as soon as the day after booking and as late as 4 days before sailing. they assign them when the time is right !

Steve

Then they should get rid of the statement on the website or change it to something closer to the truth.. (and maybe even let the TAs know...) that's all I'm saying .. but of course they won't because it would impact sales..

stating they will assign at time of boarding then doing it whenever they feel like (but definitely AFTER final payment of course...) is .. hmm what's the word ?? oh ya .. deceptive

How do you know late bookers are leapfrogging early bookers? Are you assuming those who book after your cabin was assigned are getting better cabins? That would only make sense if Celebrity was assigning the lower cabins to BGs already booked and holding the better cabins until right before embarkation. Is that your assumption? I have never seen anything on their website about putting BGs in a queue based on order of booking. If they do then I might agree with your complaint although I still would not believe it is Bait and Switch, it would be violating their written guidelines.

Asked the second rep.. 'if my friend booked balcony guarantee right now, where would they be put'.. answer, in the next available veranda cabin.. all the lower ones are already assigned.. therefore.. leap frog... QED

But you are absolutely correct - the 'BGs in a queue' is our own assumption.. based on experience and the fact that we, nor anyone we know that has done BGs in the past, receive their cabin assignments before getting to the pier..

I suppose in this new world of cruising, experience is useless and the rules have changed..