QM2 replacement thoughts

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Unregistered, just back from your Cunard cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
Cunard Line

Read hundreds of Cunard Cruise Reviews from cruisers like you.

See posts about:
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 10:55 AM.
Winchester, United Kingdom
47 Posts
Joined Jul 2012
I realise it's quite a long way off yet but I've been watching a few Youtube videos of QM2 lately and one that I saw (I'm not sure when it was from) mentioned that she will only sail for another 37 years. I know this is partly due to the problems with the vibrations from the Mermaid pods which have apparently taken 10 years off the life of the hull so I started this thread as I'd be interested in what people think might happen to her and what her replacement (assuming there will be one) will be like and what sort of things you would like to see on board as regards facilities and such like and also what name do you think it should have. If there's already a similar thread to this already then I'm quite happy for this one to be deleted if someone will point me in the direction of an existing thread.

Thanks.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Alaska
239 Posts
Joined Feb 2008
A crypt. I will be ashes before then. Reserve me an inside niche. I doubt I will need a view.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Upcoming Cruises:
Cunard QM2 8/17 - Fashion week!

Past Cruises:
NCL Dawn 7/16 Bermuda
Cunard QM2 9/15 Transatlantic
NCL Jewel Caribbean 1/14
NCL Jade, Italy and Adriatic, 10/12
Viking River Cruise, China, 7/12
Celebrity Solstice W. Carib. 11/10
NCL Pearl Panama Canal 4/10
Lindblad Panorama Greece & Adriatic 9/09
NCL Sun Mex. Riviera 9/08
Celebrity Millenium E. Carib. 1/07
Lindblad Egypt 3/06
Celebrity Summit Mex. Riviera 10/05
Lindblad Polaris Galapagos 5/04
NCL Norway E. Carib 2/97
East Lancashire
2,587 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
I have lost count of how many times, I was told QE2 would be the last ocean liner, then along came QM2.

How about Queen Ann for a name. Although I expect to keep the tradition of liner names, Queen Elizabeth will be used. The existing ship is likely to have been retired by then.

So long as there is a ball room, a good theatre (better than on QM2) and a separate cinema I will be happy.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
QE2, 1991, 1994, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2004 (twice) 2005, 2006, 2007 (twice) and 2008 (twice). Caronia 2002 and 2003, QM2 2009, 2010 (twice), 2011, 2014 and 2015, QV 2009, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2016, QE 2012 (twice), 2013 and 2015. Braemar 2015 (once was enough) Oriana 2017, Good but I still prefer Cunard.
Vale of Glamorgan
3,455 Posts
Joined Aug 2007
I wonder what new technologies will be available by then ? She will probably run on some exotic fuel.
I think she would probably be either Mary or Elizabeth, I would think they would want to keep the classic names alive.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Email - [email protected]

Please include your Cruise Critic user name and be patient, I do not have full time access to this mailbox and I am in a different time zone to many of you !
Valley of the Sun, Arizona
7,245 Posts
Joined Mar 2004
Originally posted by Host Hattie
I wonder what new technologies will be available by then ? She will probably run on some exotic fuel.
I think she would probably be either Mary or Elizabeth, I would think they would want to keep the classic names alive.
Or QE2 II. Seriously though, at this stage of QE2's life they were predicting doom and gloom. A few years on the huge re engine refit took place. You just never know what will happen with ships.
74 Posts
Joined Aug 2010
I'd like to see much better use use of whatever technologies are available in the future to enhance guests' onboard experience. Right now, I'd love Cunard to develop an app to complement and build on the printed daily programme, which would include stuff like a deck plan, restaurant menus and access to onboard accounts. However, I'd also want the classic features of a Cunard ship such as a wraparound promenade deck and the Commodore Club to be retained. In short, marrying the best Cunard traditions with some modern approaches to customer service.
Leicestershire, UK
1,206 Posts
Joined Apr 2005
Originally posted by Kynance
I'd like to see much better use use of whatever technologies are available in the future to enhance guests' onboard experience. Right now, I'd love Cunard to develop an app to complement and build on the printed daily programme, which would include stuff like a deck plan, restaurant menus and access to onboard accounts. However, I'd also want the classic features of a Cunard ship such as a wraparound promenade deck and the Commodore Club to be retained. In short, marrying the best Cunard traditions with some modern approaches to customer service.
On our recent Pacific Princess cruise we had exactly that, along with a messaging service to contact fellow guests.
Very useful
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Glenndale
2,914 Posts
Joined Oct 2004
I seriously dout that the QM2 is sailing that long for Cunard Line- so I look forward to ramble around the QM3, then QM4 eventually. After 20+ years the cruise lines usually get rid of their older ships! Brand them out or sell them - I have hear of ships sold to Dubai to rot there until it is time to ship them to Alang to the breakers- which will happen sooner or later! Against alls crys against doing so!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
RESIST USA
9,482 Posts
Joined Apr 2010
Originally posted by Germancruiser
I seriously dout that the QM2 is sailing that long for Cunard Line- so I look forward to ramble around the QM3, then QM4 eventually. After 20+ years the cruise lines usually get rid of their older ships! Brand them out or sell them - I have hear of ships sold to Dubai to rot there until it is time to ship them to Alang to the breakers- which will happen sooner or later! Against alls crys against doing so!
Alang in twenty years ? Not the breakers, more the death zone, unless something changes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOmtFN1bfZ8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JU0DXdAhdsA
Winchester, United Kingdom
47 Posts
Joined Jul 2012
I wouldn't be surprised if most ships are fully electric by then, either from solar or wave power. One feature I would like to see would be the virtual balcony that is on some Royal Caribbean vessels. I'm in a wheelchair and the very first cruise I took was a westbound transatlantic crossing on the QM2 and we had a cabin with a porthole and I couldn't really see out of it so every cruise since then we have booked an inside cabin (mostly to save money to be honest). A couple of years ago we went on the Anthem Of The Seas and thought the virtual balcony was one of her best features.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
South Lincolnshire
1,336 Posts
Joined Jan 2009
I doubt that it will be a custom one off like QM2. It will probably be a standard design as is shared among Carnival companies now.

I remember when Arcadia was announced, the cries of horror at such a big ship, and now she is nearly tiddler compared to the latest giants. So Queen (place your bets here!) will be a 250,0000 tonne 10,000 passenger ship, probably driven by hydrogen engines or solar panels!

At the risk of being thrown of this board, I have to say we have only had a day visit on QM2, and did not like it at all! Much prefer the QE and the Vista size of ship.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Valentine Jewell

40 cruises since 1991

To come, number 41
QUEEN ELIZABETH, November 2017
3,505 Posts
Joined Sep 2008
Originally posted by Host Hattie
In 34 years time Queen Katherine will be 69 and Pricess Charlotte 36, Camilla will be well over 100 and very much a yesterdays royal.

So how does RMS Katherine sound. All assuming that the present cruise boom continues,

David.
Vale of Glamorgan
3,455 Posts
Joined Aug 2007
I'm liking the idea of Katherine as a name but not the thought of 10,000 passengers !
I'm sure solar/wind/wave power will play some part by then.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Please include your Cruise Critic user name and be patient, I do not have full time access to this mailbox and I am in a different time zone to many of you !
South Lincolnshire
1,336 Posts
Joined Jan 2009
I don't even fancy P&O's new ship due in 2020, weighing in at 180,000 tonne and 5200 passengers. Wonder how they will fill it, as it is reported an the P&O forum they are not even sailing full ships at the moment! With the uncertainty of Brexit already having an economic effect, who knows what it will be like by then?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Valentine Jewell

40 cruises since 1991

To come, number 41
Chicago
264 Posts
Joined Jun 2017
Originally posted by balf
In 34 years time Queen Katherine will be 69 and Pricess Charlotte 36, Camilla will be well over 100 and very much a yesterdays royal.

So how does RMS Katherine sound. All assuming that the present cruise boom continues,

David.
Queen Catherine, actually. Don't know why she goes by Kate and not, say, Cate.
Vale of Glamorgan
3,455 Posts
Joined Aug 2007
That could be one of the issues, the various different spellings of K/Cathe/ari/yn/e !

There is a boat in Cardiff called the Princess Katharine, I am not sure who it's named for but it's definitely the best spelling
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

New Hampshire
5,565 Posts
Joined Oct 2005
Originally posted by Adammara
I doubt that it will be a custom one off like QM2. It will probably be a standard design as is shared among Carnival companies now.

I remember when Arcadia was announced, the cries of horror at such a big ship, and now she is nearly tiddler compared to the latest giants. So Queen (place your bets here!) will be a 250,0000 tonne 10,000 passenger ship, probably driven by hydrogen engines or solar panels!

At the risk of being thrown of this board, I have to say we have only had a day visit on QM2, and did not like it at all! Much prefer the QE and the Vista size of ship.
Good. Why don't you spend time on the QE in moderately rough seas. We were on the QV in moderate chop & we were tossing & turning. Richard & I had to help guide some pax along the walls of the corridors to avoid them falling over. Never had that on the QM2 no matter how rough.
South Lincolnshire
1,336 Posts
Joined Jan 2009
Originally posted by keithm
Good. Why don't you spend time on the QE in moderately rough seas. We were on the QV in moderate chop & we were tossing & turning. Richard & I had to help guide some pax along the walls of the corridors to avoid them falling over. Never had that on the QM2 no matter how rough.
Prior to sailing on QE we have sailed on P&O Arcadia ( The same class as QE) for 113 days and 7 return trips across the BoB and never had that problem. We are on QE again in late November across the bay, so if we have a rough trip, I might change my mind!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Valentine Jewell

40 cruises since 1991

To come, number 41
Inverness, Scotland
840 Posts
Joined Mar 2002
Originally posted by keithm
Never had that on the QM2 no matter how rough.
You've been lucky then.

(Big box) TVs thrown to the floor in cabins. Some of the bars looking like a war zone with hundreds of broken bottles. Smashed windows on decks seven, twelve and thirteen. Balcony dividers that disappeared overnight. One of those really solid exterior wooden doors on the prom deck smashed to matchwood!

But in essence, I agree. She handles the seas much better than her sisters.

Regards, Colin.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature