Cabin size for family of four on Emerald Princess

Sub-Arctic Dweller

My parents want to do a big family cruise for their 50th Wedding Anniversary with their kids, kids’ spouses, and grandkids. If everyone goes, it will be 14 adults and 13 children. They have picked an expensive 15 day LA to Hawaii and back Christmas cruise in 2018 on the Emerald Princess. It is not my first choice, but I’ve committed to taking my family. I’ve had a lot of friends lose their parents in recent years and I want to make the most of the time I have left. They have given us lots of notice and we have been saving.

My question is with room size and configurations. My immediate family consists of myself, wife, and two daughters who will be 5 years and 18 months at the time of sailing. We don’t co-sleep with our kids. Can we all fit in a standard or ocean view room? Ideally, we want a double bed, single bed, and crib. My parents seem to think there’s way more room in an ocean view and we can fit there, but not from what I can tell on the Princess website. To me, it looks like we almost have to go for a mini-suite to be comfortable. A mini-suite versus ocean view moves the price from $7k USD to $12k USD, plus more gratuities are expected. I’m also worried about the safety of the balconies with the little girls. Is there a way to lock them up high?

I appreciate any advice experienced cruisers could provide. Thanks in advance.

If you know you are booking all of you on the same cruise reach out to the groups department to see what they can offer you

no cribs but a pack and play an ocean room is a tad bigger then a balcony where the oceanview takes up the space of the balcony. BUT with a toddler that small i suggest the balcony as you will have someplace to go once they fall asleep.

we did 5 to an inside cabin. I think 4 to a balcony is doable. bring a pool noodle for under the sheet to keep the older child in bed. (although there is a rail there)

the balcony door is VERy HEAVY . that 5 year old is not opening that door. and yes locks are located at the top

Ocean View cabins on Emerald Princess are 179 square feet. Not all of them are listed as 4 person cabins. A typical 4 person OV cabin will have two single beds and two beds that fold down from the walls. Not really what you are looking for. You could only fold down one bed but room for a crib is going to be extremely tight. A balcony for 3 people will have a bed that comes down from the ceiling and you could fit a crib in but it will, of course, not be roomy. A mini would definitely work better but, as you say, will be quite a bit more expensive.

As for the balcony one can close the sliding door and latch it and it's fairly heavy to open. You could always take a dowel along and "stick" the slider so it won't open unless you remove the dowel. Best of luck with your cruise. Hope it all works out for you and you have a fantastic time.

Here is a video of a (messy!) cabin for 4 on Emerald Princess. Note that the bed in this video is in a queen configuration but, if the side beds are in use, the lower beds must be separated and placed along the walls below the fold down beds.

8TBS0YaPzGA

On a balcony cabin the sliding glass door does have a lock that may work in keeping the 5 y/o off the balcony. For more safety bring something to put in the bottom door track to keep it from opening much like in your home. The door usually is a bit hard to unlock and open at least for me.

The main bed will be two single beds pushed together and made up as a king size bed. There will be a pull down bed from the ceiling for the 5 y/o so the idea of a pool noodle is a good idea to keep your oldest DD from falling out of bed. There is not a lot of room in a balcony cabin for a crib so it would be very tight. The window suites go fast so don't wait to grab one. They would give you more room but not sure they have the extra beds. I agree contact the group desk at Princess and see what they can do for your group.

Princess is reported to be offering their 3 for Free special starting next Tuesday. I don't know how long it runs for. I think it includes free gratuities for the first two passengers in the cabin. You may want to check on this with your TA.

A mini-suite would certainly be much more comfortable. We have been in mini and balcony and for two of us do prefer the mini. Much roomier. My thought is for a price like that is it possible to get two cabins adjoining naming one adult and one child into each cabin. Just a thought. Was good advice to seek out a group sales rep. Would there be a deal coming up where the children would be at a lesser fare. It happens.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Forums mobile app

Thanks everyone for the comments. I really appreciate the advice. We will definitely be doing some kind of group bookings once we know who’s all going for sure. Anyone know if it’s better to use a travel agent or Princess’ group booking?

I’m leaning towards the mini suite. There’s a lot of sea days and with naps and such I see us spending a lot of time in the room. So it being a comfortable space is probably worth it. However, I wanted to ask about fold down beds in the regular cabins. Thrak mentioned that the beds on the floor have to be pushed to the wall and not together before you can fold down the upper beds. Why is this? In the video, which really helped by the way, the beds are shown to at least partially fold down.

I’m also very happy to hear about the upcoming three for free deal.

Thanks everyone for the comments. I really appreciate the advice. We will definitely be doing some kind of group bookings once we know who’s all going for sure. Anyone know if it’s better to use a travel agent or Princess’ group booking?

I’m leaning towards the mini suite. There’s a lot of sea days and with naps and such I see us spending a lot of time in the room. So it being a comfortable space is probably worth it. However, I wanted to ask about fold down beds in the regular cabins. Thrak mentioned that the beds on the floor have to be pushed to the wall and not together before you can fold down the upper beds. Why is this? In the video, which really helped by the way, the beds are shown to at least partially fold down.

I’m also very happy to hear about the upcoming three for free deal.

It's because the overhead pullman's or bunks come down at the sidewalls and if the bed is made as a queen in middle of the room, it obstructs access to the upper berths. If you are only dropping one down (for the 5yr old), then you could have steward shift the queen bed over to allow better access.

When the main bed is made up as singles, each bed is against the wall, with the night tables in between so you have a center aisle to get at all beds.

I had another idea for someone in this situation, but it isn't applicable to Emerald. It works on Royal/Regal. If you book a Deluxe Balcony, it saves on the Mini. They are a little longer than a regular Balcony and have a mini-sofa or love seat. You could ask for that to be removed after boarding and you would have a space for a small crib. You can then drop down single upper berth and decide which way to configure the main bed.

My other idea, is if the kids were a bit older is book an Inside across the hall and set them up there. That added to a regular balcony might be less than going Mini - again if money is a concern. Nice to get privacy and space when you can.

It's because the overhead pullman's or bunks come down at the sidewalls and if the bed is made as a queen in middle of the room, it obstructs access to the upper berths. If you are only dropping one down (for the 5yr old), then you could have steward shift the queen bed over to allow better access.

When the main bed is made up as singles, each bed is against the wall, with the night tables in between so you have a center aisle to get at all beds.

I don't mind the 5-year-old climbing on my bed to get to her bunk. So that would work as long as the bottom bed isn't required for structural support. I still think I'm leaning towards a mini-suite.

Believe me you'll be much happier in a mini Suite and with there being a sofa that is also something that can be slept on I'm not sure about the younger one and what the ship requires but it seems to me that you could do it very easily without having to redo the room. When I was little I slept on many as sofa! So if you have the bunk for the older one and the younger one slept on the sofa with something on the front as a barrier if needed, it should work fine. Amazon has small slide under the cushion rails. You can check that out.

I don't mind the 5-year-old climbing on my bed to get to her bunk. So that would work as long as the bottom bed isn't required for structural support. I still think I'm leaning towards a mini-suite.

The twin configuration is to make it easier for the steward to make up the beds.

Having started out with four berth ocean view cabins and then moved to mini suites I would definitely suggest the latter.

Ocean views are certainly doable and we had many happy cruises in them but the mini suite is so much more comfortable for everyone. Leading to a much less stressful and easier holiday.

You do have to be very organized in an ocean view. Even down to taking turns to use the floor space. Also the space soon becomes crowded with all the children's stuff from toys to buggies.

The mini suites extra room means there is space to play, get ready and yes have a bit of a trantrum if the need arises! The bathroom is also larger and I always found a bath much easier than a shower with little ones.

If you are leaning towards the minisuite, I think you would be happier there.

Princess has small cabins compared to other lines, and packing four in there is somewhat like a bunkhouse at summer camp. Fun, yes, but you are right on top of each other and unless very well-organized, your stuff is everywhere and often in the way of someone else. That sitting area in a minisuite is a great playspace for the kids. Also, you have a tub to bathe in, which helps a lot with a toddler.

Not sure how your 14 adults and 13 kids are spread out in family groups, but be aware that maximum room capacity on this ship is 4; if any families have three kids, they will need to book two rooms (or perhaps put cousins together if old enough). OTOH, this may make it possible for your family group to reach the group minimum of 8 cabins. Do book early, too; holiday cruises sell out sooner than most and family capacity rooms are in short supply.

LBNL, if I did my math right, congratulations on your new baby. :)

Considering the extra work for a steward in general with the four and a cabin and especially with the youngsters who will possibly need to be picked up after a little more I would certainly consider giving the steward something upfront thanking him and making him aware that you know but how much harder he's working for you. Appreciation and a few dollars goes a long long way.

The sofa bed in the mini suite is not really a double, but it is larger than a single, and certainly wide enough for two little ones like you have. Then you need not worry about the five year old in a bunk. And yes, the tub in the mini is great for two young children.

I wondered if the sofa might not serve for both children. Good idea. Was my initial thought.

Yeah but...with the bed in queen configuration, the bunks when folded up (which the steward will do during the day), the bunks become "head knockers". Ouch!!

Best idea was to try to book 2 adjoining cabins with a door in between.

Or maybe you can get your parents to book a family suite and share with them. Lots of room.:D

OP:

If some of you have never sailed with Princess before then be sure to have the prior Princess cruisers "refer a friend" before you book the cruise. They get $25 OBC and the new-to-Princess cruisers also get $25 OBC. Not a lot but certainly better than nothing!

OP:

If some of you have never sailed with Princess before then be sure to have the prior Princess cruisers "refer a friend" before you book the cruise. They get $25 OBC and the new-to-Princess cruisers also get $25 OBC. Not a lot but certainly better than nothing!

Thanks for the tip. There's going to be a lot of first times. So it could add up to some decent coin.

don't forget that there is a limit that can be used at once, so roundrobin the referrals

Question: How many referral rewards may I use at one time?

Answer: A maximum of five onboard credits per guests, up to two guests per stateroom, may be used on one cruise. That's a maximum of $125 per guest/$250 per stateroom.

sorry i have nothing to add for room size

a) Someone posted that an oceanview is larger because what would have been a balcony is instead part of the cabin. This is not true. The inside part of a regular balcony cabin is about the same size as an oceanview.

b) The latch for the door to the balcony on a balcony cabin is about mid-way from the bottom to the top of the door. Yes, it can be difficult to open, but never underestimate the ability of a child to possibly open it. There is an actual key lock, but passengers do not have a key, only the cabin stewards.

Yeah but...with the bed in queen configuration, the bunks when folded up (which the steward will do during the day), the bunks become "head knockers". Ouch!!

Our minisuite had the bunk coming down from the ceiling, not the wall, so no head knocking there. Dont know if all minis are the same in that regard.